Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon protagonist RPGs

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imagine lvl 1 demon MC having trouble with rats in the sewers or goblins with rusty daggers, that would be fucking hilarious.

You can have an RPG where the enemies aren't sewer rats and level 1 goblins, btw.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In Bound by Flame you begin by fighting legions of undead and soon the first boss appears: a hulkish brute supported by numerous archers.

Even demonic possession is not enough to even such odds.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So many answers and noone mentioned Bound by Flame yet?

It's an action rpg by Spiders. Very ambitious, if somewhat hampered by inadequate budget.

Your PC was possessed by a demon. Now the interesting thing is you can choose whether you keep your humanity or succumb to demonic possession, receiving new powers (and a new look - when horns grow on your head you may no longer use a helmets etc).

Demonic path is easier, because you get stronger. But by choosing it you cut yourself off from certain endings.
I was about to mention it, but it is also a terrible RPG IMO.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
You can be possessed by a demon in Atom, but it's a pretty small aspect of the game.
Yeah I am still possessed as I play. I wonder whether they will have a small bonus for players who manage to play Atom 1.5 Trudograd while being possessed from Atom 1.0 :)...

I am trying to keep the curse meanwhile, even though it is not grezt in terms of stats.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Yeah I am still possessed as I play. I wonder whether they will have a small bonus for players who manage to play Atom 1.5 Trudograd while being possessed from Atom 1.0 :)...

I am trying to keep the curse meanwhile, even though it is not grezt in terms of stats.

I've played through what's available of Trudograd so far. I imported my character and I still have all my tattoos, so I would guess it would be the same. No idea how far that will affect gameplay though.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Asura: Vengeance Edition is a great indie action rogue-like. Also uses underused hindu setting. The voice acting is so good that it even makes hindi sound cool.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Asura: Vengeance Edition is a great indie action rogue-like. Also uses underused hindu setting. The voice acting is so good that it even makes hindi sound cool.

Yes! That game was pretty good. Too short, but fun.

EDIT:

Also: Overlord 1 and 2.

I'm not 100 % sure whether the Overlord's nature is ever really specified to be Demon. But it kinda feels like that. :) Maybe something like "Revenant" is more exact. Dunno.

Thal

Prophet
It would be cool to have a game set in Blood War where you started out as a Lemure or Mane and worked your way up. Would probably be an ARPG, given the subject matter.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Yes! That game was pretty good. Too short, but fun.

It's supposed to be played over and over, like any other roguelike. You won't get the full story unless you beat it on a harder difficulty either.

It's later revealed that Hasirama performed human sacrifice using a baby (your character) who then came back as a demon for revenge.

Unwanted

†††

Patron

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Did you guys know any Rpgs that have a Demon MC, or at least lets you play as one?

I think Hard West fits your requirements.
While not exactly a demon, the main protagonist is a fresh out from hell undead kind of guy.

BJcbO0b.png

Overall themes are pretty grimdark as well, with characters gaining bonuses for eating babies and all that.

Peachcurl

Cipher
It's supposed to be played over and over, like any other roguelike. You won't get the full story unless you beat it on a harder difficulty either.

Sorry, I was a bit vague. I found it to on the short side even taking replays into account (compared to other contemporary roguelikes that is).

I spent 14.5 hours on it. Of course I could keep playing, but after that it's really only repetition without anything new.

As a an example for comparison: I spent 22 hours on Children of Morta (finished, but did not experience all the details, nor did I try newgame+).

Drikaukal

It would be cool to have a game set in Blood War where you started out as a Lemure or Mane and worked your way up. Would probably be an ARPG, given the subject matter.
This! I would fucking love this.

Drikaukal

How is it that so far no one said VTMB?
Vampires are literally humans turned demons.
Not really, no. There are actual demons in the WoD universe and they are nothing like vampires. I love VTMB but i dont think it fits the ''Demon rpg'' description. Is like comparing a Werewolf with an Ogre because they are both big and nasty.
Also i did another post here for Vampire protagonist games a couple of days ago, and VTMB was the favorite there by a lot (and for good reasons)

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess it depends on how you define "demon".
For me it's a being with infernal origin. So vampires do not really fit the bill.

But speaking about obvious choices.
Do you remember that old game, where the MC has god of murder blood in his veins?;)
And about half-way trough the 2nd part he actually turns into a Slayer demon.
Afterwards he gains ability to go demon-mode at will.

Drikaukal

For me it's a being with infernal origin. So vampires do not really fit the bill.

Do you remember that old game, where the MC has god of murder blood in his veins?;)
Are you talking about Dark Messiah or im completly lost?

Drikaukal

Pathfinder you can play a tiefling with demospawn heritage.
I refuse to try Kingmaker again. The concept was awesome but the execution, for me at least, lack something to be good. Or maybe i get bored of watching my party SLOOOOOWLY travel through the map for every. Little. Mission.

spectre

Arcane

Are you talking about Dark Messiah or im completly lost?
Baldur's Gate 2, obviously.

Calling Revenant and RPG would be a bit of a stretch imo, yet that's how it's classified.
The protagonist is essentially raised from the dead as a demonic vessel.

If we're willing to stretch the OP's definition and just go for the general feel, we have games like Summoner
while this may not be exactly what OP's ordered, I'd say it captures the feel of being an outcast infused by a power from beyond this world you can barely understand and come to terms with.
Another one is Gorasul, Legacy of the Dragon. Obviously, dragons aren't deamons, but if you're willing to squint just right...
I am told the English translation is rather hilarious.

Technomancer

Liturgist
If those are the only prerequisites then MGSV.
In Fables you also get evil demonic aura, weird skin color and even wings.

The Dark Eye - Demonicon

Devil May Cry if you don't mind a slasher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom