Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dust to the End - Post Apocalyptic trading and survival Strategy RPG - now available on Early Access

Andhaira

Arcane

Kind of like Darkest Dungeon + Battlebrothers + Fallout setting but with lots of trading. I like the art style but the trading part is a turn off, I want that shit to either be optional or only there if you want to play a trader type.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone? its out..sort of interested to hear somebodies take...it has kind of high ratings..but its a Chinese game I think so worried about translation and dialogue/quests etc..

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
anyone? its out..sort of interested to hear somebodies take...it has kind of high ratings..but its a Chinese game I think so worried about translation and dialogue/quests etc..

Review from user Big Tino on Sream (which may alleviate your concern about translation):

Edited on 8/11/2021 based on the Full Release version of the game

Now that the game has been fully released, I figured I'd dive back into the game to see how it's changed and update this review. Tl;dr: almost all of the issues I brought up in my beta review have been resolved. It's rare to see an indie title go from Early Access to Full Release in a timely manner, and it's even rarer for the resulting game to feel complete, stable, and rewarding. This game nails it.

This is a really good post-apocalyptic trading game with some fun combat and base-management systems. If you enjoy games where your primary source of income (and, usually, purpose) is figuring out the best trading routes in a hostile and dangerous environment, this is a good one for you.

PROS:
-Trading feels clean and rewarding, although I do have a few gripes here (laid out below)

-Combat is fun, straightforward but deadly. The skills you can use depend on the weapon you're equipped with (automatic weapons can do light damage to many enemies and delay their turns, for example, while sniper rifles can deal very heavy single shot damage). Different tactics reveal themselves as you encounter different enemies, like relying on Bleed effects against enemies with high armor and low health or stun-locking tanky enemies while your snipers deal with the damage-dealers in the back. The enemy AI is not dumb, either; they'll use abilities and focus fire your weakest members.

-I love anything with base-building, and this has a good system for it. The bunkers you develop remind me a little of the base-building you do in XCOM, although the bases are generally larger and connection bonuses and penalties are more apparent

-The overall progression of the game feels really good. Going from a ragtag group of people pushing around wheelbarrows to a motorcycle gang is cool, and there are different options you can go with the further in you get (generally, carrying capacity vs speed).

-The art is awesome. It feels like if you took the artists of Darkest Dungeon and told them to illustrate a game in the Mad Max universe.

-With the full release, there are a lot of cool new things you can do with the towns you trade between. You can invest in business to improve prices, upgrade industries to allow more advanced products to be sold, or even build new industries that produce new goods and influence regional trade.

-The merchant guilds take a little getting used to, but they're really cool once you do. Regions after the first are all occupied by rival merchant guilds, and you can use a number of different strategies to take them over. But you have to be careful; move too quickly or aggressively and you'll go to war with one, which can really hinder your trading progress until you finish taking them over.

CONS:
-The devs did a really good job of balancing trade stuff in the full release. It's still pretty easy to grind up your money if that's what you want to do, but you don't have to and trading feels much more rewarding now.A few little tweaks to trading would make it significantly more complex and, in my opinion, rewarding. Prices fluctuate, but only a little, and as far as I can tell, there's no market saturation penalty here. The only limitation on selling the same thing to the same settlement over and over is the settlement selling the stuff will eventually run out of goods and you'll need to wait for it to be restocked. I'd love to see some market reactions (like in other trading games like, say, the X series) to different events.

-The devs added a lot of quality of life features to the game, and so I don't have any complaints here in the full release.The game is missing a lot of quality of life features. For example, you can hold Shift over a good to see a summary of prices for that good in different settlements you've visited, but only if you've actively bought/sold the good there. I would love to see that update just for goods you see without buying - if I see coal is sold at a settlement for 100 coins, for example, I should be able to make a note of that without actually buying it.

-As far as I can tell, this has been fixed.Combat hit percentages are wildly off. After my first few hours with the game, missing with way more attacks that had a 90% chance to hit or more, I did a little experimenting. Of 100 ranged attacks I made that had a 90% chance to hit or (more often much) higher, 61 actually hit. I'm not sure if that's a bug or the hit chance just isn't displaying correctly, but it's clearly way off as it stands right now. Melee attacks, on the other hand, never seem to miss, despite having about the same percent chance to hit listed as ranged attacks.

-For all the really impressive improvements the devs made on this game since Early Access, the English translations are easily the best. The writing now is totally fine and easy to understand. Don't expect Black Isle poetry here, but as an English teacher myself, I can now happily say that the writing is mostly error-free and does exactly what it needs to do. The English translations are rough. I've taught English for over a decade, including years of English as a Second Language in other countries, and I know language is hard. It's honestly very impressive for a small studio to open its game to other language markets, and so I can't fault the devs at all for that. I'd certainly rather have a poorly-translated version of this game than none at all. But be warned that many descriptions, conversations, and story events are very difficult to understand because of the poor translations. It's the kind of game, like Troubleshooter, for example, where I just want to reach in and rewrite everything for the devs.

-Probably my biggest gripe with the game is enemy variety. You do encounter more types of enemies the further you get into the game, but for the most part, you're fighting progressively harder bandits, hyenas, bug monsters, and zombies.

-One of the things you can do in the game is explore bunkers, which are occupied by bandits and other nasties, in order to get building resources for your own bunkers. Generally speaking, I like the light dungeon-crawling, but there are a few frustrating things there. You can't explore the whole bunker when you enter; you basically have to choose a route through the bunker, exploring rooms as you go, and you can't go back. The completionist in me really wants to clear dungeons entirely, particularly when you take over a bunker for yourself and anything you didn't loot on your first romp through is lost. I can see why the devs chose to do it this way, as it does create an element of choice as to what you're going for in dungeons, but it's not the choice I would have made. I maybe would have liked to see harder dungeons that really push your party more, which would create a more organic choice-driven dungeon exploration system that would force you to choose whether or not you want to go for that next treasure despite how tired and wounded your people are.

-A small gripe here, but enemies you fight in dungeons provide zero experience and money. Not sure what the rationale was for that one, but it takes away from the dungeon-crawling experience, just a bit, to have the combat be purely punitive.

Overall, I think this game does everything it set out to do, which is very impressive. If you like trade systems with light RPG elements including upgrading gear, improving character skills and attributes, and going on randomized dungeon crawls, you'll probably like this one.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
This game got a 9 on moviesgamesandtech website
https://moviesgamesandtech.com/2021/08/15/review-dust-to-the-end/

‘War. War never changes.’ Except sometimes. Sometimes war changes quite significantly. If we take ‘war’ to mean Fallout, the video game franchise that harps on about war never changing, as if it makes the gameplay about slaying mutants in a post-apocalyptic wasteland somehow poetic, then war changes a great deal. Over the years Fallout has gone from an isometric turn-based RPG to a 3D first-person shooter RPG to a 3D multiplayer pile of garbage. But why am I wittering on about Fallout in this review of Dust to the End? Well, partially because Fallout is potentially my favourite video game franchise of all time and I’ll take any opportunity to talk about it, but mostly because Dust to the End gives me significant Fallout 1 and 2 vibes in its theming, art and some of its gameplay. If you love the original flavour of Fallout before ‘War. War changed’ and are upset there hasn’t been a release in that vein over the last two decades then I might have a little gem of a game for you.

20210809165915_1.jpg

Humanity is over. Standard story: boy meets boy, boy dislikes boy, boy wipes boy off the surface of the Earth with enough nukes to destroy life as we know it. It’s the sort of war that nobody wins and everybody loses. The only survivors are those who managed to get to underground vaults before the apocalypse really got going (I’ll be honest, some of the Fallout parallels aren’t subtle). Now, hundreds of years later, you play as a descendant of these survivors, still living in the vault away from the dangers of the irradiated world above. Unfortunately, your cosy existence in this protected corner of the post-apocalyptic wasteland isn’t destined to last and it isn’t long before bandits dressed in rad-as-hell plague doctor masks attack the vault and kill or capture all of your vault-dwelling companions. More through luck than judgement you manage to escape, fleeing into the wasteland with only your wits for company. It turns out that your wits are terrible company and before long you fall unconscious, surely fated to die under the scorching desert sun.

As ‘Dying Under the Scorching Desert Sun Simulator 2021’ would be a short and terrible game, the developers made the wise choice here to intervene and you are rescued by a kindly old man who nurses you back to health. However, this is a ‘you saved my life, I am eternally grateful’ situation and the old man turns out not to be that kindly after all, expecting you to work off your life debt to him by working for his caravan company. This job requires you to travel between settlements, buying supplies in one town for a low price and selling them on in another town for a higher price, repeating the process until you become some kind of post-apocalyptic Jeff Bezos, aka Jeff Bezos after a few more years of Jeff Bezos being Jeff Bezos. Your first goal is to make 5,000 money so you can pay the town’s ‘taxes’ which pay for a big can of giant-bug-repelling bug spray. A settlement will almost certainly perish without the bug spray, so the ‘tax’ is more of a protection racket run by the corporations monopolising the supply. Oh look, it’s Jeffery Bezos again.

g.jpg

Travelling between settlements is the main thrust of the game and is where I really pick up on the Fallout vibes the game is putting down. Much like in Fallout 1 and 2, when you travel between settlements you watch a little version of your character walking across an overview map, with the settlements highlighted, bandits and creatures roaming looking for an easy fight and random events such as supply caches marked. Your character will set off on a beeline towards the settlement you’ve set as your destination but you still have complete control of their movement, meaning you can avoid combat encounters, divert towards dropped supplied or change your destination entirely. As a pro-tip here, you should definitely do those things and not get distracted by eating a casserole, leaving your character to wander. Much like in the real world, you will get eaten by mutated bugs if you get distracted by casserole.

Speaking of food, I believe I’ve mentioned in another review on this site that I normally despise hunger and thirst meters in games. It’s enough of an ordeal monitoring your need for food and water in the real world, without having to take care of a video game character’s needs as well. Therefore, it may surprise you to hear that I love Dust to the End’s survival system, mostly because you don’t need to monitor your needs at all. The game tells you how much food and water you’ll need for a journey before you set off and you just need to make sure you have at least that much in your inventory. Beyond that, it pretty much takes care of itself. I appreciate this hands-off approach to hunger and thirst and it’s one of the few games where I think it makes gameplay sense to have survival needs, as it means you need to balance your inventory between having enough food and water to survive a journey but also carrying as many supplies as possible to sell for a profit at the next town. It’s not just the amount of food and water you carry that’s important – the quality of those items influences your ‘morale’, which impacts your combat effectiveness. So you might want to spend the extra cash and inventory space on better food so you’re not caught with your gun-belt around your ankles when you’re attacked by bandits.

20210809173346_1.jpg

The final element of gameplay is combat – you can avoid fighting enemies to your heart’s content but that won’t help you when a quest needs you to collect bug blood to free some people who may or may not be your kidnapped fellow vault-dwellers (it doesn’t sound like it but it does make sense in context, trust me). The combat is turn-based with some of your stats determining the rate at which you get another turn. This is illustrated by a turn order at the top of your screen. You can always do your basic attack which will do a modest amount of damage to a single enemy. But, what you’ll really want to do is one of your special attacks. Special attacks generally do more damage or have a chance to apply a status effect to the enemy it hits, like ‘stunned’ which forces them to skip their next turn. However, special attacks require AP and your AP is determined by your morale, so if you’ve been eating gristle and bugs for the last week you’ll be stuck doing your basic attack all of the time. The combat isn’t anything particularly special but it’s solidly put together and there’s nothing to complain about – especially when you’ll be avoiding combat as much as you can in an effort to try and stay alive.

If you want a hit of an early Fallout game in a brilliant and non-copyright infringing package since Bethesda have jumped into a lake with the concrete breeze-block of Fallout 76 tied to their ankles, then look no further than Dust to the End. Brimming with a compelling story and memorable characters, Dust to the End is not one to let pass you by. It’s got a clear mechanism for earning money, with one of the best yet most understandable economies in games – certainly more understandable than the real world economy where people starve while billionaires go to space. This mechanic is packaged next to your standard turn-based RPG combat and has a decent system for travelling and avoiding combat thrown in for good measure. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I still have a few kilos of bug blood to harvest because after all – War, war never changes.
SUMMARY
+ Tastes like Fallout
+ Great writing for quests and characters
+ Travelling between settlements is a great balance of risk and reward
- Unoriginal combat mechanics

Darth Canoli

Arcane
SUMMARY
+ Tastes like Fallout
+ Great writing for quests and characters
+ Travelling between settlements is a great balance of risk and reward
- Unoriginal combat mechanics

Feels like a trustworthy review because the combat is absolutely unoriginal.

It reminds me of a "recent" game which looked exactly the same but was just terrible, terrible UI, too many weird ressources to gather, it almost had some kind of RTS resources gathering gameplay, except Turn-Based with only one unit, really weird, also sluggish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom