Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gavin Carter talks to GameZone

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Gavin Carter, the man behind the smashing hit called <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a>, has answered a few <a href=http://pc.gamezone.com/news/03_28_06_03_52PM.htm>questions</a> at <a href=http://www.gamezone.com>GameZone</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What has been the biggest thing that has been learned during the run of this series?</b>
<br>
<br>
It would be tough to single out one particular “lesson learned” over the course of the series. The Elder Scrolls series is now over 10 years old, and each game builds on the last one in numerous ways. I’d say if there’s one thing we keep getting better at it’s learning new ways to make RPGs be more entertaining than ever, particularly where minute-to-minute gameplay is concerned.
<br>
<br>
<b>Translation:</b> We were supposed to learn lessons? Damn! People should tell me these things. Anyway, the Elder Scrolls series is now over 10 years old, and each game dumbs the previous one in numerous ways. Except for Daggerfall, but that game was procedural garbage, and Bethesda doesn't do garbage anymore. Where was I? I'd say if there's one thing we keep getting better at it's learning new ways to make RPGs to be less RPGs, particularly where minute-to-minute gameplay is concerned.</blockquote>You tell them, Gavin!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Twinfalls

Erudite
Gavboy said:
We try to constrain the player onto a single path as minimally as possible. [unspoken]Except for the entire main quest. And all of the guilds.[/unspoken]

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
The biggest challenge we always face extends from our insistence on an open-ended game design. At any point, our players can decide to do pretty much anything they want, even going so far as to attack a major character or simply turn around and leave in the middle of a sequence. That sort of thing can cause headaches from time to time, but by this point we’re pretty good at anticipating what a player will try to do and putting in handling for it.

Handling like making certain NPCs unkillable, or perhaps freezing your controls so you cannot interfere with what's going on. Because we want the player to be able to do anything without conseqequence, except for things we don't want them doing. That's immersion!

Section8

Cipher
It would be tough to single out one particular “lesson learned” over the course of the series. The Elder Scrolls series is now over 10 years old, and each game builds on the last one in numerous ways. I’d say if there’s one thing we keep getting better at it’s learning new ways to make RPGs be more entertaining than ever, particularly where minute-to-minute gameplay is concerned.

I'm fucking stunned by this. I mean, I know Bethesda are fucking cunts, but this probably even outstrips Bioware for "vacuous hype in response to an honest question."

What has been the biggest thing that has been learned during the run of this series?

"That we are the fucking best! No doubt about it! We just can't stop coming up with brilliant innovations to the whole CRPG genre! It's like a divine being is placing these ideas in our head!"

A more realistic response would have been - "In terms of game design, we're actually regressing. Our learning is focused mainly upon marketing, and obviously we're doing something right, though you wouldn't pick it from our fairly incomprehensible strategies."

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
10 years of lesson-learning, and they're still no closer to fixing that shitty broken character system.

GZ said:
After the mysterious and untimely death of the Emperor...
Right, he gets snuffed by assasins at the age of 87, a truly mysterious and untimely death :)

GC said:
...by this point we’re pretty good at anticipating what a player will try to do and putting in handling for it.
Eh? If "putting in handling for it" means just excluding it from the game, then hell yeah, they've become damn good at anticipating what players will try to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom