Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spelunky 2

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Doesn't work on Windows 7, nooo :(

It may come at a later date, which incidentally, is when I'll consider buying the game.

Ash

Arcane
First impressions:

Good:

-Local coop multiplayer has refinements, like rescuing the damsel/pets giving both players a lick, not whomever carried it to the door, as well as adventure aspects like new character unlocks + shortcuts being accessible to 2P.
-Deathmatch has numerous improvements.
-More config options.
-More of what you expect from a sequel: enemies, stages, items etc

Bad:

-Noticing levels are a lot more cramped and maze-like, with lots of dead ends. Not a bad thing per-se just would have preferred a mix of cramped and open.
-Audio design is somewhat lacking compared to the original. Where's that awesome sound when tossing keys around, for instance. Too bad they didn't just reuse the sound from Spelunky HD.
-Dead bodies and pets/damsels now teamkill/self kill when thrown. HD they were the only safe object to toss around near teammates.
-Less aesthetically pleasing than Spelunky HD
-Less music variety. Every themed stage had at least four tracks in HD.

7h30n

Augur
Doesn't work on Windows 7, nooo :(

It may come at a later date, which incidentally, is when I'll consider buying the game.

Try this. It's a patch that makes Spelunky 2 work on Windows 7.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IbnD-koze8M90dleAUOCAJq_V2PlWn34/view?usp=sharing

It seems the latest patch includes the communty fix for Windows 7. The game now displays a warning that the Windows version is not supported, but it runs after clicking OK.

Ash

Arcane
-Noticing levels are a lot more cramped and maze-like, with lots of dead ends. Not a bad thing per-se just would have preferred a mix of cramped and open.

Note this is mainly in the mines. Can't really speak for the rest of the worlds.

It seems to me that spelunky 1 had more diversity in this regard. Some levels were simpler but more open, others could get pretty cramped and maze-like. And it resulted in nice variety. I like that the complexity of the levels has increased in spelunky 2, even with a second level accessible through doors, but it would still be nice to see levels with more space like spelunky 1 sometimes. It just resulted in a different style of play. Maybe I'm wrong about all of this, I've only played a couple hours so far.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Game is brutally hard. I made it to what I think is a boss,

Giant golden head Olmec. I got the 2nd stage of the fight where he suddenly deploys jet thrusters, but I panicked and got carpet bombed by him.

I'm not sure what going one way or the other is when you branch off from the mines. If you go left you can hit some jungle area, if you go right it's an industrial site. The jungle area to me is hilariously WAY more dangerous and I've yet to get through it. The industrial area is actually way easier than the mines themselves. I cruise right through whenever I get a chance to make it that far.

Ash

Arcane
Game is brutally hard. I made it to what I think is a boss,

Giant golden head Olmec. I got the 2nd stage of the fight where he suddenly deploys jet thrusters, but I panicked and got carpet bombed by him.

I'm not sure what going one way or the other is when you branch off from the mines. If you go left you can hit some jungle area, if you go right it's an industrial site. The jungle area to me is hilariously WAY more dangerous and I've yet to get through it. The industrial area is actually way easier than the mines themselves. I cruise right through whenever I get a chance to make it that far.

You don't really need to fight olmec, he's optional for advanced play (for the true ending most likely). Just bomb down in the bottom right corner. There's a door to the next area.

Jungle is somewhat easier with spike boots, since you can walk on the spiky terrain. As for difficulty, Jungle is probably slightly harder than Volcania but the lava is an instant death and the magma enemies it spews are invincible and a pain. It's especially brutal in co-op because many of the lava pits have unstable falling platforms above, which makes it difficult for multiple people to traverse.

At first I was a little disappointed with this game, I immediately noticed some things missing from Spelunky 1, but I've warmed to it after noticing with time the many things more it has over the original. Gud game. Some of my criticisms weren't too relevant either. Lack of music variety? On a per world basis, yes. But there's more worlds in total + challenge rooms with their own music and other stuff.

I still strongly believe the devs should make each world have 1 of 4 levels feature a more open level design archetype. Would result in more replayability and diversity between runs.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Here I thought spike boots just meant I could kill stuff by jumping on their heads :lol:

I'm not sure how much I wanna google on this game and how much I wanna just learn on the fly. One thing I did recently was smash a dog with one of those ghost vases by accident and it powdered the dog in ash; and then the dog had a strange look to it going into the lick screen, but it didn't seem to have any effect on the run. Stuff like that feels like something that'd effect these endings I keep hearing about. Doubt I ever actually beat the game though as I tend to suck as sidescrolling platformers.

Ash

Arcane
The game explains nothing and is brutally difficult. I recommend these two videos to make the game more manageable:

first video is of spelunky 1, but 80% of it applies to Spelunky 2:

Then this video to cover some new things specific to Spelunky 2 after the context of the first video:

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Getting my ass kicked and loving it. I finally made it to 6- the other day.

Edit: had prob my fav/best run today: made it to CoG but I was a little too cautious in W5 lol
54B641EF2EFF0FC4BFAE27A84A55C8BD51B328D7

37946BE70BD541E25F7799EC265FEDAC84729631

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I beat the game the other day, for the "normal" ending at least.

In other news, a long overdue patch focusing on the mess that is the dwelling is in the works.

CoronerZg

Augur
-Less music variety. Every themed stage had at least four tracks in HD.

First thing i noticed... very soon I had to disable in game music and play my own. Real shame cause S1 had some great music.

This is also true... S1 never had that many dead ends or the need for so many bombs, just to reach the end of level (with pet).

On topic of jungle levels - turkeys can also walk over small spikes :salute:

Ivan

Arcane
Found a neat little NPC interaction:
if you find the old man who gives you a ghost ruby (I believe in W1, he will help you with Vlad in W2)

Ivan

Arcane
Welp, that's the end of today's daily challenge: I wonder if this has to do with the locked Shopkeeper room in W1 hmmm!
1BD7851179D215D3FD63CB16903F6EE4A6688D49

Ivan

Arcane
Coming off back-to-back normie victories :)

Fun fact, the first time I killed the regular boss, and I didn't have the compass, I didn't know you simply had to...well...exit the room. So I presumed you had to go above and somehow traverse this obstacle course.
3F309A09AE60872934A63DB98D5812252011345B

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom