Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seven: The Days Long Gone - Thief-inspired isometric action-RPG from former CD Projekt devs

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This game makes me realize that stealth-focused gameplay isn't my cup of tea. Moreover, while I really enjoy the atmosphere, setting and writing, what made me dropped this game were the crafting system and the need for junk collection. Still looking forward to their next (hopefully more improved) game though.

The crafting and loot systems are bad, but there really isn't a "need" to collect junk. Quite the opposite really. All of the gear mods you can craft are weak as piss, and consumables are easy to just loot and/or buy from vendors.

So although the game is highly itemized, most of it is pointless and can be safely ignored. All you really need is a good melee weapon, a Technomagi rifle, and some heals and damage boosters to get you through the handful of mandatory boss fights in the late game.

Do you know if the junk items are labeled correctly? Can I safely sell all of them?

Zanzoken

Arcane
If you want to craft stuff then no, there are junk items that you'll need. Luckily there are junk vending machines if you're missing a specific component. There are several placed throughout the world but I recall specifically one being located in the first town, near the exit that leads down to the dig site.

Crafting is really a waste of time though. About halfway through the game I stopped picking up junk entirely, because it's a pain in the ass to sell it all and you won't even need the money.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This game is like 3.22Euro on some shady sites.

At this price is hard to complain about it but the first 2 hours were abysmal.

Zanzoken Thanks for the advice. I will try to ignore crafting because it's really retarded.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I give up. The game is dull as fuck.

The amount of loot is absolutely insane. It probably has more loot than some MMORPGs.

I never looted socks or tennis balls in other games. That's the extend of novelty provided by this game.

It's filled with bugs starting with movement glitches and ending with triggering dialogues in middle of fights.

The version is so enhanced that the descriptions are still filled with typos.

The story is some retarded mambo-jambo. The writing is simply mediocre despite all the praise.

The fighting system is actually alright but there is no stamina bar therefore you can spam the same attack and kill anyone with enough patience.

5.2% of all players crafted more than 5 potions in the game. That's how many people managed not to contemplate suicide while playing this. Although whoever finished this crap should contemplate his pointless existence.

I honestly gave the game a chance but I cannot continue. There is no challenge. The game is designed to waste the player's time. I would rather replay Styx than this.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, I gave it a chance too, and have reached similar conclusions.

The crafting system is absolutely abominable. The world is filled with a proliferation of containers, nearly all of which contain 5-10 pieces of junk—and when I say "junk," I mean that these items are labeled, categorized, illustrated, and described as junk. Nearly all junk is valued at 0.1 gamebux, and can be recycled into one of seven or eight categories of generic essential material (think metal, polymer, and organics), not unlike Prey's crafting system. Also, there are many dozens (perhaps even >100) of individual junk objects.

This is perfect, you're thinking! It's like real scavenging. When you want to craft something, just go out scavenging for what you need! Cool!

Nope. You see, each and every crafting recipe requires a specific object in addition to the generic essential material—and usually that specific object is a piece of junk. There are only two ways to distinguish which junk objects are actually vital crafting ingredients in disguise: 1.) you've obtained the crafting recipe (which you may not find until 2/3rds of the way through the game); 2.) you use the Internet to find a list compiled by someone who's already played the game.

By the time you finally realize that old, chewed tennis balls are a vital crafting ingredient, you may have already recycled most of them (neither containers nor vendors refresh their inventories). If not, you'll need to tediously backtrack and search hundreds of containers in order to find them. On top of this, some junk crafting ingredients are obnoxiously rare—which is actually one of the few reliable ways (other than pre-knowledge) to identify them without having the recipe.

The herbal crafting is a bit better, and works similarly to such systems in most RPGs.

The vendors, by the way, are ridiculous. You can clean out absolutely every item of use from every vendor (certainly the ones I encountered) by simply bartering the basic weapons and clothing you'll loot from enemies and the (very) occasional container that isn't just filled with junk. Guards and monsters are actually the game's only infinitely renewable resource, so every vendor's inventory is all but free for the player's taking. The developers have, at least, restricted faction-specific weapons and clothing from being sold to vendors; otherwise, you'd be able to kill one guard and empty the inventory of every vendor in the game's initial "hub area." Not kidding.

And yes, there are NPCs getting permanently stuck in terrain; the player getting semi-permanently stuck in terrain; awkward platforming; the inability to clearly perceive any level above the one the player is currently on (a hamper to the admittedly admirable verticality of the quite good level design); and, finally, enemies are hilariously easy to either kill or escape from in most cases, though not all. You can be overwhelmed if you try to take on a bunch of technomagi, or gunned down from behind as you try to make your escape, but generally only going full retard will result in a game over. Most game overs will come from awkward parkour/platforming and/or awkward camera angles (pretty much the same thing).

Finally, although the writing is technically clean and well worded, it's nonsensical and totally uncompelling. Just goes in one ear and out the other.

Damned shame, because if all of these things had been executed properly rather than fucked up, this game would have be an absolute legend. It would have been Thiefus Ex: Isometric Edition. I know that sounds silly—if only it hadn't sucked, it would have been great—but it is strangely true here. The game has what it takes on every level in terms of raw potential, but the parts are all stitched together awkwardly and the otherwise potentially brilliant brain has been starved of oxygen and indoctrinated into progressivism (not literally).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i came to this without reading anything before. I want to like this game but it is sooooo hard.

Crafting... ugh.. Doesnt appear to produce uber items. Game expects you to collect everything with very limited inventory space. Whats worse you never know which junk item can be disassembled and which you should be stockpiling.

Map is yuuuge. Which would be fine if everything wasnt on some kind of high/low platform. Simple traversal from point A to B can become backtracking chore. Paired with my confusion on fast travel its quite annoying. I dont know if im supposed to unlock them already or await for story to take me there like it did once.
Anyway I was taking my time learning land and paths. Then I arrived to capitol hub(i think?) and... fuck this shit. Im out. Give me gps already im not learning another hub layout. And from the look of it, there are more hubs to come.
Oh yeah, and here is another fedeex/treasure hunt quest to revisit half of the map you explored.

What bothered me quite a bit was that I kept unlocking skills and was never able to equip them. Waiting for story to unlock it for me somehow? Again not quite clear. Looks like i sunk 10h into this so quite upsetting I wasnt able to start tailoring my character skills even though i was going out of my way with exploration to unlock those terminals

Zanzoken

Arcane
If I recall correctly there are some abilities that you can't use until reaching a certain part of the story. This is always a poor design choice and I'm shocked that developers still do it.

However for fast travel nodes, I believe once you've done the story event to unlock your hideout then you are free to activate the rest of them. Some of them are quite difficult to get to though iirc.

Also, one of the most unfortunate parts about the game is that even though there are "build" choices, there's really only one effective play style, and that's pure stealth. The game gives the appearance that there are other options but I don't think any of them are viable.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Also, one of the most unfortunate parts about the game is that even though there are "build" choices, there's really only one effective play style, and that's pure stealth. The game gives the appearance that there are other options but I don't think any of them are viable.
which would be fine in my book since thats my playstyle anyway. Problem was that I could find no path to progress in it. For example 10h in and I still dont know how to handle harder locks? Sad part is that behind such lock was another skill that I know I wouldnt be able to equip anyway :happytrollboy:

also as far as sneaking goes - you are encouraged to wear disguise. Clothes are heavy. If you try to carry jail wardens armor around you will have no space in inventory. In the end I decided to up my challenge and just not to use this feature.

Shame about my rage quit, I quite enjoyed story so far. Also sneaking around was fun

Efe

Erudite
you really should follow story to unlock your toys.
if you do every side content up front you ahve like last %15 of game with all at your disposal

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
you really should follow story to unlock your toys.
if you do every side content up front you ahve like last %15 of game with all at your disposal
yeah but that would mean to follow multiple markers in jail capitol to find that one rabbit with a hat on(or whatever) and probably follow few more markers while I continue to hate myself.

Cant sat I was doing all the side quests. Wanted to do some more in gas city and I kind of got teleported out of there across whole map

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, not the best game for sure. But I've played it for a long time because I enjoy sneaking around and exploring in general and this game is well-suited for that. Have a huge world, too. Plot/quests were also fine. Shame that the combat is terrible, RPG-elements are too weak and overall junkiness is at barely tolerable levels.

Is anyone played DLC with submersion? I rememeber got burned out just before starting it, still slightly bugs me.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ive pushed a bit through and i believe to be finally out of capital

I do have many skills now. Turns up I was collecting so far tier 3 upgrades. With tier1 being chip itself I was missing tier2(update like htief passive, or invisibility power). While rushing through hated location I managed to grab a bunch of tier1/2.

As for fast travel, how does one find required terminals to hack? Id prefer a method over finding some marked locations online

Efe

Erudite
dont remember much but game tells you to follow tracks

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
figured it out, there is special marker that looks like computer

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
pushed through and finished it. It was made possible by investing some time and opening fast travel 100%.

Quite unhappy about the ending(s).
You get the power of ark at your disposal and best you can do is destroy another ark? Or self destruct? Thats meh. Nice story and conflict got built only to flip the table at the very end and suffer through meh slides.

Unlocked all the chips(i think?). All of them are meh, best power is quick dash/teleport that you got from beginning of the game anyway. In general bonuses are laughable and you got little control over them through most of the game. Notable exception is acrobat passive that allows to suffer longer falls, run faster and have mid air finishers.

Like piranha bytes added jetpack to fix their broken game, parachute should have been added in here to deal with annoying traversal.

Existence of junk isnt worst in crafting, its due to quests. Anything that asks you to collect crap is just annoying.

There were a bunch of interesting quests to be found in the wild. My favorite was fixing flickering lights for one merchant

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom