Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Night Watch hands-on at GameSpot

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Night Watch; Nival Interactive

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/nightwatch/news.html?sid=6147623>exclusive (whatever that means) hands-on</a> <a href=http://www.nival.com/nightwatch/>Night Watch</a> dealio:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Combat, of course, is the focus of Night Watch, and it's here that the game uses many of the gameplay ideas found in Silent Storm, though the turn-based mechanics will also be familiar if you played games such as X-Com or Jagged Alliance. Each character has a limited number of action points to use per turn, and it's up to you to decide how to use them. You can move the character around the battlefield, attack, use a special power or ability, and more, so long as you have enough action points. Needless to say, the more powerful or potent the attack or ability, the more action points it takes to use, so you often have a choice of spending your points on lots of less-powerful attacks or gambling most of your points on a more-powerful attack. While there are guns and other conventional weapons in the game, they're fairly useless, because if you've seen the movie, then you know that bullets aren't much to werewolves and vampires. You'll instead rely on an arsenal of special abilities and attacks, such as knockback (knock an enemy onto his or her rear, which forces them to spend precious action points to get back up) or triple blade (hurl mystical daggers at a target). As you gain experience and level up, you'll be able to unlock more-powerful abilities and attacks. In addition, the more you use a specific power, the higher in level it becomes.</blockquote>Each of the above mentioned games: Silent Storm, X-Com, Jagged Alliance, features completely different combat mechanics and tactical depth, so mentioning them all still tells us nothing. The <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11847>early feedback</a>, however, doesn't sound very promising (aka sucks ass).
<br>
<br>
Thanks, kumquatq3
<br>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
demo blew chunks :/ I think the only thing I enjoyed was the Knockback ability.

Mentioning those games is misleading at least when it comes to the demo as there's not much of comparison with those games beyond the obvious (ie, turnbased).

LlamaGod

Cipher
Urban fantasy is a pretty bad genre to pick for a TBS strategy game.

LlamaGod

Cipher
suibhne said:
LlamaGod said:
Urban fantasy is a pretty bad genre to pick for a TBS strategy game.

Why?

Because Urban Fantasy is all about impressive magical powers exsisting within a more or less realistic world. I just think there's a wacky balance thing in trying to match up realistic guns vs. fantasy powers. The only way to really be even is to make crazy ass fake guns, but then you're kinda going more into a straight up fantasy or psuedo-cyberpunk setting.

Urban fantasy could be good for an RPG, but expect magical powers to be your main source of attack towards the end I would say.

Balor

Arcane
Well, due to the Twilight the Other hide in, it's not Tech VS Magic - they jjust exist paralelly, so to speak. Pretty much like vampires in VTM - they know that, no matter how cools personally they are, they'll get wiped out, no question, if their secret will get known.
Also, all others are more or less resistant to injury - so just shooting them with guns is not all that effective, unless you enchant the bullets first, heh.
So, it's mostly magic in that case, and the balance don't even have to exist.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Without reading the books or watching movies -- that is, the background -- it's pretty hard to like the game, for it is quite mediocre all by itself.

Hmm, I wonder, was the NIght/Day/Twilight Watch book series translated into English? The movies weren't ,that's for sure.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Nothing Russian or Polish that is totally awesome is ever translated into English. They'll translate into fucking Zulu and Chinese, but never English.

Atrokkus

Erudite
WEll, I wouldn't call the Watches totally awesome... especially the movie which is plain retarded at times, aside form the beautiful graphics and stunts... the books are pretty niuce, but not my type.

Balor

Arcane
Well, the Day Watch was the best in the series, IMHO... later the series degraded as author sunk deeper and deeper into the pit of religion... The ending of 'Last Watch' clearly shows that.
Not to mention that Day Watch was written with Vasiliev.
However, as a 'Fantasy detective' it's quite ok. I read it with pleasure, myself - if was rather disgusted by the ending.

Atrokkus

Erudite
And the movies looked like comedies to me, with a lot of references and shit like that.
I was quite impressed with the visuals, though.
Balor, how did you like the movies, in general?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Role-Player said:
there's not much of comparison with those games beyond the obvious (ie, turnbased).
Strangely enough, I think that's exactly what he was referring to. Remember, we live in times when the concept of turnbased combat is generally seen as something occult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom