Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kickstarter Roundup: Stellar Tactics and Krai Mira

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Krai Mira; Maverick Games; Stellar Tactics; Tall Tech Studio

Two indie RPGs have rather unwisely decided to launch their Kickstarter campaigns simultaneously today. The first of them is Stellar Tactics by Maverick Games, a company led by one Don Wilkins, who was a producer on Arcanum and Wizardry Gold. It's an ambitious sci-fi RPG with turn-based combat and sandbox-style space exploration. We've actually known about the game since February, but apparently it's been in development for many years. The Kickstarter campaign is asking for $67,000, and a $12 pledge will secure you a copy if it succeeds. Here's the trailer:

The second game is Krai Mira by Polish developer Tall Tech Studio. It's a post-apocalyptic RPG in the vein of Fallout which has also been in development for a while, formerly under the name "Crimea". Its Kickstarter campaign needs just £2,000, with £10 required for a copy. Krai Mira has a free demo, and oddly enough, is also already available for sale on Steam Early Access. I guess that's a thing now. Here's the trailer:

Say what you want about Eastern European shovelware, but that narrator is awesome.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Tags: Krai Mira; Maverick Games; Stellar Tactics; Tall Tech Studio

Two indie RPGs have rather unwisely decided to launch their Kickstarter campaigns simultaneously today. The first of them is Stellar Tactics by Maverick Games, an ambitious sci-fi RPG with turn-based combat and sandbox-style space exploration. We've actually known about this game since February, but apparently it's been in development for many years. The Kickstarter campaign is asking for $67,000, and a $12 pledge will secure you a copy if it succeeds. Here's the trailer:

Might as well mention that the lead developer worked as design director on Wizardry Gold and as Sierra's producer on Arcanum.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Both at least show potential but the campaigns unfortunately already seem to be dead in the water. Krai Mira will probably happen anyway (if with even less polish), not sure about Stellar Tactics.

DramaticPopcorn

Reporting on Kickstarter in 2016 is an excercise in futility

Wizfall

Cipher
I'm impressed by the Stellar game and his lead developer resume, only thing i dislike is the sand box thing.
The Fallout game is very impressive too but what an incredible lack of imagination, i mean seriously ? not gonna pledge on this one.

Those 2 games would have had lot of money 3/4 years ago.
I believe it's more due to the fact that old school players have much more games to their liking to play now rather than kickstarter fatigue.
Still sad though.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
The games actually do look quite good! I might shell out some dough later. Thanks for the update!

StellarTactics

Maverick Games
Developer
Hi, Don Wilkins Developer of Stellar Tactics here.

First, I really appreciate the News post on the site. It's a huge help for a small Indie Developer. Second, I'd like to thank everyone who backed us on Day One on Kickstarter.

I've been working on Stellar Tactics for a very long time, over six years. I'm hoping the Kickstarter works out so I can work on the game full time. If it doesn't, I'll keep working away on the game in my spare time.

I'm happy to answer any questions here, any time. I'll check in occasionally and chime in on any discussions about the game where appropriate, either here or on the forums.

Thanks again,

-Don

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

First, I really appreciate the News post on the site. It's a huge help for a small Indie Developer. Second, I'd like to thank everyone who backed us on Day One on Kickstarter.

I've been working on Stellar Tactics for a very long time, over six years. I'm hoping the Kickstarter works out so I can work on the game full time. If it doesn't, I'll keep working away on the game in my spare time.

I'm happy to answer any questions here, any time. I'll check in occasionally and chime in on any discussions about the game where appropriate, either here or on the forums.

Thanks again,

-Don
Hi, Don
Welcome on board.

Just a question: what would you say are your main gaming influences/inspiration in this project?
Personally I'd love a game to bring back the feelings I had many years ago with old Planet's Edge.

Good luck with your project and I hope you manage to reach the funding.

StellarTactics

Maverick Games
Developer
I completely forgot about that game but remember playing it a very long time ago.

I'd say Sentinel Worlds, Star Control, Star Flight, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2 would be main influences.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
For additional coverage, maybe you could try to get into contact with people like Matt Barton, he would probably be interested in doing an interview with you.

Good luck with the KS!

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
For additional coverage, maybe you could try to get into contact with people like Matt Barton, he would probably be interested in doing an interview with you.
Good idea!

And also, since you promise a DRM-free version, you should try posting on the GOG forum in order to attract more attention to your project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Stellar Tactics actually looks really great (brilliant even), and it looks advanced enough to not be a pipe dream. Kickstarter is probably going nowhere sadly, but the guy seems like he will continue anyway.

Dyspaire

Cipher

Thanks again,

-Don

The game looks fantastic, and you can tell that a lot of time and love has been put into it. If I could give you a piece of advice; emulate Firefly.

You have the basics in your game already as to what appeals to people about that universe. Without being too overt, a little bit of that Firefly magic (without going so far as to get into copyright issues) would help your game reach a wider audience for sure.

Think about promoting it in places where people still talk about the show. Use music that feels similar to that found in Firefly.

Think about it.

Good luck and I can't wait to play the final version.

Morkar Left

Already backed Krai Mira. Stellar Tactics I didn't know. Could turn out great and I'm waiting for ages for a modern Starflight (Prospector seems to abandoned unfortunately).

StellarTactics

Maverick Games
Developer
Thank you all, really appreciate the support. Sent Matt Barton a note and will post on GoG after reading their terms. Will get in touch with sstacks through ShanePlays to see if he would consider an interview.

Firefly is one of my favorites. Was sad the series didn't continue (like most Sci-Fi fans).

sstacks

Arcane
Thank you all, really appreciate the support. Sent Matt Barton a note and will post on GoG after reading their terms. Will get in touch with sstacks through ShanePlays to see if he would consider an interview.

Firefly is one of my favorites. Was sad the series didn't continue (like most Sci-Fi fans).

Hey Don I got your email, I'll either get you on the live show or do a special podcast with you due to time sensitive nature of your KS.

I also sent a note to Matt Barton (he's a bud) to make sure he sees your contact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom