Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny Progression and Skills Stream

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Nick Carver; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

As promised in last month's stream, there was another Tyranny livestream on Twitch yesterday. This time it was on Obsidian's own channel, and perhaps for that reason it was more interesting than usual. Hosted by Brian Heins and designers Nick Carver and Kevin Jordan, the stream gave a comprehensive look at several of the game's character progression systems. Namely, the talent trees, the reputation system (which unlocks the companion combos), and the skill system. These systems are demonstrated in a short scenario wherein the Fatebinder and his party are tasked with rooting out some rebels in a wilderness area. In one playthrough, the rebels are all massacred, and in the second, a more peaceful approach is attempted.

The skill system in particular is rather interesting, and worth elaborating upon. In combat, many of Tyranny's skills only improve to the extent that they contribute to damage dealing. For example, if you cast a buff spell, that spell's skill increases proportionately to the combat effectiveness of the buffed character - merely casting it is not enough. If you resolve an encounter non-violently, your skills are instead increased across the board proportionately (ie, your higher skills increase more), and quest experience works the same way. It sounds like it could be a fun mechanic for powergamers, and it also prevents Elder Scrolls-style grinding.

As for the future, according to Brian, there will be more Tyranny streams this month, as well as unspecified other news. Come on, release date.

I really don't understand why Brian don't do all the talking, and kinda stay in the background.

He knows the inside & outside of this game.
Basically, this is his project...

And you can see in the video that he's struggling himself, trying to keep his mouth shut, becuase the dude in the middle don't always explain exactly what's need to be explain...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Dude in the middle is a systems designer so I assume he's qualified to explain the systems.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Still looks very interesting, probably a day one purchase for me. Looking forward to more streams, hope I'll be able to catch one live.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I will be fair I am surprised by the quality of the animations and model detail. This will probably be less boring than POE, maybe.

Sentinel

Arcane
I will be fair I am surprised by the quality of the animations and model detail. This will probably be less boring than POE, maybe.
It's only natural that the move to Unity 5 provides way more room for graphical improvements since Unity 5 is miles ahead of the pile of shit that is 4 in terms of graphical capabilities (naturally) and more importantly resource management. Sawyer also said that they weren't happy with the shit models in PoE but they couldn't do any more with the shit technology they had so yeah.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think the models looked p. decent in PoE, except for the Amaumaua which looked nothing like the portraits up close, then again the visual design of that race was inconsistent as fuck.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I feel like the major graphical improvement wasn't really the animation, it was simply the painted art/palette for the background in general. It's absolutely stunning.

Also the suit of armor for the tank. Yeah that thing, just wow.

This is just what iteration shows, the experience making isometric games with almost 20 years of new art tools since Infinity Engine is going to give us some really insane things once the artists get years of practice under their belts. I can only dream of what Pillars of Eternity 5's backgrounds are going to look like if these games keep selling.

gaussgunner

Arcane
To me all the other races in PoE just looked like misshapen humans with face paint. Damn 3D, HD, 4K. :lol: The humans and elves looked allright though. No big deal. I'm sure the art will just keep getting better and better. Hopefully gameplay too.

The spell creation system in Tyranny looks pretty cool. Huge incline from PoE's "skill fever".

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
just let me fucking distribute my own skillpoints, learn by doing systems are utter shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom