Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

Casual Hero
Casual Hero
Wizardry 8
Wizardry 4
Heck, every Wizardry
SMT
Phantasie
Dark Heart
Casual Hero
Casual Hero
It's so easy to debunk, come on.
Casual Hero
Casual Hero
But your problems seem to be a matter of personal taste. I don't care if you don't like blobbers, but I take issue when users here try to say that blobbers are objectively bad or that they did nothing to advance the genre. Now, it is true that since the genre died off, we don't have many new games that innovate much; we basically have to choose from what already came before, and they are pretty old at this point.
Casual Hero
Casual Hero
True words. Perhaps I am overgeneralizing.

Well, I definitely am.
Thac0
Thac0
I think Blobbers are at a divide currently wether they want to have combat that is on multiple tiles (like Grimrock, MMX, Vaporum) or combat that is on a single tile (Elminage, earlier Wiz, Amberland, Operencia). Blobbers that have no tiles (MM6+, Wiz8) are largely dead.

I heavily prefer single tile combat, combat does not need positioning or terrain to be tactical.
Generic-Giant-Spider
The blob grows. Soon, it will absorb all.
Thac0
Thac0
Every one of those strands has innovation and regression happening all the time. Multi tile combat is between the divide wether it wants to be turn based or real time and real time is winning sadly.

Single tile just has to take notes from the JRPG market. Its no surprise one of the best modern blobbers in Strange Journey is just the excellent SMT battle system grafted onto a blobber.
Thac0
Thac0
Also people who argue against a genre at large are just attention baiting trolls or retards. You can dislike a genre, but calling any genre universally bad is just a weak position to hold since the most fruitfull comparison is inside of that genre. Apples to apples.
I struggle to think of an entire genre that is still alive that has never had a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom