Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

Taluntain
Taluntain
Long story short, Codex needed decent hosting for a change and I could provide it as I managed the server for my own site myself. We've both gone through a number of more or less bad hosts before. I also took on the other sites that the early Codex creators worked on and still host them. This was all ages ago and most of the people involved with the sites in question back then moved on a long time ago.
Thac0
Thac0
Thanks. Can you link the other old sites? I love diving through old forums. Forum cultures is fascinating and its a massive shame that social media is threatening it.
Taluntain
Taluntain
Np, you can see the whole list of the sites I host at https://sorcerers.net/Hosting/hosted.php . There are also a couple of smaller gaming fansites that I rescued from oblivion and now host in their respective game sections on SP, e.g. Platter's Torment site, a few BG2 sites, DaveO's M&M fansite etc.
fantadomat
fantadomat
Is it expensive to run a server machine? Does it use a lot of electricity? And does it break often?
Taluntain
Taluntain
It depends on what you need and how it's set up. For us it's a few hundred bucks per month leased, but that includes all the expenses and replacements. That said, hardware failure these days is much less common that it was 10 or 15 years ago, luckily.
fantadomat
fantadomat
That seems a bit high,must be the kwanza electricity price. Do ssd perform better than hdd in the reliability aspect?
Taluntain
Taluntain
My experience with SSDs so far has been very positive, but we've been replacing them regularly. From a purely technical POV, they are not as reliable as classic HDDs. But I've had several drives go faulty or die well before their due date, so it comes down to luck as much as anything else too.
fantadomat
fantadomat
SSDs are about speed and lower electricity consumption,while HDDs are about reliability. I still have working HDDs from 20 years ago. While i have noticed that SSDs go the the garbage more frequently. HDDs are a lot better for archives and data storage.
I am curious,how big is the server? How many SSDs and terabytes?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom