Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games set underwater?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Thought I was late to the party but apparently no one mentioned Silent Hunter, the realistic counterpart to Barotrauma, yet.

Is the best one IMHO.

I used to really enjoy the underwater stages in Dungeon Hack, even if they only had two enemy types.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Anyone remember Hydrophobia: Prophecy? Game really sucked ass, but probably has the best water physics even to this day. It's too bad HydroEngine was never used for anything else.

Starwars

Arcane
Prisoner of Ice mostly takes place underwater right? Man it must've been 15 years or so since I've thought about that game, but it popped into my head. I remember it as a good Lovecraftian horror set in a submarine, and maybe in an underwater research station.

It starts in a submarine but I don't think there are any underwater sequences after that? Granted, I don't remember a whole lot of the latter part of the game.

Have vivid memories of the submarine section though. Very cheesy but kid-me found it all very spooky.

ferratilis

Magister
E.V.O.: Search for Eden was a very unique game at its time, with concepts that are interesting even today. The first chapter takes place underwater, until you evolve enough to have feet. Highly recommended.

EVO_Chapter_1.png

EVO_Ocean_of_Terodus.png

EVO_Kuraselache_Bite.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone remember Hydrophobia: Prophecy? Game really sucked ass, but probably has the best water physics even to this day. It's too bad HydroEngine was never used for anything else.

I actually thought it was okay. The water effects enhanced the game with 347%. It was so short, though. Only 3-4 hours if I remember correctly.

The developer that made Shadow Complex, Chair, their first game Undertow is set underwater.

There's a few 3D shark games. I think the first Jaws one is made by the team that did the Dreamcast Ecco game.

The old Jaws game on NES is mostly set underwater and it's pretty fun. Much more fun to play than it looks like it'd be. How fast ups shoot your harpoon gun is tied directly into how fast you press the button, so you can end up shooting pretty fast in that game.

Subnautica is the game you want to get that isn't just taking place underwater, but actually also conveys it.
Too bad the devs wanted to make minecraft minus combat instead of a real game out of it.

That game is so close to being open world Metroid Prime, a Metroid where you build your items (and a base) yourself with resource you find in the environment as opposed to just finding the items in the environment, that the lack of meaningful combat (especially since there is some combat) just feels odds.

It's so close to being open world FPS Metroid, if when Metroid Prime 4 finally shows off gameplay, I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out to basically just be Subnautica with Metroid Prime combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom