Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpy trashes Hammer & Sickle

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Hammer & Sickle; Nival Interactive

<a href=http://www.gamespy.com>GameSpy</a> have one of the first <a href=http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hammer-sickle/672687p1.html>reviews</a> of the Silent Storm powered Cold War RPG Hammer & Sickle. They apparently thought it kinda sucked and gave it a discouraging <b>2/5 stars</b>.<blockquote>In addition to your squad, you'll sometimes fight alongside computer-controlled allies. Allies and bad guys alike tend to shoot their own men with alarming frequency and make foolish tactical choices. In light of the iffy A.I., the game usually beats you with sheer numbers. In fact, you often enter new areas to find yourself immediately face to face with a bunch of foes. That's a real sucker punch. Retreat is not an option; you can't leave a map until all enemies are dead.</blockquote>Shooting your own guys in the back is part of the rich historical background.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Whipporowill</b>!
<br>

Balor

Arcane
There are two conclusions I've made from this review:
a. Reviewer is a moron.
b. Translation quality is horrendous, and perhaps the game was heavily bugged in the process of it.
See full review of this review in general discussion thread.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
As far as I know, game is much better than that. I havent played it myself but friend of mine who is great fan of Fallouts and like Gothic very much, found the game being great. Actually, "very great".

While I realise his judgment is not to be trusted at 100%, but its not 2 out of 5 most definetly. I'd say its closer to 4 or, maybe, even 5.

Fresh

Erudite
Perhaps this was already posted, but there's a review giving H & S top score:

Conclusion:

During Hammer and Sickle you will rely a lot on stealth and tools, and not all out killing as some other games. As I mentioned before I like RPG games but was more into the fantasy RPG's like Final Fantasy series, LOTR and those types. I wasn't sure how I would like a 'real' RPG game, but I am very impressed with it, and will hopefully finish it when I have the time.

Hammer and Sickle is a great game and I think lots of other people will agree with me, even though I thought the whole WWII theme was a bit played out, Hammer and Sickle breathes new life into the genre of WWII themed games with some very cool features and great gameplay. It is a fresh take on the genre and a nice break from the all to common first person shooters out there. For fans of Silent Storm I would suggest picking this up, as you will enjoy it, and for those not familiar with it, well pick both up, they are both great games. ThinkComputers gives Hammer and Sickle a 10 out of 10 score.

Pros:
- Easy to use interface
- Nice graphics
- Cool storyline
- Great features
- Nice eye candy and cut scenes

Cons:
- Weird default cursor, use the Hardware Cursor option.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/v2/index. ... 299&page=8

EDIT: Yes it's a pretty crappy review, but hey at least he liked the game. :)

Balor

Arcane
It's the last page of the review :P.
___
Edit:
On the other hand, entire review is not awfully informative.
However, he did like the game, heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom