Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for an RPG for Nintedo Switch with excellent controls

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I'm looking for a classic RPG (preferably blobber but not necessarily) for Nintendo Switch that has excellent controls (buttons, movement, tooltips/minihelps, etc). I need it for research, so I can understand better how a control scheme on consoles work (especially how to translate PC tooltips to gamepad scheme).

Also, if you have any resources regarding gamepad support for RPGs (articles, anything), drop me the links as well.

taomcio

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Operancia: The Stolen Sun and Divinity Original Sin 2. Especially the latter which implementation of gamepad is unbelivebly good considering fairly complicated control scheme even with m&k.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk is weebshit, but it is a classic blobber from the gene of the Wizardry decendants from the east. It has an amazingly fluid control scheme on the switch that makes it a joy to play.

I just wonder why you need it? Legends of Amberland controls perfectly fine on the switch. It is a bit more cumbersome that Coven of Dusk but still above average.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I just wonder why you need it? Legends of Amberland controls perfectly fine on the switch. It is a bit more cumbersome that Coven of Dusk but still above average.
Glad to hear that :)

What I need it for? Foremost, for understanding. Interface is a critical part of a game and I always pay a special attention to the interface in all games I make. As a designer, I simply need to understand how a good gamepad control scheme works so I can take it into account when designing the base interface. And since Legends of Amberland II is just a matter of time (it got a surprisingly good reception so I absolutely will make a sequel one day) it's best if I boost my gamepad knowledge/design skills before I start work on it :)

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
I have both versions. Some thoughts on the switch version:
- would be nice if you could exchange the keys/buttons for strafe and turn
- slightly bigger buttons on the screen, touchcreen is a big plus. I move with pad/shoulders and fight/use/whatever with touchscreen (i play handheld only)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm looking for a classic RPG (preferably blobber but not necessarily) for Nintendo Switch that has excellent controls (buttons, movement, tooltips/minihelps, etc). I need it for research, so I can understand better how a control scheme on consoles work (especially how to translate PC tooltips to gamepad scheme).

Also, if you have any resources regarding gamepad support for RPGs (articles, anything), drop me the links as well.

Just seek out Elminage: Original on PSP or 3DS, made by ex-Wizardry Empire team. Excellent modern Wizardry gameplay.

Elminage: Gothic is the superior game but that one isn't available on a console/handheld in english, only on PC, so for your purposes seek out Elminage: Original on PSP/3DS.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Glad to hear that :)

What I need it for? Foremost, for understanding. Interface is a critical part of a game and I always pay a special attention to the interface in all games I make. As a designer, I simply need to understand how a good gamepad control scheme works so I can take it into account when designing the base interface. And since Legends of Amberland II is just a matter of time (it got a surprisingly good reception so I absolutely will make a sequel one day) it's best if I boost my gamepad knowledge/design skills before I start work on it :)

In that case you should look at making the most common used actions take less cumbersome hotkeys, and make hotkeys which are used often have rare secondary uses. Making a normal melee attack is L+A I believe, while A is repeating the last action. You want to use both L+A and A very often, and when playing the game really fast it happens that I mix them up and punch people with a wizard or repeat cast a healing spell. Also adding an option for a default spell to be used with A would be nice, for mages repeating the last action is often nonsensical but having a shortcut to your current best single target dps spell would be neat.

Try to get your 4 most common actions on A/B/X/Y and then but rare actions on the L+button layout.
I think you can take the help window and other menus completely off the hotkey system. A button in the settings titled help fulfills the same function, and you only need to bring up the help index maybe once an hour to see a class damage multiplier or something. Really doesnt need a hotkey.
Options of remaping buttons are really good in general.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Just seek out Elminage: Original on PSP or 3DS, made by ex-Wizardry Empire team. Excellent modern Wizardry gameplay.

Elminage: Gothic is the superior game but that one isn't available on a console/handheld in english, only on PC, so for your purposes seek out Elminage: Original on PSP/3DS.

Also to Chris Koźmik do not use Elminage as UI inspiration. The games have amazing gameplay but atrocious interfaces which are the opposite from what you are searching. Absolutely do play them for gameplay inspiration, especially the spells. Legends of Amberland I has very uninteresting magic, Elminage has some of the most fun spells in blobbers.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I never had any problem with Elminage UI, but you understand how good the games are so I gave you a brofist ^_^

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I never had any problem with Elminage UI, but you understand how good the games are so I gave you a brofist ^_^

Having to go to menu > show character status > click character > spells or inventory for the respective menu is a crime. There should be a button that directly brings you to choosing a character and one that directly brings you into that combined inventory that Gather + Sell uses.

https://elminage-gothic.fandom.com/wiki/Spells here for the Devs convenience. Doesnt look like much on paper but is worlds above Amberland in practise.
In Amberland you just activate all your daily buffs, then in combat you either use your current best single target damage spell or your best aoe spell. Ocassionally you heal with your dedicated healer.
In Elminage pretty much all spells from all levels have a use in some way, and while damage can be good to nuke a particularily dangerous beheading row buffs and debuffs are often much better.
Also the summoner class might be hard to integrate into something as simple as Amberland, but it is amazing and all blobbers should have it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom