Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News George Ziets talks Torment: Tides of Numenera over at Gamegrin

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Gamegrin published an interview with George Ziets today. The topic for the interview is Torment: Tides of Numenera, and that alone.

It's pretty interesting and a must-read if you're a Ziets-head (as we Ziets fans call ourselves) or a Torment-head. Here's an excerpt:

GAMEGRIN:
How many companions are there currently, how many have you planned for the full release, and how important is the choice of companions throughout the game?

GEORGE:
In our Early Access build, we have four companions. Aligern and Callistege are the two nanos (i.e., techno-wizards) who witness your fall to earth and join you while exploring the Reef of Fallen Worlds. Unfortunately, they can’t stand each other, and you ultimately have to pick one or the other. You can always swap them out, but they’ll never again travel in the party at the same time. Tybir is a charismatic – and somewhat shady - jack (i.e., jack-of-all-trades) who you’ll meet in Circus Minor. If you’re willing to help his friend escape a rather unusual (and disgusting) execution, he’ll join your party. Matkina, the “cold, calculating jack,” is a castoff like you, and you’ll be sent to find her as part of the main story path in Sagus Cliffs.

As for the remaining companions… we want them to remain a surprise, so I’m not allowed to talk about them yet.

Choosing one companion over another will flavor your experience of the world, and it will sometimes affect how a quest plays out, what information you are given by NPCs, or what options are available to resolve a situation. For example, Tybir will sometimes jump in to help you deceive someone, and he also has some friends and acquaintances around Sagus Cliffs who will react differently to your party if he is present. Also, some events and encounters will *only* happen if a particular companion is in the party. Another example – If you solved Tybir’s quest in a particular way, and he’s still in your party when you’re leaving the city, you’ll have an encounter that wouldn’t have happened otherwise. Finally, companions will offer quests as you progress through the game – solving them will advance their personal storylines and change their relationship with you, for better or worse. It will also affect how their stories are resolved in the endgame.​

Not Zed

Novice
I prefer less but well fleshed out companions over a lot of forgettable companions that serve merely as pack mules. Hopefully this game will have combat XP. Combat XP, babes and gore are the foundation a well made cRPG is build on, or so I've heard.

resilient sphere

Educated
I guarantee one of the secret companions is a bare-chested musclebound Tiefling called Hugo who rubs up against your character whenever they converse and talks like a Buffy the Vampire Slayer cast-off character

Kaivokz

Arcane
It all sounds pretty good to me. I haven't been keeping up with the game's progress, but I look forward to seeing what they've created.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom