Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing PST for the first time. Any advice?

Jigby

Augur
Stat distribution WIS18 CON18 INT12. On the first 2 lvlups pump INT to 14, buy 2x +1INT tatoos for INT 16. First thing after getting out of the mortuary go the the smoldering corpse bar. There's an NPC that will give you +1WIS permanently. Rest of the lvl ups go to STR (Edit:CON to 21, rest goes to STR). Use strength of one (or whatever it's called) to raise STR temporarily for combat. Profit. Also wtf? You're playing it for the first time only now? Enjoy.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Stat distribution WIS18 CON18 INT12.

That's pretty poor stat distribution advice for someone on a first run, as it doesn't factor in Zerthimon which increases power progression significantly (not only for TNO, but also for Dak'kon).

Wisdom is a no-brainer but it is better not to max Constitution at the start; instead crank Intelligence. And also dabble in Dex and Cha for what they open up in early-to-mid.

Jigby

Augur
Stat distribution WIS18 CON18 INT12.

That's pretty poor stat distribution advice for someone on a first run, as it doesn't factor in Zerthimon which increases power progression significantly (not only for TNO, but also for Dak'kon).

Wisdom is a no-brainer but it is better not to max Constitution at the start; instead crank Intelligence. And also dabble in Dex and Cha for what they open up in early-to-mid.
Well, it's mostly designed so that the character doesn't suck too much in combat. 16 INT is good enough for 95% of content. The important checks that will be missing are Zerthimon and a couple of endgame INT checks so he will have to metagame there with cranium rat charms. There are only 3 CHA checks that I can think of right now (Stale mary, Ravel and Nordom upgrade) where he will have to metagame with the Friends spell. (Ravel and Nordom upgrade seem like a no brainer, for Stale Mary he'll have to look it up in a guide). Ehh, he can balance it differently I guess depending on how much suck he wants to endure during combat. I don't think this stat distribution requires too much metaknowledge, Stale Mary being the worst case.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The important checks that will be missing are Zerthimon

But man, you DO need Zerthimon check passed! MCA's writing here is so powerful:
The Fields were where the bodies of the People were cast after the *illithids* had consumed their brains. When the brain had been devoured, the husks came to be fertilizer to grow the poison-stemmed grasses of the *illithids.* Zerthimon worked the Fields with no *knowing* of himself or what he had become. He was a tool of flesh, and the flesh was content.

It was upon these fields that Zerthimon came to *know* the scripture of steel. During one of the turnings, as Zerthimon tilled the Fields with his hands, he came across a husk whose brain remained within it. It had not been used as food. Yet it was dead.

The thought that one of the husks had died a death without serving as food for the *illithids* was a thought Zerthimon had difficulty understanding. From that thought, came a desire to *know* what had happened to the husk.

Embedded in the skull of the husk was a steel blade. It had pierced the bone. Zerthimon realized that was what had killed the husk. The steel had marked the flesh, but the flesh had not marked the steel.

Zerthimon took the blade and studied its surface. In it, he saw his reflection. It was in the reflection of the steel that Zerthimon first *knew* himself. Its edge was sharp, its will the wearer's. It was the blade that would come to be raised against Gith when Zerthimon made the Pronouncement of Two Skies.

Zerthimon kept the blade for many turnings, and many were the thoughts he had about it. He used it in the fields to aid his work. In using it, he thought about how it was not used.

The *illithids* were powerful. Zerthimon had believed that there was nothing that they did not *know.* Yet the *illithids* never carried tools of steel. They only used flesh as tools. Everything was done through flesh, for the tentacled ones were made of flesh and they *knew* flesh. Yet steel was superior to flesh. When the blade had killed the husk, it was the flesh that had been weaker than the steel.

It was then that Zerthimon came to *know* that flesh yielded to steel. In *knowing* that, he came to *know* that steel was stronger than the *illithids.*

Steel became the scripture of the People. *Know* that steel is the scripture by which the People came to *know* freedom.

And this is only the Second Circle of Eight.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I used to be impressed with >werewolf regeneration (i.e, 25 Con), but it doesn't really offer that much because damage inflicted far outweighs regenerative power/HPs (even on Embalmed TNOs, which is itself extremely specific supertanking that most players won't even know of, even today).

Int 18 (and Wis 19) is going to unlock 8th circle of Zerthimon, which not only results in huge lorefaggotry but also in non-trivial XP gain, +12 spell scrolls and Str +1, Dex +1 and Con +2 to Dak'kon almost straight of the blocks.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Except TNO can't AC-lord. And even heavily embalmed, he gets ripped apart by mobs. If by unkillable you mean running away to the exits with mobs hot on your heels and mad as hell, or quaffing stackable charms, then ofc, Captain Obvious.
Maxed CON, high AG, various items to improve AC. With this I was soloing UnderSigil without any problems, and without even using any charms.

Normal difficulty, of course, playing PST on highest is like jerking off from squat, absolutely pointless.

Dramart

Learned
If you play the enhanced edition choose the option to get max hit points when you level up. Play as a fighter, if you play the old version I believe dexterity is better than constitution, if you have at least 15dex you get 1ac point for each point you add from then.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I went with wis 18 int 17 rest 10, not having a hard time so far, have just killed this rotten william and his gang with no trouble. Trying to explore the area and see where I can find someone to turn me into a wizard and where I can find this Dak'kon people have mentioned. Should I be talking shit to the skull? I keep making fun of him for not having a body and for his disgusting necrophilia fetish, hope it doesn't bite me in the ass later.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
1. Lilura, stop shilling your blog. Be a man about it.

2. Ramnozack - one thing I would recommend is getting the Mage class as soon as you exit the Mortuary. Check a walkthrough if you don't know where the relevant NPC is (Mebbeth) and go from there. Only after gaining the Mage class, continue with the rest of the game.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
zwcBIWS.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
The game allows you to do some very unconventional interactions, so it's good to try out some more crazy stuff, if only for the fun of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom