Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

$10 off Sherlock Holmes - The Awakened on Steam

Hazelnut

Erudite
Now through Monday, February 4th, you'll save $10 on Sherlock Holmes - The Awakened.

I just noticed this on Steam, anyone played it? I'm tempted.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Yeah, I was tempted. But I resisted.

I liked what I saw of the demo, seemed to be building to something nicely atmospheric, but then I gave myself a reality check and realised it would just join the long list of games I no longer have the time to finish.

Did you get it?

Anyway, it gets discussed a little in that Recommend and Adventure Game thread.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
I have it. Didn't progress very far though. The game's minor flaws eventually formed one giant pile of annoyance, which I couldn't overlook anymore, so I just gave up. You walk too slow, you can't skip conversations, way too many events and seemingly logical actions rely on unrelated triggers and the laboratory minigames are just badly designed, with drawn out, non-skippable animations.

If you really enjoy the game's atmosphere, I guess you could ignore all of this and still have fun, but there was just too much wrong for me.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Nah, I didn't get it. Seems I've just been assimilated by RoA, so it may be a while before I need anything else to play. :D

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Isn't this made fromthe same company that made SH: the case of the Silver Earring? That game was horrible. The only SH games of real worth are the two "lost files".

Educated
Looks pretty generic to me.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,730/

The Bad: Dull and lifeless environments; weak Cthulhu elements; predictable plot that stops feeling mysterious two hours into the game.

Yeah thats what I thought. Another one of those games that only gets a pass due to the low amount of adventures worth playing.

Seboss

Liturgist
For one, you can run, for two, animations are skippable and finally, I found the game pretty decent. Now go play Sam&Max Season 2.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
I don't think you can actually skip the animations in the lab (you know, the chemistry minigame thing). Neither ESC, nor the action keys did anything. But feel free to correct me, if I just missed something there.

I know these are only minor annoyances, but as I said, there are just way too many of them. I didn't even mention the sometimes laughably exaggerated voice acting, the documents in your inventory, with their tiny, unreadable font, or the awkwardly implemented text parser bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom