Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda comes to GOG: Classic Elder Scrolls games released, Fallout trilogy returns

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire; Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall; Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind; Elder Scrolls: Arena; Fallout; Fallout 2; Fallout Tactics; The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard

You may recall that at the end of 2013, following the expiration of Interplay's license to sell them, the original Fallout games were removed from sale on GOG, due to the site's lack of a partnership with Fallout IP owners Bethesda Softworks. Those classics, formerly among the site's top-selling games, have been gone since then. Recently, however, existing owners of the Fallouts noticed that their copies had been renamed to "Fallout Classic", "Fallout 2 Classic", and "Fallout Tactics Classic", respectively.

So it was not a huge surprise today when GOG announced their new partnership with Bethesda Softworks, not only bringing back the Fallouts but also releasing the classic Elder Scrolls titles as well. Yes, including Battlespire and Redguard! They've released classic id Software shooters Doom and Quake as well. Here's the announcement:

Welcome, Bethesda, to our pantheon of all-time classics!

Today, we're happy to start a blooming new partnership with Bethesda Softworks, one that brings an impressive lineup of their unforgettable games to our DRM-free platform, and plenty of guts and nuclear smiles to our faces.

We're teaming up to release some of the greatest hits from the Bethesda vault, some DRM-free for the first time ever. Eleven new arrivals include The Elder Scrolls and two digital-distribution premieres, totally retro id Software shooters, plus the long-awaited return of the Fallout franchise! To make the day even sweeter, The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall will be added to your game shelf entirely for free when you buy any Bethesda game.

The Elder Scrolls, perched high up among the most famous video-game worlds ever created, are now DRM-free and updated for your modern computer - you can purchase all three to receive a 33% discount:

--The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition.
--The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard - digital distribution premiere.
--The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire - digital distribution premiere.
--The Elder Scrolls: Arena - FREE with any Bethesda purchase.
--The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall - FREE with any Bethesda purchase, too.

Megahit id Software first-person shooters join the fray - also 33% off if you grab all three:

--Quake including Mission Pack 1 and Mission Pack 2
--The Ultimate DOOM
--DOOM II + Master Levels for Doom II + Final DOOM

And last we find that goodbyes are not forever (and that war never changes). Fallout, the premiere post nuclear role playing game franchise is finally back on GOG.com! Save 66% if you complete your collection in one purchase.

--Fallout
--Fallout 2
--Fallout Tactics

The bundle promos end on Wednesday, September 2, 12:59 PM GMT.
Battlespire and Redguard will cost you $6 a piece, while Morrowind is a steep $20, and the Fallouts are $10 each. Note that these are new versions of the Fallout games, and the old Interplay versions have not been upgraded seamlessly like what happened on Steam. Apparently, Interplay's Classic editions include more goodies, so hopefully you all got them for free back in 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
clint_ew.gif

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
it's good news for battlespire I guess, people make it sound like it's a pain in the ass to get it to run 100% on modern systems. Or maybe they're just inept shrug

Themadcow

Augur
Hmmm, more expensive than I'd expected. It's a no from me.

*edit, although if I read it correctly I should get Arena and Daggerfall even if I just purchase Redguard for $5.99...

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
They need to advertise it more clearly that the all the games come with Daggerfall & Arena, I didn't even see it at first. Probably going to buy Battlespire to get them.

Themadcow

Augur
you fags know that arena and daggerfall are freeware right

Convenience innit. I even have a physical copy of Morrowind but I'd probably drop a small amount on a digital version just for the sake of easy access... err, just not the amount they want.

Don Peste

Arcane
Are they using GOG for betatesting the classic Elder Scrolls titles, to later import them to Steam? Since you can get refunds on Steam, UNLIKE ANY OTHER STORE IN THE WORLD...

The Bootymancer

Learned
They finally got Redguard working on modern computers? Someone let me know if it still crashes in Clavicus Vile's realm.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So is Battlespire and/or Redguard worth it Never played those.

I am quite surprised that bethesda allowed gog to sell Fallout again after that little surprise gog made when it was partying with Fallout (100% sale).

DramaticPopcorn

Holy shit, Redguard! I missed that game so much. Actually bought an old Toshiba laptop with Win 98 to play it but couldn't run it anyway. That game is still intriguing to me for reasons I can't remember, gonna grab it one of these days.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sure, but I had no luck getting it to run properly, as with many other games which are now thankfully (almost) all available on GoG.

Not only are they free (and officially released for free by Bethesda, not as abandonware) but they come with an easy installer, perfect for retards. You just install and run them like you would any other modern game.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So is Battlespire and/or Redguard worth it Never played those.

Battlespire is a great dungeon crawler. However, it is a pure dungeon crawler and nothing else, so, depends on what you're looking for.

Redguard is an action adventure, but I've only derped around in it for the first time today so I've no idea if it's any good. Combat is even more simplistic than in main series Elder Scrolls, but maybe the exploration makes up for that. It does feature Bethesda's trademark deadpan voice acting, though, and Todd Howard as project lead, so that's gotta count for something.

Turjan

Arcane
Does Redguard come with the original comic?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom