Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameBanshee reviews Dungeon Lords CE

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Lords; Heuristic Park Inc.

Inspired by <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11281>the interview</a>, <a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com>GameBanshee</a> has decided to <a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/software/dungeonlordsce1.php#null>review</a> DW Bradley's gift to mankind, otherwise known as <a href=http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com/>Dungeon Lords</a>: the Collector's Edition, generously giving it <b>8.2</b>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>But that was then, and this is now. After its release, Heuristic Park continued to work on the game, and they’ve now released three patches. The first patch stamped out some bugs, the second patch added in the auto-map feature (and stamped out some more bugs), and the third patch added in the missing spells and skills (and stamped out yet even more bugs). During this time, Heuristic Park also created some new quests and NPCs to flesh out the empty towns, but rather than make those available in a patch as well, they and DreamCatcher decided to re-release Dungeon Lords in a special edition.
<br>
<br>
Was this a good idea? In my oh-so-humble opinion, the answer is no. First of all, if you’re a publisher and you’ve generated a tremendous amount of ill-will from people who have purchased your games, it seems like it would be a good idea to try and make those people happy rather than try and convince them to purchase even more games. Secondly, the Dungeon Lords Collector’s Edition isn’t exactly Fable: The Lost Chapters. It doesn’t offer a lot of new content, and most of that content isn’t exactly bonus material. I think it would be easy to argue that most of the new content (like the furniture and chests added to the towns) should have been included in the original release, and trying to make people pay extra money for such additions is galling.</blockquote>No arguing here.
<br>

obediah

Erudite
The numerical rating definitely doesn't jive with the text. Looks like the message Bradley took from the first release was that they didn't spend enough money on reviews. :)

Levski 1912

Scholar
obediah said:
The numerical rating definitely doesn't jive with the text. Looks like the message Bradley took from the first release was that they didn't spend enough money on reviews. :)
PR is where it's at, baby. Just ask Bethes...oh nevermind.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Usually i don't wish the demise of any dev or publisher as the problems tend to be incompetence or annoying schilling. But this is Grade A Douchbaggery and i hope this company dies... DIES! You hear me Heuristic??? Yeah, i said it... belee dat playa.

aboyd

Liturgist
obediah said:
The numerical rating definitely doesn't jive with the text.
IIRC, I read on the Codex that many editors will take liberties with the score, nudging it up a full notch if they so choose. It's possible that the writer gave the game a 7 or so, and the editor knocked it up, so to speak. I guess we can call it a pregnant score.

-Tony

Grantus

Novice
I was actually a sucker and bought the CE version after finding the original version unplayable. CE is ... playable, at least. I haven't yet gotten far enough to say it's good or bad.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Having purchased the shitfest that is the first Dungeon Lords, I think DL:CE will be the only game I won't feel too guilty pirating.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Thrawn05 said:
Vault Dweller said:
...generously giving it <b>8.2</b>

I think they mean 8.2 out of a 100.00. At least I hope that's what they mean. :roll:

They mean 82 out of 100.

I'd rather give 100/100.

Dungeon Lords was the combat rpg of 2004.
The best rpg of 2005.
And now because of CE (which is a different product) it will be the best rpg of 2006.

Dreamcatcher is a very cunning company.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Your parents don't let you play with scissors, do they?
Dirty_Rotten_Scoundrels_1.JPG

DemonKing

Arcane
theverybigslayer said:
They mean 82 out of 100.

I'd rather give 100/100.

Dungeon Lords was the combat rpg of 2004.
The best rpg of 2005.
And now because of CE (which is a different product) it will be the best rpg of 2006.

Dreamcatcher is a very cunning company.

Man - and we thought those guys with only a couple of posts who just joined recently were Dreamcatcher plants, whereas Very Big Slayer has been a sleeper agent since mid 2004...insidious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom