Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry 8 tips.

SkeleTony

Augur
They may not necessarily be the best class, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're useless.

Point conceded. Plus there are one or two bows/other weapons int eh game which can only be used by Rangers.

I made them out to be worse than they actually are but I still would never even think about replacing a Gadgeteer or Bard with one.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Hmm, well, you are ignoring multiclassing, the benefit of which is to get good skillpoints and spellpoints. It's more limited than in 6 and 7, but you can switch freely between faerie thief and fearie bard at will because you don't need any stats. So you can get a faerie spellcaster and build the shit out of all the spell books and take all the spells pretty easily, and then switch them to a psionicist eventually (which has the highest stamina, I think) and they will be spellcasting MACHINES. The alchemny spells are very strong for the cloud damage spells in 6+7 but in 8 you run up against too many high hitpoint monsters so they are mostly only useful in big fights or you will be regenerating spellpoints forever. Unfortunately, the high level alchemy spells are pretty useless because too many creatures are simply totally immune ie they don't need to breath for instance.

I don't remember if stamina or piety affects sp regen any more. If it is stamina then switch them to bishop as their final class.

JC Anejo

Educated
The Walkin' Dude said:
JC Anejo said:
Here is a site that has a lot of good info http://www.geocities.com/jandrall/

As for those random monsters rest as little as possible and don't be afraid to use the radar to run around them when you don't want to fight.

Before resting make sure you use up all magic points. Try to get a spell in every realm that can be cast out of combat if possible

And wow only took me four years for 22 posts

Hmmm, I never powergame. I wont cheat by casting and casting spells without a cause. Why shouldnt I just use a code to give me the desired number?

Never thought of it as power gaming just real life. I have to practice things to get better not punch in numbers. To each his own though.

Xi

Arcane
I bought Wiz8 a few years ago, and kept having technical issues with it. Lets just say I have it stored for a rainy day. I thought it appealed on a completely different level then modern hype games, which was refreshing to say the least - from what I was able to play in between technical issues anyway.

I was also curious about group builds. Interesting, kind of makes me want to play it again.

AlAska

Novice
SkeleTony said:
HAHA...you will find out differently. Guardian Angel has very limited use and later in the game it is so useless that casting it to protect against the monsters you will face woul;d be a serious waste of an action.

I have to disagree. Guardian angel also prevents your character from being KO'd, paralyzed, sleeped, and other things from physical attacks. During higher levels when you're facing opponents that have dibilitating physical attacks, I use guardian angel to keep my tanks concious and fighting though, you're right it doesn't last long against high level opponents. It doesn't affect spells, so you can still be paralyzed by a spell thrown at you but can't be paralyzed by a creature with a paralyze attack while it's up.

For rangers, I thought they'd be useful, I found they weren't. Their ability to find hidden items while running would be good if there were any worthy items to be found. You usually find bullets, and the places any hidden items of significance can be found are usually in obvious places. Like, around desks, boxes, in offices/guard rooms and bookshelves have detect secrets up and walk with your party and low and behold you'll find any note worthy hidden items without the need of a ranger.

The gadgeteer I don't like either. They can't cast portals, their stamina drains like there's no tomorrow, some battles just seemed like I was constantly having a Bishop cast stamina on the gadgeteer every couple rounds when the Bishop would be better off casting other things. Also, my gadgeteer shined only at the end of the game. I felt like they slowed me down for 90% of the game, and finally accelerated the other 10%. Most of the game I was beating myself for having picked it.

As for Alchemist vs. Mage, my vote is the Alchemist. They can mix potions & bombs you sell for insane profit and they have healing spells, and many of the mage & alchemist spells overlap, plus an alchemist can cast spells while silenced. To me, that gives them the edge but they lack freezing type spells the mage has. I personally feel the Bishop is the most powerful magic class, and I like hybrid melee better than pure just because I find them more fun. My favorites being the Monk and Samurai. Monks also get I think 12 attacks/round at high levels each having the chance to critical kill or KO your opponent, they get damage reduction, opponents often choose not to attack the monk (presumably they can't see them with a high stealth and choose instead to "defend"), and monks can heal, portal, and cast insanity but can't summon an elemental or wear the crazy good eq in the game. The Samurai can wear some crazy EQ in the game, they have access to portal as well and a slew of freeze spells, and can cast summon elemental (very powerful). But, don't have access to stealth nor can heal. My next favorites are the Valkyrie, polearm is useful for its extended range and being able to come back from the dead fully healed to fight fresh is awesome and also the ninja. Ninjas have stealth, summon elemental, can mix potions for $, and can heal themselves and critical so I should like them better than a Samurai but I don't.

I personally always play with 2 elf bishops (I always had to resurrect faerie bishops because they can't wear hardly anything and always die). Followed by 4 of the same class of hybrids, I don't like to mix & match. I'm currently playing 4 monks and 2 bishops another game is 4 samurai and 2 bishops, my last is 4 Ninja and 2 bishops. With the monks I wanted to see what 48 attacks/round each having the chance to critical or KO is like. With the 4 Samurai I wanted to see what it's like with 6 elementals, 6 freeze spells/round, and being able to wear the best EQ and use lightning strike & critical to see what how it goes. The 4 ninja + 2 bishops I want to see if the ninja stealth is better than the armor a Samurai can wear or if the enemy will choose to go after elementals instead of the stealthed Ninja, also Ninja's can cast spells while silenced. As you can see, replayability is pretty high. There's really no winners or losers, there's only proper or improper character development. When you play, if you pick 2 bishops like I always do make sure they're added first in the top two positions. Those spots "move first", so if you want to bless your party and cast itching skin on the enemy with your bishops in that place they will cast those spells first and then your melee characters get a chance to swing having been pumped and your opponents dibilitated. With them added last and on the bottom, your melee players swing first unpumped and opponents non-dibilitated and then your bishops cast their bless & itching skin after the fact. Anyway, that's my $0.02

Texas Red

Whiner
Is there some way I can look at the details of the spell effects on enemies? For example, I cast Slow and would like to see how many rounds it will remain. It would be of immense use.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
Is there some way I can look at the details of the spell effects on enemies? For example, I cast Slow and would like to see how many rounds it will remain. It would be of immense use.

No. There is a set duration (based on power level)and then each round they get a saving throw (success based on power level). I think.

Nijar

Novice
For a dying simulator it already has too much feedback, for a proper game way too less. Wiz8 is a mystery never to be solved by common people. :(

She came from Greece she had a thirst for knowledge
She studied sculpture at Saint Martin's College
That's where I
Caught her eye
She told me that her Dad was loaded
I said "In that case I'll have a rum and Coca-Cola"

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
For a dying simulator it already has too much feedback, for a proper game way too less. Wiz8 is a mystery never to be solved by common people. :(

She came from Greece she had a thirst for knowledge
She studied sculpture at Saint Martin's College
That's where I
Caught her eye
She told me that her Dad was loaded
I said "In that case I'll have a rum and Coca-Cola"

:necro:

Nijar

Novice
Trying to let the glitchy engine enter my party Upper Marten's Bluff, catapult way. 3rd time being ambushed by 7 dung beetles after bouncing off the wall. Little fucks just keep respawning and hell they are taunting me with their stupid combat messages, oh my fucking YHWH.

They just don't stop.

"Dung beetle stings leg, no penetration".
"Dung beetle stings foot, no penetration".
Dung beetle stings everyone, everywhere. NO ONE GETS A FUCKING PENETRATION! Why is no one penetrating anyone anymore, what has this world come to?

My head in one hand the other hand over the "next round" key, waiting for the toxic combat sounds to fade. Eyes closed. I have to keep on playing.
Level one more time, end the filthy Trang invasion, cleanse the galaxy.
I fucking hate this game.
I will never replay it, this is it, the last run.
Probably.

YES, :what::nocountryforshitposters::shredder::rage:I KNOW!

:didntreadlol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom