Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most satisfying games to Iron Man

Preferably games that don't have specific Iron Man mechanics or not intended to be played like that by the majority of players.

I was recently reminded of how good my Iron Man experience of Fallout New Vegas was. What made it special was:

- Freedom to chart your own course through the game. The playthrough is different depending on your choices.
- Combat that is not too spastic or random, leading to a frustrating early demise.
- Ability to plan your actions based on your own calculation of risk and reward (e.g. questing in a town vs. raiding a cave with valuable loot and dangerous monsters).
- Sense of adventure, which may include many things. I like scouting terrain, inventory management and roleplaying things like sleeping and resting at appropriate locations, sitting down to drink a beer, etc. I know a lot of people find this boring.
- Survival mechanics (related to above). Some games profit from it, others don't.
- Big enough that I don't know every detail about it and can still be surprised. I hate speed running and everything related to it.

I've also enjoyed playing Kenshi this way, although according to the main dev, it was always intended to be played like that.

Before someone asks me to give a precise definition of Iron Man, you can use the broadest definition possible. Some games I've enjoyed playing "semi Iron Man", like the Piranha Bytes games, where I forced myself to save only at resting locations (empty room with a bed) with no quicksaving. I wouldn't go full iron man, as the combat is too spastic and deadly unless you fully master it, at which point I'd rather play something else.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Any of the umpteen Stalker mods that come with ironman modes these days. You’ll absolutely love having your game wiped when the X-Ray engine inevitably crashes in the rookie village.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne (without chalices), and Sekiro. I don't consider Dark Souls 2 a good pick for an iron man run due to its excessive length and some bullshit here and there. Dark Souls 3 is better choice in that regard if you don't plan to play the DLCs, but Friede and the demons can be pretty hard after an already taxing playthrough.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Most strategy games don't make any sense and become boring fast if you don't play them "iron man". The strategic, or even tactical, elements of rpgs have to be played this way, although it doesn't often mix well with the scripted linear gameplay - if anything rpgs are linear by nature in so far as they offer limited opportunity for "emergent gameplay", even when they are not narrative-driven. If you want to play a rpg ironman, it mostly means memorizing encounters and such ; I've seen some guys play Badler Gate this way - an insane entreprise, but I guess you can have fun with it. The real game that should be played ironman is Thief, but nobody doesn't savescum through Thief - which is a shame ; but it does get quite the challenge not to at least save now then and then.

Games where attrition is expected and learning the metagame is part of the fun of wiping. So good Xcoms usually.

Or stuff with high random variance between runs like rogue games, Slay the Spire, etc

In the PnP Dark Sun material they suggested that you create multiple characters before a campaign to be prepared for attrition. I'm imagining a Dark Sun setting JA2-like game where you are running an insurgency against one of the sorcerer kings and weeping like interstellar_crying_meme.gif

Ondoval

Novice
Wizardry 8, the game is balanced from the start to the end for an ironman game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Games where attrition is expected and learning the metagame is part of the fun of wiping. So good Xcoms usually.

Or stuff with high random variance between runs like rogue games, Slay the Spire, etc
Agreed about different xcom(-like) and similar games. Obviously classic X-com but I also had a blast with Firaxis' XCOM with Long War mod played in Iron Man. Yes the Firaxis one, it's great - with Long War only. Also Battle Brothers is decent for that. Basically games that allows for setbacks without them ending the game outright. On the other hand two or three lost battles/missions in a row "kill" you. But those games are not CRPGs even if they have some crpg elements.

lightbane

Arcane
For a moment I thought this was a thread about games with customizable power armors, which are also rare, but that was not meant to be.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Unironically Pokemon. Nuzlocke rules (perhaps with some extra spice depending on your mood) are the best way to inject some semblance of difficulty into the games without exposing yourself to rebalance romhacks of dubious quality.

Also, I rarely play Civ and other 4X/grand strategy games, but when I do, I default to iron man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom