Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #14: Gadgets & Grenades

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship RPG; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

In a Colony Ship RPG development update published last year, Vault Dweller briefly described his plans for a class of upgradable tools known as gadgets, that will be able to apply various effects in combat. This month's update goes into further detail about that. Some of the gadgets have been split off, forming a new item hierarchy consisting of gadgets, Earth-made grenades, less sophisticated ship-made grenades, and combat stimulants. I quote:

Gadgets:

Energy Shield - generates a shield acting as cover (this way you don’t need to look for cover but can create it yourself); the shield absorbs X damage per attack until depleted, so the stats are:
- damage absorbed
- shield’s HP
- recharge rate

Reality Distortion Field – deflects projectiles, making much harder to hit you (i.e. THC penalty)
- THC penalty
- chance to deflect projectiles
- duration (number of turns)

Hologram Projector aka DnD Simulacrum aka that thing Arnold used in Total Recall – creates a copy of your character, drawing enemy’s fire. Since even today we have small plasma holograms you can interact with, it’s safe to assume that in the future this tech will be a lot more advanced so…
- # of copies
- THC penalty against the copies (distortion field around them)
- copies’ HP

Cloaking Field – makes you very hard to detect
- chance that a guard won't see you if you're in his line of sight
- defense against electronic detection systems (rank-based)
- duration

Basically, the bunker (energy shield), commando (disruption field; for characters who have strong offensive (high rate of fire, high crits, etc) as when the effect wears off if you're still surrounded by enemies, you're dead), confusion (hologram projector, works best with grenades), ninja-assassin.

Only one gadget can be active at a time but you can activate a different gadget at any time. Keep in mind that activating a gadget will drain its power cell and you’ll have to recharge it which is costly, so you won’t be able to use all gadgets in every single fight. You will be able to upgrade your gadgets by acquiring higher quality power cells, emitters, pulsers, disruptors, reflectors, etc.

Earth-made Grenades (rare; ace up your sleeve type item, save it for when you really need them like that mine fight in AoD):

- Stasis Field – holds enemies within a certain area, they can’t be harmed while in stasis so it’s a divide & conquer thing.
- Brainwave Disruptor – affects the mental state of an enemy, check against CON and INT, the effects range from doing nothing to going berserk XCOM style
- Pulse Grenade - disables all active gadgets in a certain area and does damage to droids

Ship-made Grenades (common and readily available)

- Gas grenades (poison damage per turn, negated by gas masks)
- Flashbang grenades (disorients enemies for 1 turn, PER penalties, negated by combat goggles)
- Smoke grenades (conceals, THC penalties and reduces range for firearms, great for melee fighters, negated by thermal goggles)

Combat Stimulants

- Rapid Cellular Regenerator – restores HP per turn (the only form of healing in combat)
- Motor Cortex Enhancer – same as AoD’s neurostimulant, extra AP per turn, limited duration
- Neurotransmitter – similar to AoD’s berserk
Also included in the update are a few new pieces of concept art and a user interface mockup. Looking good!

Aenra

This cannot come out soon enough.

These guys have real talent and true potential, few do these days. Looking forward to buying multiple copies. Again. And speaking of which, lol
I propose you shove more Jews into the ovens, speed up the process. 2032 seems so far away.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Concept art looks great, especially the Factory:
I4YkAcX.jpg
SaoBbDF.jpg
I propose you shove more Jews into the ovens, speed up the process.
This isn't funny.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I don't think that people like this complicated stuff anymore, VD. You should try something else, like geometric shapes.

:shittydog:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom