Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #16: Ships, Stretch Goals and DLC

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

After bizarrely taking yet another day off, Obsidian are back with a new Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig update to kick off the campaign's final two days. To the surprise of nobody who's been paying attention, the update announces that Deadfire will feature a player-owned ship. Not only will the ship take the role of the first game's stronghold, it's also the vehicle for a full-fledged Fallout-style world exploration layer, including random encounters with pirates and sea monsters. You can see some of that in the accompanying video:

Yes, we can finally confirm what we've been keeping secret this whole time: a new and exciting feature that takes the Pillars of Eternity experience to a completely new stage, which adds open-world exploration and discovery to the gameplay on both land and at sea! As many of you guessed correctly, in Deadfire you can be the captain of your own ship. With ships, you have the power to play the game differently; now, you can freely explore the islands of the Deadfire using the new world map.

You want details about the ships? No problem. Your ship is a Dyrwoodan sloop called the Defiant, purchased for you by the Steward of Caed Nua, who has made the journey to help you (part of her, anyway) on your quest to hunt down Eothas, and is one of the first allies to join you on your adventure. The ship acts as your mobile base of operations, carrying you and your comrades wherever you command. Companions will stay on-board while not in your party, and you can even go below decks to your captain's quarters for rest and relaxation.

You can customize, upgrade, and add personal touches to the Defiant. This includes changing your sails, painting your hull, and flying flags to show your personal colors/faction allegiance. You can also improve the performance of your cannons, sails, and hull, beyond just their cosmetic appearance. For example, Dwarven cannons add extra firepower in naval battles, or while upgraded sails give you an extra bit of speed to outmaneuver your opponent. If we hit our $3.5 million stretch goal,we'll add even more new and amazing, unlockable upgrades for your ships. And if we hit our $4 million stretch goal, we will add other ships that you can find, purchase, or even steal during your adventure - to make them your own.

The World Map - Navigate the High Seas

As you probably saw in the video, above, the world map has gotten complete overhaul in terms of form and function. No longer do you have to travel from point to point in a locked fashion (though you can travel directly to locations you've already discovered, if you want). Instead, you can freely explore the map in any direction you want with your ship. You can even disembark and travel by foot on the larger islands. Our design inspiration here comes directly from classic RPGs like Fallout1 & 2; this new approach to the world map makes Pillars II feel bigger, freer, and lets you play how you want. You may discover islands and dungeons not on your map, adventure on your own path for extra treasure, or chart a course towards a distant island.

During your sea travels, you can access the ship at any time to talk to your companions or manage your ship. And through the world map UI, you can travel directly to previously discovered locations. We have a similar feature in the Neketaka City Map UI that allows you to go directly to major interior areas without having to the walk through the exterior district maps manually, which will save you a lot of time.

Encounters

During your adventures around the islands of Deadfire, you may encounter things at sea. These special encounters will be presented as scripted interactions – not only will your ship play a role, but any ship upgrades will impact how these interactions play out, too. We will have both combat and non-combat encounters, many of which will play out in-game depending on the resolution you’ve chosen. For example, you may come upon a hostile pirate ship on the horizon. If you choose to engage, you can fire your cannons in attempt to destroy their ship, or you can try closing the distance to board and fight the crew directly. How effective a cannon shot is will depend on how improved your cannons are, and how likely you are to be able to escape, on your sails. Other examples include finding a derelict vessel, saving a group of stranded sailors on a wreck, meeting a traveling merchant, or fighting a monstrous sea creature. How you deal with these events is up to you.

As mentioned above, the update also announces new stretch goals, going all the way up to $5M. The stretch goals up to $4M are all related to the player ship - new ship upgrades at $3.5M, new islands to discover at $3.75M and the ability to obtain additional ships at $4M. At $5M, Obsidian will take Ydwin the Pale Elf sidekick and flesh her out, making her the game's eighth companion, and there'll be more stretch goals between $4M and $5M if the campaign gets that far. That sounds far-fetched right now, but with more Fig investment funds and post-campaign "slacker backers", maybe they'll get there.

Finally, Obsidian have officially decided to produce some form of expansion DLC for Deadfire. They have no idea yet what it's going to be about, but you can pre-order it now as a $20 add-on to your pledge.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Shows ship changing sails, flags and colors in video...

"Stretch goal":
This also adds options to pick your own colors for sails and flags!

:mrfussy:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finally, Obsidian have officially decided to produce some form of expansion DLC for Deadfire. They have no idea yet what it's going to be about, but you can pre-order it now as a $20 add-on to your pledge.

:lol:

I pledged for the digital copy, but that is just funny to me.

Mystery box DLC. We don't know anything about it except that it costs $20.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

:lol:

I pledged for the digital copy, but that is just funny to me.

Mystery box DLC. We don't know anything about it except that it costs $20.

Yeah, it is funny. They did do the same with the White March though (before it was called that).

aratuk

Cipher
Simplified Chinese? For an extra $250,000, can't the greedy bastards afford traditional Chinese? These questions need answers!

:keepmymoney:

Last edited:

Ruzen

Savant
It was very much expected (the ship). Free roaming looks more interesting. I hope random encounters is done right.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FUser%2Fprofile_image%2Fprofile_image%2F2017%2F02%2F01%2Fb8137b22-8263-4c04-8fd2-16dc719fe068

Patriotic C.

We won't hit 5 million but it looks like we will hit 3.5 Eothas willing.

Feb 23, 2017 | 10:09 AM

default_profile-b2dbaec72a86b47b17161ae47527536fbd5323b1f5331a78085a0ddac2dd2d7f.jpg

emoney
DEVELOPER

Don't be so sure. A little birdy told me we have something up our sleeve yet.

Feb 23, 2017 | 12:55 PM

225px-Fry_meme.png

Mieron

Novice
3.5 already happened, and the two final days always bring a lot of extra cash when people get their final pledges in. They'll reach 4 for sure at this rate at the very least, possibly upwards of 4.5 if we're lucky.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian really is following the Bioware model.

Spiritual successor to the IE games with concessions made for a modern, larger audience: Dragon Age: Origins, Pillars of Eternity
Streamlined, hot-rodded, more unusual and experimental slamdunk: Dragon Age II, Tyranny
Compromise between the two with more of an open world feel: Dragon Age Inquisition, Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire

If history truly repeats itself, Deadfire will be even easier than Tyranny despite being a compromise.

Obsidian really is following the Bioware model.

Spiritual successor to the IE games with concessions made for a modern, larger audience: Dragon Age: Origins, Pillars of Eternity
Streamlined, hot-rodded, more unusual and experimental slamdunk: Dragon Age II, Tyranny
Compromise between the two with more of an open world feel: Dragon Age Inquisition, Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire

If history truly repeats itself, Deadfire will be even easier than Tyranny despite being a compromise.
This comparison is very far-stretched. Maybe even very-very. Or very-very-very.
For example, DAI's open-world tried to emulate Skrim's open world, while Obsidian looks at Fallout 1-2 for inspiration.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is it possible to add money on our existing Codex pledge campaing to get digital add-ons like the ones on fig? (i.e.: 20$ for all of the upcoming dlcs).

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll give a good donation soon. Just spent too much on rum and seafood lately. It will be decently batshit.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is it possible to add money on our existing Codex pledge campaing to get digital add-ons like the ones on fig? (i.e.: 20$ for all of the upcoming dlcs).

Crooked Bee would have to arrange that.

Can someone point me to the full list of add-ons they're offering, specifically digital ones? Can't see them on the campaign's main page, or maybe I'm just blind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom