Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tunic

Has anyone played this yet? It's an isometric game with Zelda and Souls elements.

I've played about an hour or so and it's more of a puzzle game than anything. The music is a bit too lethargic for my tastes and I'm not a fan of the art style, but the game itself seems pretty decent (seemed more interesting to me than the derivative Death's Door). I'll keep playing.

It's on Game Pass btw.

Silentstorm

Learned
Playing it, it's cute, it's Zelda+Dark Souls with all that entails, meaning the equivalent of Bonfires are where you save, if you die, you lose resources that you can get back at the exact place you died, there is a stamina bar, and even some stuff not being explained and left for the player to figure out or never figure out.

Here is a tip the game doesn't tell you, Fast Travel is unlocked from the start, there are areas with big golden squares, just hold the action button for a while and you get to teleport, trust me, it will save time, also, you can upgrade your stats at the equivalent of Bonfires, Tunic being Tunic, doesn't tell you this at all, it does require specific items though.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Me hovering over to read the preview text of this topic: "Huh..."

Me after seeing the thumbnail of the foxboy dressed as Link: "Oh..."

Silentstorm

Learned
Yep, there are puzzles to solve from what i understand, so far, they have been simple, and you can play as Zelda + Dark Souls towards the end, but midway through or near the end, there are some big puzzles...which you can completely ignore, do not do them and keep playing as an action game will net you the bad ending, solving the puzzles will net you the golden ending and they are puzzles that aren't just sliding blocks or doing some stuff in one area.

Depends on how much you want the good ending, i will say this, the game doesn't actually force you to solve the big puzzles.

Ivan

Arcane
:3/5:
Tunic is a solid adventure game in the vein of old 2D Zeldas. I found its level of trust in the player admirable. The game opens linearly enough, but it never dumps exposition or grant you objective markers. One of the coolest elements of the game is the in-game manual which is beautifully detailed with maps, lore, and clues to secrets that pepper the overworld.

streangths:
the visuals and art style are gorgeous and easy on the eyes. I found the soundtrack to be mostly alright, I particularly enjoyed the overworld theme

progression and exploration are well done. slowly growing in strength and improving your attributes felt great, especially b/c the game does a great job of placing gatekeeper enemies early on in the overworld (Gothic style I suppose)

weaknesses:
the combat in and of itself is serviceable but I was left wanting for stronger visual and audible feedback when connecting/blocking attacks

because item switching is handled in realtime, you can find yourself in tough situations where enemies may be swarming on you while you fiddle with the menu to equip the right tool

the hookshot didn't feel as magnetic as I would have liked, in exploration or in combat

I wasn't a fan of how much of the game's shortcuts are a byproduct of routes obfuscated by the world art. It reminded me of Fez in this regard, you'll often stumble upon secret routes that rotate the world map and lead you either to boring treasure chests that net a few coins, or they just funnel you back to a hub area. Seldom did a secret path actually lead me to a new zone, or a secret boss, or anything like that

Final thoughts: I come away from Tunic appreciative of its trust in the player, impressed by its gorgeously detailed in-game manual, and its calming visuals. I do wish the game had beefier visual effects and audible feedback for the combat, but it was serviceable. I readily admit that the endgame puzzle was too much for me. I picked up the trail, but once I peeked at the solution I knew this was not for me. I even peeked at the secret ending requirements and it turns out I hadn't even found 1 of the 20 secret items needed for it. I'd even say I took my sweet time combing through, but it sounds like the game is asking the player to re-explore the world after attaining a super late-game ability. That's cool, though I have no desire to do so at all. I had zero investment in the world, in the d-pad input based puzzles, and also the game oddly de-populated much of the combat encounters once in the endgame (stranged design decision, perhaps to encourage the player to just seek out the puzzles?).

bugs:
-Librarian Boss: hookshot once time dragged ME to him, dumping me out of the arena lol

-when killing enemies, their geometry can block the hookshot (intentional?)

my favorite track, unfortunately nothing else came close to being nearly as enjoyable for me throughout the adventure:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom