Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness The ending of Bloodlines was too abrupt

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
He might not be that smart considering he makes a Malkavian his pawn. Or a Tremere.

Speaking of nesting doll schemes in Vampire society, let's talk about Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand :lol:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
He might not be that smart considering he makes a Malkavian his pawn. Or a Tremere.

Weeell, we cannot be sure how much the plot is his and how much Caine's the Taxi Driver's.

Speaking of nesting doll schemes in Vampire society, let's talk about Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand :lol:

Let. Us. Not. Especially if you value the current form of your flesh.

S.torch

Arbiter
Yep. Supposedly. But nobody knew for sure. Funny how rumors work, huh? Some old sarcophagus containing a mundane ancient mummy is shipped into town, someone drops the rumor it contains an antediluvian, all the vampires in town go crazy hunting for the thing. And since nobody has looked into it yet (except Jack that old trickster) nobody can confirm or deny the rumors. The fact that getting your hands on it is so hard makes the rumor even stronger: if it's just a mundane thing, why is it so hard to get your hands on it?

And then the ending. Whoops. Everyone who thought it contained something epic and powerful was duped. It was a ruse all along. And now you're gonna get blown up and die because you couldn't resist the draw of a powerful rumor.

Genius plan, to be honest. Make the megalomaniac vampire prince crave to get the thing that will cause his death in his possession. Don't even need to send an assassin to deal with the guy, just deliver the goods and he'll trigger the trap himself. Hah!

Yes, but I'm not complaining about that. The ending itself, Smiling Jack deluding everyone, that was okay. But I'm complaining about the lack of foreshadowing, the lack of afterword and the incosistency.

Look, you will say "but some people tell you to not open the sarcophagus" yes, but after killing hordes of enemies and various dimensional monsters, I NEEDED to know at least the truth. And there is no way to suspect anything until you reach an end. You're basically choosing a ending with your eyes closed because you don't know what's going on.

Vincente

Arbiter
But I'm complaining about the lack of foreshadowing, the lack of afterword and the incosistency.
20191104172441_1.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yep. Supposedly. But nobody knew for sure. Funny how rumors work, huh? Some old sarcophagus containing a mundane ancient mummy is shipped into town, someone drops the rumor it contains an antediluvian, all the vampires in town go crazy hunting for the thing. And since nobody has looked into it yet (except Jack that old trickster) nobody can confirm or deny the rumors. The fact that getting your hands on it is so hard makes the rumor even stronger: if it's just a mundane thing, why is it so hard to get your hands on it?

And then the ending. Whoops. Everyone who thought it contained something epic and powerful was duped. It was a ruse all along. And now you're gonna get blown up and die because you couldn't resist the draw of a powerful rumor.

Genius plan, to be honest. Make the megalomaniac vampire prince crave to get the thing that will cause his death in his possession. Don't even need to send an assassin to deal with the guy, just deliver the goods and he'll trigger the trap himself. Hah!

Yes, but I'm not complaining about that. The ending itself, Smiling Jack deluding everyone, that was okay. But I'm complaining about the lack of foreshadowing, the lack of afterword and the incosistency.

Look, you will say "but some people tell you to not open the sarcophagus" yes, but after killing hordes of enemies and various dimensional monsters, I NEEDED to know at least the truth. And there is no way to suspect anything until you reach an end. You're basically choosing a ending with your eyes closed because you don't know what's going on.

This entire thread is filled with people posting about subtle clues of foreshadowing though :M

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yes, but I'm not complaining about that. The ending itself, Smiling Jack deluding everyone, that was okay. But I'm complaining about the lack of foreshadowing

Good Athe, you are clueless, aren't you? Would you equip the ring already?

the lack of afterword and the incosistency.

Do share. What sort of afterword would you like to receive? What is inconsistent?

Okagron

Prophet
But I'm complaining about the lack of foreshadowing, the lack of afterword and the incosistency.
Honestly you are just taking the piss at this point. People have posted examples of foreshadowing and there's no inconsistency whatsoever.

Killing a bunch of enemies doesn't entitle you to know the truth. The entire plan of Smiling Jack consists of only him knowing the truth, meaning you were also a pawn of Smiling Jack.

Viata

Arcane
20191104172441_1.jpg
The third option is a spoiler. Playing as a Malkavian?
No, that is indeed what they wrote, not that you would be able to understand what ''shithouse'' is in that context.
I see. It's because Malkavian's dialogues are full of spoiler, so I guess that last line is just a coincidence.

mondblut

Arcane
Don't worry, Jack completed his quest of being the biggest tool in the setting and brought Gehenna singlehandedly. Not that it matters anymore.

Er, what?

In the Gehenna novel, Beckett did that after trying to rescue his friend who got stuck in a sealed cave containing an antediluvian.

mondblut

Arcane
Don't worry, Jack completed his quest of being the biggest tool in the setting and brought Gehenna singlehandedly. Not that it matters anymore.

Er, what?

In the Gehenna novel, Beckett did that after trying to rescue his friend who got stuck in a sealed cave containing an antediluvian.

Vincente

Arbiter

Er, what?

Didnt he mass embrace thin bloods and prophecied Jenna Cross, then got himself killed for the thin blood movement?

mondblut

Arcane

Er, what?

Didnt he mass embrace thin bloods and prophecied Jenna Cross, then got himself killed for the thin blood movement?

Yeah, but Gehenna is about antediluvians getting loose, not a bunch of proles in LA having a little uprising.

Vincente

Arbiter

Er, what?

Yeah, but Gehenna is about antediluvians getting loose, not a bunch of proles in LA having a little uprising.
I thought one of the prophecies of Gehenna was the sudden increase in thin bloods?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What annoyed me much more then the abrupt ending is the level design, by the end of the game it takes an utter nosedive; by that point you were just going through shitty hallways. I guess we have Activision to blame for that.
Troika only have themselves to blame for the scope. They and Activision had a contract; Troika couldn't live up to their end of it.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Vincente

Arbiter
20191104172441_1.jpg

"when the jack comes out of the box" is just an english expression. In the official translations of the game it says nothing about "jack".
It's both an expression, and a foreshadow. And it would lose its meaning if you try to translate it. When you open the box(sarcophagus), Jack comes out of it(triggered C4s with a note that says ''Love, Jack'').

Vincente

Arbiter
But you know that an "expression" can't be translated literally to any language and I'm talking about the official translation here. Basically all the "fareshadowing" depended on a linguistic gadget.

20180810220445_1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom