Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Disco Elysium Developer Session at EGX 2019

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Disco Elysium; Helen Hindpere; Robert Kurvitz; ZA/UM

Disco Elysium has been out for three days now and by all appearances has been doing quite well for such a niche title. After many years of work, you might have expected the developers to go on vacation and disappear for a couple of weeks. Maybe they still will, but not before one more visit to the annual EGX conference in London. Today Robert Kurvitz and co-writer Helen Hindpere spoke about the game at a Rezzed Session (which I guess is like a developer session but more hip). In addition to reminiscing about Disco Elysium's development, they also discussed its skill system, the Thought Cabinet, and the game's setting and story. Apparently the Thought Cabinet was an extremely difficult concept to implement and didn't come together until the very end of development. No wonder it took them so long to publish that update about it.

During the post-discussion Q&A session, Robert reveals that he considers Disco Elysium to be just as much or even more inspired by the first Fallout than it is by Planescape: Torment. Also, it turns out the game owes its existence to a team of crackerjack Polish programmers known as the Knights of Unity. Oh Poland, what can't you do.

He says for 5 years, he didn't have a chance to go to the toilet in peace, that's how much making this game took out of him. Enjoy Disco Disco, boys, it's gonna planescape torment him (and the rest of them) just like PS:T did Avellone. Probably the rest of his career will be spent on making Estonian Alpha Protocol and companion NPCs in shittier games.

Oh Poland, what can't you do.

So far, find warpig a wife.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
He says for 5 years, he didn't have a chance to go to the toilet in peace, that's how much making this game took out of him. Enjoy Disco Disco, boys, it's gonna planescape torment him (and the rest of them) just like PS:T did Avellone. Probably the rest of his career will be spent on making Estonian Alpha Protocol and companion NPCs in shittier games.

Oh Poland, what can't you do.

So far, find warpig a wife.

There's always the option to be a Kickstarter stretch goal
...just don't promise any play-through of Arcanum

Falksi

Arcane
How to make an RPG like Disco Elysium:

1) Write a book.
2) Layer it over some graphics on a computer game.
3) Ignore interactivity or fun such as combat almost completely.
4) Market it to drones who want spoon feeding books through their eyeballs, but who have too short of an attention span to read one without clicking something in one of their hands.

Done.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
During the post-discussion Q&A session, Robert reveals that considers Disco Elysium to be just as much or even more influenced by the first Fallout than it is by Planescape: Torment.
Fake fuckin' news. This game copies Planescape's design philosophy, it's not at all like Fallout (except it's perhaps in the same vein of parody as Fallout 2 – to a degree). But I get it, you need to sell copies to buy crack and feed your pinko commune. Lie ‘bout 90 hours with savouring the details, lie ‘bout reactivity, lie ‘bout this game being in any way similar to Fallout. It’s all good, I don’t mind preying on the weak. Let’s just judge the game as it is, not as a product of marketing slogans, ‘cause otherwise, oh boi, it would be bad... for Disco Elysium.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
During the post-discussion Q&A session, Robert reveals that considers Disco Elysium to be just as much or even more influenced by the first Fallout than it is by Planescape: Torment.
Fake fuckin' news. This game copies Planescape's design philosophy, it's not at all like Fallout (except it's perhaps in the same vein of parody as Fallout 2 – to a degree). But I get it, you need to sell copies to buy crack and feed your pinko commune. Lie ‘bout 90 hours with savouring the details, lie ‘bout reactivity, lie ‘bout this game being in any way similar to Fallout. It’s all good, I don’t mind preying on the weak. Let’s just judge the game as it is, not as a product of marketing slogans, ‘cause otherwise, oh boi, it would be bad... for Disco Elysium.

Watch his explanation and decide for yourself. It's at the 42 minute mark.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Watch his explanation and decide for yourself. It's at the 42 minute mark.
I listened to the relevant part. He says that Fallout served as an inspiration 'cause of the freedom to do things in any order, to almost break the game by doin' so. This is fake fuckin' news when he compares Fallout to Disco Elysium in that respect. People who played will know what I mean.

Piotr Sobolewski

The Knights of Unity
Developer
Thanks for mentioning us, Robert! :)

It's an honor to be given a chance to help bring such an amazing creation to life. The Knights of Unity are thankful for this opportunity! :)

All the best!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom