Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Siege a town and get your own Castle

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Armagan; Mount & Blade; TaleWorlds

The next version of <a href="http://www.taleworlds.com/">Action-RPG Mount & Blade</a> is out and <a href="http://forums.taleworlds.net/viewtopic.php?t=7944">according to the feedback</a>, it's a doozy:
<br>
<blockquote>Alright. As we all know there are now sieges in the game. But has anyone tried entering a castle after you have completed the siege? I did. And lo and behold:
<br>
<br>
"Inspect the Castle"
<br>
"Station Troops"
<br>
"Rest until Morning"
<br>
"Leave"
<br>
<br>
So, of course I stationed some troops and then inspected the castle. The troops were all there on their respective positions. I left, rested until morning, and moved on to pillaging. But I saw something as I left:
<br>
<br>
"Collum Keep"
<br>
4 Vaegir Marksmen
<br>
2 Vaigir Knights
<br>
"Player Faction"
<br>
<br>
It was not an Outlaw keep but a PLAYER keep. It was MY keep. So, later on I returned only to find it... UNDER ATTACK!
<br>
<br>
The NPC Swadians were attacking my keep because it registered as MINE and I was Vaegir. So, I loaded up and went over to save my keep. What followed was a replay of Gandalf reinforcing Helm's Deep.</blockquote>
<br>
So go relive your LOTR dreams. <strong>Note that version 0.730 is not yet tested throughly and may have bugs / stability problems.</strong> If you're still game to try a bit of castle sieging though, you can <a href="http://www.taleworlds.com/mb_download.html">download Mount & Blade here</a>. There's also the old and stable 0.711 version for those who are risk averse.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Sounds sweet! I tried it in the very early stages and wasn't all that impressed so I decided to hold out on it until further in development. Perhaps I should try this one again.

HardCode

Erudite
Well, I said "fuck it" to the "unethical in my opinion" type of copy protection root kit the game installs, and I installed the demo anyway.

I must say, this game is fucking fun! I had a blast last night getting my character to level 6 when the game shut down on me. I think I am going to buy a key tonight.

It's kind of refreshing to finally have a game developed that actually focus on the important things. No celebrity voices, no flashy bullshit that does nothing to the gameplay. Just focus in the right place. I like this game.

I liked the dialog that they have so far. Well written and natural-like (Bethesda take a hint). I just hope that the future of the game holds some dialog choices that have impacts on the game.

But for what it is, the combat is outstanding and a ton of fun. I like charging on horseback and smashing the enemy. I like how a horse charge causes damage. I like getting thrown off the horse, pounding another mounted rider, and jumping on his horse. This game will be a winner. Just let the developers stay true to the game.

Psilon

Erudite
HardCode said:
Well, I said "fuck it" to the "unethical in my opinion" type of copy protection root kit the game installs, and I installed the demo anyway.

Um, what copy protection rootkit? StarForce, or something worse?

elander_

Arbiter
This is starting to be a great game. I wonder if they are going to keep focusing on combat or will add some gameplay for stealth and other skills non combat oriented?

Still there is more innovation in this demo than in the gamespy entire list of best games of the last year. Gameplay must be evil or something for some people.

HardCode

Erudite
Psilon said:
HardCode said:

Supposed to be some kind of driver that prevents copy protection. I am not sure if it boots with Windows or starts with the game, but I always avoid shit like that ... except in this case of course :)

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Psilon said:
HardCode said:

Themida.

Balor

Arcane
Btw, note the 'control attack dir by mouse movement' option.
Works GREAT! Reall makes one feel in control of one's sword movements... not DBTS, of course, but DBTS came out like ten years too early.
I would by a cyberglove (or similar) for a game like that, myself - even given that it's not perfect too..

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Yeah, I noticed that. BIG improvement over attack direction control. I like that there are a few other options you can choose too which is kind of neat. Normally most games just give you one system and to hell with what your personal preference is.

HardCode

Erudite
I had one bug in one town, where I visited the count, and there was no way to exit that round room! Good thing I saved.

I am going to have to try that attack direction option. I bought the game, and I was up to 3:00 am playing :D It's going to make me lose a lot of sleep.

HardCode

Erudite
Nicolai said:
Why didn't you just exit the room by pressing TAB?

Because I change the key binding to "T". :) No really, I didn't know that key could be used to exit a room. Hey, I've spent the first 80% of the first two nights in the arena having fun on horses. I have to learn the game yet.

Zomg

Arbiter
I keep getting turned into a smear of gore trying to attack that outlaw castle near Tulga.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom