Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

NJClaw
NJClaw
My point was more on sci-fi in general than the post-apocalyptic subgenre. One example where everyone agrees: Star Wars. There's the advanced technology, there's something different from our world, and there's the (coherent) idea. It looks sci-fi, but it is undeniably fantasy.
Ol' Willy
Ol' Willy
I never ever argued with that. SW is a space fantasy through and throughout.
Ol' Willy
Ol' Willy
SW has too many concepts which description is quite vague: "this level of technology is out of our understanding", "legacy of the ancient ones" and other stuff. And Jedi employ the vaguely veiled magic
NJClaw
NJClaw
I think I need to step up my denominations game. "Space fantasy", "science fantasy", "science fiction" all sound the same to me.
Ol' Willy
Ol' Willy
Space fantasy - like a typical fantasy, but in space.
Science fantasy - weird hybrid, which employs the standard fantasy tropes, but tries to explain them in believable way.
Science fiction - similar to our, real world, but with the stuff that not yet exist or may theoretically exist and explained using our current knowledge.
NJClaw
NJClaw
Is Dune sci-fi? To me, it always sounded more fantasy than LotR, with the exception of the army of the dead and some talking trees.

So, is Dune also science fantasy?
Ol' Willy
Ol' Willy
Space fantasy - superhumans fighting each other with the weird superpowers in the space
Science fantasy - "I take some metal object, suspend it by the telekinetic powers, concentrate my will, force my magic powers to heat this object to the melting temperature and hurl this fireball at the enemy"
Science Fiction - 2050, but teleport was invented. How it can change our world?
Ol' Willy
Ol' Willy
Dune is sci-fi, albeit "soft", although is goes through the routine of explaining the underlying concepts.
Thac0
Thac0
Dune is the reason the divide between Sci Fi and Fantasy is absolutely arbitrary. Anything less than Hard Sci Fi is Fantasy.
I guess I can keep a small space for stuff like Dick's work - which isn't exactly hard sci fi but also not Fantasy - but apart from that the genre difference is a joke.
Ol' Willy
Ol' Willy
///I guess I can keep a small space for stuff like Dick's work - which isn't exactly hard sci fi but also not Fantasy///
The quote about what defines a sci-fi from my previous post, which you rated Retarded, was exactly from PKD. Go figure.
Thac0
Thac0
The reason for the retarded rating is that you either completely misread my post or chose to just answer in a completely idiotic way.
There is almost no post apocalyptic fiction that fits Dick's definiton of Sci FI, and there is no post apocalyptic vidya that fits it. It's a very soft Sci Fi genre (and thus Fantasy) now, probably ever since Mad Max became popular and maybe even before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom