Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

vortex
vortex
PorkyThePaladin, please write the sequel to LOTR.
Thac0
Thac0
Also research the literary and cultural context of Sandersons work for comparisons sake (Marvel and Anime).
A horse of course
And then research being a cuckold draft-dodging redhead-fetishist pleb for ASOIAF.
PorkyThePaladin
PorkyThePaladin
The literary and cultural context of LotR is and has always been overrated. As Tolkien himself admitted, LotR was never meant to have any allegorical meaning or be a metaphor for anything from RL. Sure, some of his RL experiences (e.g. WW1) seeped through, but overall, it is simply a fairy tale wrapped in some amazing world-building by Tolkien the linguist/scholar and borrowing freely from European mythology. Cont...
PorkyThePaladin
PorkyThePaladin
I love Middle Earth's lore as much as anyone, and appreciate Tolkien's beautiful prose, but despite all of that, LotR is a something that started out as a fairly tale (see how The Hobbit starts out sounding much more like a chilren's book), and carries everything associated with that, ie a simple plot, flat characters, etc.
Thac0
Thac0
The prose Edda as overrated...
Tolkiens goal for middle earth was to make an epic creation saga for England, since he disliked King Arthur for whatever reason. With how monumental his success was it is safe to say he succeeded.
Thac0
Thac0
Also if GRRM truly is a redhead fetishist I have to rethink my opinion on him. Redhead fetishism is the clearest indicator of brilliance in any Fantasy author. I got my redhead fetish from reading Fantasy.
PorkyThePaladin
PorkyThePaladin
Shouldn't you love Sanderson then? Shallan Davar is pretty red-headed. Also, "The prose Edda as overrated" < wut?
A horse of course
That "fairy tale" has pejorative implications to you is very telling. Even putting aside characters that were later fleshed out in the Legendarium (e.g. Galadriel's role in the Kinslaying) the "flat" characters are meant to be perceived in the context of both Christian morality and Pagan heroic sagas.
A horse of course
Unsuprisingly, brat pack rebels like Moorcock reduced it to ancestor worship, because their perception of Tolkien never went beyond petty teenage contrarianism. To the contrary, it's hack frauds like that disgraced beardfat Martin who are more guilty of thoughtlessly stealing from existing works, like a fat man greedily stuffing finger sandwiches into his pockets at a conference buffet.
PorkyThePaladin
PorkyThePaladin
Mmm, finger sandwiches...
PorkyThePaladin
PorkyThePaladin
vortex PorkyThePaladin, please write the sequel to LOTR. < Hhmm, I would do it with modern sensibilities. In the 4th (5th?) Age of Middle Earth, the Kingdom of Aragorn and Arwen is drawing to a close. Aragorn adopts a young Korean elf and woos her as Arwen becomes a bitter militant lesbian.
PorkyThePaladin
PorkyThePaladin
Frodo and Samwise come out of the closet, and relive their torpid affair on Mount Doom, while Gollum changes his gender to "to be determined". Sauron is outsourced to China, where his work is carried out by a group of Foxcon workers for one firth the cost, and Saruman is automated via neural network AI named Alexa.
PorkyThePaladin
PorkyThePaladin
Gandalf the Orange tries to make The Shire great again, by seducing slow-witted hobbits with his snake-oil pitches, but is eventually defeated in hobbit elections by a cabbage. Tom Bombadil releases a new music album, "Oops I did it again", and the elves go postal.
Thac0
Thac0
1 Waifu is not enough to sell a book. Also romance triangle are the most mundane shit in prose, I do not want to read Twilight in my High Fantasy
Thac0
Thac0
Also the Edda is a pretty cool piece of writing that was Tolkiens actual inspiration. Take a look at it. It is like the most important thing for Nordic/Germanic mythology we know off.
PorkyThePaladin
PorkyThePaladin
Oh, I thought Edda was your pet bedroom name for Ed123.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom