Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Seven Dragon Saga October Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: David Shelley; Seven Dragon Saga; Tactical Simulations Interactive

The latest monthly update for TSI's Gold Box spiritual successor Seven Dragon Saga offers new details on the mechanics of the game's Goal system for personalizing player characters. It's pretty ambitious-sounding stuff. The accompanying concept art demonstrates how a character's Goal will be selected in character creation. Check it out:

Hello all! Lately the design team has been focusing on ways to imbue player made characters with personality, beyond their base stats and skills. Traditionally, most party based cRPG’s either allow players to create custom characters that are little more than walking stat sheets, or they provide the player with pre made characters with rich back stories at the cost of player agency.

7DS takes a hybrid approach, by allowing players to create a party of custom characters with unique personalities which participate in the game’s narrative elements by using our goals system.

During character creation, players answer a short series of questions, like the one above, to create a personality profile for the character along with their race, class, and specialization. Based on those answers, the character gains one of 13 goals.

A character’s goal awards bonus experience to that character when the player solves quests in a manner aligned with it. We also use goals to create conversations between characters. For example, a character with the Acclaim (seeking fame) goal, may chide a Compassion (helping others) focused character on how they try to help people, but always forget to trumpet the fact. The Compassion character could push back, about how being helpful is an end in itself, and worrying about what others think is stupid.

The game also tracks when events occur, and overall ratings of how the party solves issues. So, if the game recognizes that the player likes to slaughter his way out of problems, a character with the Sanctity goal (respect for all religions), might commiserate with the Compassion character on how their views are not being heard.

As the project progresses we’ll be adding more depth to this system to enhance the characters personalities and provide more feedback to the player including camp events and romance options.

Folks at the office have snapped up the new official D&D cRPG, Sword Coast Legends, and ploughed a few hours into it. Nice to see more official games coming out. What do others think of it?​

As Dorateen says, play some Wizardry 8 instead!

Xenich

Cipher
Folks at the office have snapped up the new official D&D cRPG, Sword Coast Legends, and ploughed a few hours into it. Nice to see more official games coming out. What do others think of it?

What I thought of it when it was announced and explained... another mainstream gimmick game marketing off a name and a current trend in the market to provide old school games.
More specifically, complete and utter shit designed to feed the masses of idiot sheep. A game for suckers.

/shrug

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I feel so happy when small projects finally get their shit together and hire a goddamn designer to do the interface. :hug:

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
I fundamentally like fully created party systems better than recruiting NPCs, but I've always wanted better interactivity beyond what's going on in mah brain between said party members. I've often thought about ways to accomplish that and the goals system seems like it would be a decent implementation.

Namutree

Savant

"Folks at the office have snapped up the new official D&D cRPG, Sword Coast Legends, and ploughed a few hours into it. Nice to see more official games coming out. What do others think of it?"

It's a crappy Diablo clone that should be remembered only as a cautionary tale of how NOT to make a D&D game.​

Tao

Savant
I like what I'm hearing. Could be a good improvement in crpgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom