Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Alpha Systems Test Launched

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

inXile weren't kidding around when they said the Torment: Tides of Numenera alpha systems test was going to launch soon. Here's the email all the alpha backers just got:

Dear Alpha Systems Testers,

You're receiving this message because your Torment reward selection (or add-on) contained Alpha Systems Test (AST) access. Thank you for your generous support!

We are now ready to launch the first AST, which we are calling A0, to you. This alpha test will be available on Steam and for Windows (and Mac), and contains a short segment of the game's opening. Our intention with A0 is to gather feedback on our conversation system and, basic exploration gameplay, and the general tone set in the beginning of the game.

To claim your AST Steam key, please your Rewards page on the Torment site and click the "Manage Keys" button you find there: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/user/private/rewards

Before you play, you may wish to read our A0 Release Notes, which contains detailed information about A0. This will also help you give us better feedback since you will have some better understanding of the state of the A0 release. You can find that here: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/backer-information/ast-a0-release-notes

For more information on the Torment AST in general, please visit our Torment AST FAQ, which answers many general questions about the AST: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/backer-information/ast-faq

Last, if you would like to take part in the discussion around the Torment AST or share your feedback, we invite you to visit our forums and UserVoice pages.

Thank you for your generous support, and we hope you enjoy this exclusive first chance to play Torment and provide us with your feedback.

Thank you,
Kevin Saunders - Torment Project Lead
inXile Entertainment
Here we go! For those of us who didn't pledge for the alpha, I'm sure plenty of screenshots and perhaps even livestreams will soon be available. Or if you'd like to join in yourself, head on over to inXile's Torment portal and pay up.

Fuck. Now I have regrets for not purchasing this addon. Only have beta, probably will not play because of spoilers :)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll post my thoughts here as it might be more visible than in the sub-forum.

Well that was certainly a... short look at the game. The Steam timer stated 10 minutes and that was only because I was purposely reading slowly. It was basically you (your Avatar) in your mind running to three glowing globes with a memory inside. Depending on how you chose to respond to a situation gives you a boost in Intelligence, Speed or Might. The first "memory was of someone drowning (you I presume) and you can quickly grab the person (speed) or break the globe (might). You then answer a number of questions that I assume increases certain skills but it didn't show me what those were. At the end you "see" yourself in a mirror and can either choose the individual doppelganger or choose that that's not you. I chose "It's not me." and the Alpha ends telling me this is where I would be able to distribute points how I see fit when the game is released. Then that's it. I'll "play" it again to write down what was said at each globe later if someone wants me to. I didn't try to memorize it all as I just wanted to see what it looked like.

edit: Forgot to state that at the beginning, which is voiced (the only voiced part), you are falling to the earth from a very high point and you can choose several options like spreading your arms to slow your fall. Or you can examine yourself (you have a black jumpsuit type thing on) or look to the horizon. After several of these choices you hit the earth and wake up in your mind.

It was smooth as butter for me and didn't have one little technical issue. Definitely looks more Baldur's Gate than Planescape as far as graphics. It's not as "zoomed in" as P:T was.

There's not enough there to get butterflies over. Many of the menu options were grayed out and I couldn't even look at a character screen.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, alpha access only costs 10 Euros, so you can't really complain about length. A bottle of water at Gamescom cost more than that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
they should add all of the codex to this just to make sure their game won't stink on release.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I was about to beg for a key from someone who didn't want theirs, but if mindx2 is right and its 10 minutes long I don't even see the point.

Fry

Arcane
I wouldn't add access just for this. Watch a stream and you've seen it.

No idea what else they'll be adding, though. Could be one more alpha update, could be several.

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wouldn't add access just for this. Watch a stream and you've seen it.

No idea what else they'll be adding, though. Could be one more alpha update, could be several.

From Brother None on NeoGAF

"Do realize every AST is a bite-sized chunk (as the OP pointed out), but we're going to do at least one more"

Darkzone

Arcane
Yes it is kind of small, but BO seems to be on its way. The background music is nice.

Gremius

Augur
What score would you give to music so far?
In this comparative scale:
1- accidental bumps in the pot
(...)
5- Justin Bell
(...)
10- some masterpiece

Darkzone

Arcane
What score would you give to music so far?
In this comparative scale:
1- accidental bumps in the pot
(...)
5- Justin Bell
(...)
10- some masterpiece

A very difficult question. This is atmospheric ambient music that is not "penetrant" ( obtrusively ) and the environment supports the mood that the soundtrack builds or the other way around. I don't know Justin Bell's works, besides Cloud Atlas and i don't remember the music from the film.
Inon Zur Fallout Soundtrack was not very impressive and neither that atmospheric in my memory, but i admit i have listened too much to the radio channels, so that i could not really listen in on the background soundtrack music across the game. Perhaps this was my flaw in my F:NV playthrough. I would put it above Inon Zur, but it is definitely not a masterpiece. So 6-7 would be a good number. I will listen to it tomorrow again and compare it with other comparable pieces of Mark Morgan in its enviroment.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I backed this for the collector's edition and I don't have access to alpha? :( :argh:

Gremius

Augur
A very difficult question. This is atmospheric ambient music that is not "penetrant" ( obtrusively )
Well, in Pillars of Eternity it was too in theory "atmospheric ambient music" but it was bad. Really bad (outside of combat).

Ulrox

Arbiter
Guys, - previews and thoughts on the alpha is needed, my hype demands it!

Darkzone

Arcane
Well, in Pillars of Eternity it was too in theory "atmospheric ambient music" but it was bad. Really bad (outside of combat).
Ohh yes Justin Bell has made the soundtrack for PoE. PoE had a very forgettable soundtrack and i haven't played it since over two or three months ago, and i don't remember anything from the soundtrack. I know what i will do now, i will play PoE for one or two hours and then i have a good comparison.

Guys, - previews and thoughts on the alpha is needed, my hype demands it!
The scenes are nice with fitting soundtrack, but it is too early for a definite statement, because there is no combat or crisis situation and this is only the character generation sequence. And in this sequence it is more about the identification what you are and how you solve certain problems (might or speed or intellect). Torment is my greatest hope for a masterpiece of RPG and currently nothing indicates the opposite. So in other words it looks very good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom