Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

Tacgnol
Tacgnol
Most of the lore in FROM games is just whatever random youtubers make up. I'm always highly suspicious of whether the actual writers intended much of the stuff that appears as verbatim in those lore videos.
NJClaw
NJClaw
I think it was fine, but I didn't find it as interesting as Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, or Bloodborne. In terms of "lore", I would put it roughly on the same level as Dark Souls 3, both have their highs and lows.
Humbaba
Humbaba
I just find it a bit self-defeating relying on environmental storytelling but then also always giving up by giving very explicit bits of lore via item descriptions. At the very least have the PC read that shit in a book or something.
NJClaw
NJClaw
I think small lore bits in item descriptions are a great idea. I will never read boring, unreadable walls of text that 9 times out of 10 say nothing of value, but finding a short and mysterious fact every now and then is always exciting
Humbaba
Humbaba
Sure, but that information is not being conveyed in-world is what I'm getting at. As much as I dislike random documents and audio logs (c) at least those are read by the PC, not only the player.
Vlajdermen
Vlajdermen
I find the scan mechanic from the Metroid Prime games to be the best middle ground between the two. In fact, it is a way better storytelling method than that of either System Shock or Dark Souls. More creative than the former, more confident than the latter, and more efficient than both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom