Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANNO: Mutationem - sidescrolling action adventure with RPG mechanics

Modron

Arcane
They're going to add some further content to this, looks like some kind of minigame as well in the screenshots here: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1368030/announcements/detail/3646258449547611021
Big news before the new year comes!!!
Big news before the new year comes!!!
A new mini story line of ANNOmutationem is now in development!!!
A new combat costume with exclusive weapons can be unlocked in the mission, more details will be released soon, please stay tuned!!!
eccc25bfd7122918a89dc712d4729dd4cb489923.png

46e50e7fa1df5576714cc64856ba5d64cb250644.png

e2d3464f42ae4a9e2fac47a92287d51abb63a402.png

Modron

Arcane
The above content should be in the game now (don't know why they call it dlc, it's an old fashioned content update): https://steamcommunity.com/games/1368030/announcements/detail/6869720192197964530
Mini-game play has been updated! New battle suits and weapons added!

Dear Mutationems!
Anno: Mutationem DLC is available now!
Update to check out new content in game!
A story of Ayane's childhood.
A super lite rogue-like mini game "Mysterious Game Console".
New costume [Archaic Hazmat Suit] with new weapons.
Hope you guys love it!

Modron

Arcane
The combat is decent, could be better. Where the game shines is the art direction and it's fun to explore around the towns, it has a good ratio of combat sequences to non combat exploration. It's a 10-15 hour casual affair, more with this recent update I suppose. I enjoyed my time with it, was it the best game ever? No. I guess if I had to TL/DR sum it up I would say: ANNO Mutationem is good enough for what it is.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This gets the Roguey seal of tentative approval. Much better gameplay than Dex and oozing with style. The writing's lacking, but there are interesting elements to it. I was amused by how, true to Chinese standards, this is both a knock-off of a pre-existing concept (SCP Foundation) and a post-cyberpunk game where the authorities are ultimately good guys and the bad people within them are just a few bad apples who ultimately get punished. I was surprised by how your voice-companion is a sexually harassing lesbo though. I guess China doesn't take lesbianism seriously, like maybe it's a phase young women go through and grow out of?

It's also interesting to see how the ending was modified post-release. The original was rather bittersweet
your character puts on a collar that severs her connection to the bad magical realm and has to stay in the not-SCP Foundation for the rest of her life along with her lesbo friend, and your brother gets knocked out, his memory of you erased, and sent out on his way

while the one they patched in a few months later ultimately removes the bitterness
your brother is allowed to leave normally, and after an unknown amount of time has passed, the Consortium figures out a way to permanently sever your connection to the Hinterland leading to an additional boss fight followed by your going home to reunite with your family. They also let you choose a bad ending where you refuse to put the collar on and end up destroying the world, so Trust the Authorities.

I like the expanded ending better, good call.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom