Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
Heroic Liberator
Heroic Liberator
It's the rightwinger equivalent to an anarchist's fetishization of primitive communism, only that it is projected upon an agrarian society.
Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
Maxie okay, totally not aliens!!!
Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
Magnat it is the motive of inevitable sacrifice needed for the functioning of the "ideal society" that interests me. What are the roots and reasons. I would read some scientific shit about it.
Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
Magnat also do you think Kropotkin was wrong?
Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
yes I understand that "Agathoth" is a pun to "Azathoth" (and/or Thoth) but he looks like fucking Predator. Also there is a spaceship in the game (which I never managed to find, need another replay).
Heroic Liberator
Heroic Liberator
Eh, the Slavophiles and Narodniks also exalted the virtues of the same ideal society without it having such a Jungian (collective) shadow as it were. I think that you were spot on when you tied it into the ambivalent nature of the modernist towards the past.
Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
yes, the shadow, the scapegoat, something like this...
Heroic Liberator
Heroic Liberator
Taking it one step further, it could also reflect the unconscious desire of the (conservative) revolutionary of being devoured by the revolution which he seeks to unleash. "True beauty is something that attacks, overpowers, robs, and finally destroys."
Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
To think of it, there is no other dynamic in the "ideal" society besides natural birth/mating/death. That means war or sacrifice. No true art is depicting the static system, it is always the conflict, even in Scriptures. Probably the man needs something "unnatural" to feel alive. Something...revolutionary))
Heroic Liberator
Heroic Liberator
It's also a means of reinforcing group unity. You cast the impurities of the community onto a symbolic scapegoat which you then sacrifice. That's one of the functions of both animal and human sacrifice in traditional societies, so I'd recommend checking out anthropological writings on the subject if it interests you.
Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
Magnat, I was actually kinda shocked how the voluntary (!) and very graphic human sacrifice was presented in some episode of the Vikings, like, no big deal about it.
Heroic Liberator
Heroic Liberator
Vikings is far from being an accurate portrayal of historical Scandinavian society and its religious practices. Such a thing would of course be a 'big deal', but it wouldn't be shocking or morally reprehensible for (most of) the community. In that regard, if we are talking about that episode when the priest gets high at Upsala, the portrayal was somewhat alright.
Heroic Liberator
Heroic Liberator
Same thing happened in the case of the Aztecs, the sacrificial victim being treated as a king in the time between being selected to play this role and the festivity itself.
Heroic Liberator
Heroic Liberator
"During the 20-day month of Toxcatl, a young impersonator of Tezcatlipoca would be sacrificed. Throughout a year, this youth would be dressed as Tezcatlipoca and treated as a living incarnation of the god. The youth would represent Tezcatlipoca on earth; he would get four beautiful women as his companions until he was killed. (1/2)
Heroic Liberator
Heroic Liberator
In the meantime he walked through the streets of Tenochtitlan playing a flute. On the day of the sacrifice, a feast would be held in Tezcatlipoca's honor. The young man would climb the pyramid, break his flute and surrender his body to the priests. Sahagún compared it to the Christian Easter." (2/2)
Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
I think the book I've missed some years ago on subject is "Violence and the Sacred" by René Girard.
Kalin
Kalin
dick tommy
Verylittlefishes
Verylittlefishes
Magnat what is the source for Aztec quote?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom