Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
How advanced are we talking, here?
ItsChon
ItsChon
I solved one of the problems. I missed an obvious right angle marker which made it trivial. Still, not sure how to do this one.
https://i.imgur.com/711eCO6.jpg
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
Angle G is a right angle, so it follows that the narrow angle at G is equal to angle F
Sin(X) = opposite/hypotenuse, and Cos(X) is adjacent/hypotenuse
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
so Sin(F) = EG/27 and Cos(F) = 4/EG
Sin²(X) + Cos²(X) = 1
(EG/27)² + (2/EG)² - 1 = 0
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
EG²/729 - 1 + 4/EG² = 0
EG⁴/729 - EG² + 4 = 0
(1/729)x² - x + 4 = 0 sub into quadratic formula to get EG²
EG² = 729/2 ± 27 √(713)/2
EG = √[729/2 ± 27 √(713)/2]
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
FYI: the answer is the smaller root, 4.02. It seems to fit the other numbers. Don't worry about the weird one.
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
Now that I think about it, I think I did that wrong.
Opposite/adjacent = tan (X)
so h/25 = 2/h
h²= 50
2² + h² = EG²
4 + 50 = EG²
√(54) = EG
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
There is a faint right angle marker at H, right?
Syl
Syl
Only way I can solve this is if the angles are the same, i.e. if triangle EGH is a scaled version of triangle GFH
It gives: GH / a = b / GH
Along with Pythagoras: a^2 + GH^2 = EG^2
I find EG = square root of 54

Edit: oh, I didn't see someone else answered already.
Syl
Syl
oh, angle EGF is a right angle, I didn't see that.
I thought the figure was missing a piece of information, but that's it. :)
ItsChon
ItsChon
Ah so I flat out don't remember EVER learning about what you just mentioned in regards to Angle G being equal to Angle F. Why is that the case? Is it due to this Geometric Mean Theorem?
ItsChon
ItsChon
Yeah it appears to be so. Thanks so much. I never took Trigonometry, just Geometry, and for some reason I have no recollection of ever learning this. Wish there was a way to repay y'all with more than just Brofists, but it'll have to do I suppose.
ItsChon
ItsChon
One last thing if either of you wouldn't mind. For something like this, https://i.imgur.com/nc7Y2yp.png what's the plan of action? Do you use this formula, C^2=A^2+ ((2*Area)/A))^2 to find all three sides of the top triangle, to find Angle L, which you can use to get NR and LR for the area? Is there a way other than this to do it?
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
I learned the GMT from a Numberphile video, not a classroom.
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
This is a simple uniform scaling in Euclidean space. Where s is defined as an arbitrary, closed loop in the plane, the area enclosed by s is always proportional to the length squared (the "length" here can be any arbitrary one so long as it's still the same length before and after the transformation, i.e. compare two circles' radii, or their circumferences, but not one radius to a circumference).
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
This works for any arbitrary shape. So in this example, the scale factor is (25/13) and the area is 37 so the new area is 37*(25/13)² or 37 * 625/169 = 136.83...
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
The nice thing about this method is that it generalizes to higher dimensions. For a 1-sphere (circle) in 2-space (the plane) it's length squared, for a 2-sphere (sphere) in 3-space (3D space) it's length cubed, for a 3-sphere (etc.) in 4-space it's length raised to the fourth power, etc.
Maxwell's Demon
Maxwell's Demon
Also, if you want to compute 2D surface area of higher dimensional figures, you still square the length regardless of the figure, 3D volumes are always length cubed, and so on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom