Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock How do I play PlayStation 2 games?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Xbox is great alternative, much more reliable as hardware, has better multiplatform ports (e.g. Just Cause is a joke on PS2), is still cheap as fuck plus is emulation heaven. It really doesn't deserve reputation of 'Halo machine that killed PC gaming' or something.

Because it really is just an Halo machine. Just compare exclusives.
Aside from Halo 1/2 and Ninja Gaiden Black, the OG XBox has fucking nothing worthwhile. Because even at the time all it's other games existed either on the PC or had better versions in the other platforms.
Not including the Dreamcast, it was the worst console in the 6th generation in terms of software.

With the PS2, just in terms of exclusives you had great shit like: Godhand; DMC3:SE; MGS3:Subsistence; SMT:Nocturne; Tekken 5; Silent Hill 2; Disgae; Gran Turismo 4; etc...
And even the GameCube while not with as extensive library as the PS2, you would still get much more bang for your buck than the XBox: REmake; Metroid Prime 1+2; F-Zero GX; SSB Melee; Four Swords Adventures; P.N.03; FE: Path of Radiance; Pikimin; etc...

Last edited:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
Aside from Halo 1/2 and Ninja Gaiden Black, the OG XBox has fucking nothing worthwhile.
PS2 is a great console but that doesn't mean there wasn't good stuff to be found elsewhere; I find the OG XBOX a more compelling console than the Cube, with many exclusive SEGA titles of great quality, from which I'd like to highlight Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future, not to mention games like Outrun 2 and Shenmue 2, whose XBOX versions provided the first contact for many people. It also had many graphical prodigies like Rallisport Chalenge 1 & 2, or Forza. Or the hilarious Metal Wolf Chaos. What about its exclusive installments of the DOA series? the Project Gotham titles? the fun Otogi games? selective memory is a hell of a drug.

Just because Nintendo is stingy and doesn't really re-release stuff, that doesn't make the XBox retroactively bad. Going by that argument, you could argue that the Turbografx is a better console than the Mega Drive/Genesis just because most of the latter's catalogue has been re-released way after the fact.

But since you also dismissed the Dreamcast, it simply confirms that I'm arguing with someone with shit taste. How the hell do you include Ikaruga as a pro for the cube (a very shoddy port) when it was originally a Dreamcast/Arcade title? doesn't that dismiss you whole argument about ports and re-releases being a negative?

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What selective memory.
Even if you include those games, both the PS2 and GC still have more worthwhile libraries.

And even some of those games you mentioned have better counterparts in the other 2 two consoles.
F-Zero GX is still the best arcade racer, only the Wipeout games come close. And for more grounded racing games Gran Turismo 4 was the best one in that generation.
For Brawlers, if you're name wasn't Ninja Gaiden, DMC3 and Godhand mopped the floor with every competitor so there goes your Otogi.
And DOA is a Tekken wannabe

So again, aside from a handful of exclusives, everything the XBox had, it existed elsewhere - either on the PC or a better alternatives in it's other two main competitors.
The only reason to own one today is that it's a very good platform to emulate on, due to it's hardware being closer to a PC's than a game console.

Just because Nintendo is stingy and doesn't really re-release stuff, that doesn't make the XBox retroactively bad.

I made it pretty clear point that I was comparing these consoles worth based on their library at the time.

it simply confirms that I'm arguing with someone with shit taste.

kek
Says the guy that includes Shenmue as a "great quality title" :lol:

you also dismissed the Dreamcast

What about the Dreamcast?

How the hell do you include Ikaruga as a pro for the cube (a very shoddy port) when it was originally a Dreamcast/Arcade title?

?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikaruga

Oh it was ported to the Dreamcast. Ok my bad.
I thought it was only ported to the GameCube before the going to the XBox Live.
I'll edit that post then.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Aside from Halo 1/2 and Ninja Gaiden Black, the OG XBox has fucking nothing worthwhile. Because even at the time all it's other games existed either on the PC or had better versions in the other platforms.

If you weren't a PC gamer it had some other "console exclusives" that were a big deal, like Morrowind or Doom 3 for example, but yeah overall there's not much on it you couldn't get elsewhere. Which I assume is why Xbox emulation is so slow going, since there's not much exclusive to it people care about. Which is a shame since I'd like to check out some games that were much better on Xbox, like Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

Aside from Halo 1/2 and Ninja Gaiden Black, the OG XBox has fucking nothing worthwhile.

Magatama?
Otogi?
Otogi 2?
Panzer Dragoon Orta?
Shin Megami Tensei: Nine?
Metal Dungeon?
Metal Wolf Chaos?
Gunvalkyrie?
Conker: Live and Reloaded?
Forza Motorsport?
Dead or Alive 3?
Jet Set Radio Future?
Quantum Redshift?
Unreal Championship?
Unreal Championship 2?
Phantom Dust?
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes?
Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders?

There is more but I haven't played everything yet plus there are some genres I'm not interested in (Wapanese Shumps) but saying that Xbox has no worthwile exclusives besides Halo is ridiculous.

Zlaja

Arcane
I don't quite get what you're after. Do you wanna pirate the games and play them on a chipped console or what?Unless you're poor just keep it simple and buy a used ps2 and then buy used games off ebay. My ps2 has lasted me 19 years and still runs without a hitch.

While PCSX2 is a pretty good emulator, it has always had unbearable input lag. It's well documented and on the order of around 9-10 frames at the very least.

For that reason alone, I'd prefer to play the games on an actual console, unless all you're interested in are JRPGs and other stuff that doesn't require much snappiness.

Citizen

Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough for this stuff, but I've played through few games with PCSX2 this year (using a wireless controller for even more input lag!) and never even thought of it lagging

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom