Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium - The Final Cut releasing on March 30th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Disco Elysium; ZA/UM

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut was announced at The Game Awards back in December with a release window in March. It took them a while, but today ZA/UM announced that the exact date will be March 30th. They also reveal that in addition to the new content and full voice acting, the Final Cut update will include a mystery feature related to teleportation. Surely not fast travel? Anyway, here's the latest trailer, which offers a glimpse at some of the new additions:

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut will be available on March 30th.

We are extremely pleased to announce that the release date for Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is March 30th, 2021. That’s right, it’s almost time for the show, people. Let the countdown begin!

If you already own Disco Elysium then The Final Cut will be available to you as a free upgrade. Those who purchase the game after The Final Cut goes live will get to experience it all from their first playthrough at no extra cost.

So, where does this announcement leave us? Well, it means there are now only 13 days left until you can play the new and wonderful experience we’ve been working hard on for you all. We’ve talked about a few of the features that we’re adding but there are plenty more we haven’t even mentioned…

We won’t spoil them here, but let’s just say one new feature might have you reconsider if teleportation really is possible. On a less mysterious note, we want to give a shout out to our animator, Eduardo Rubio, who has added a ton of new animations for you all to enjoy. As we’ve said before, we also have full English voiceover, new political vision quests, and new characters for you to meet.

We know the community is eager to play Disco Elysium - The Final Cut and want to thank you all for your patience as we put it all together. It’s proven a hell of a beast to box up and get into shape, but we’re so proud of how it’s all come together and can’t wait for you to love it.

How many things can you spot that weren't in the previous trailer?

himmy

Arcane
Potential unpopular opinion, but I love this sort of Enhanced Edition / Director's Cut where a studio releases a game in a form that will please the genre's fans, and later expands that game in a way that will make it friendlier to the mainstream, with stuff like full VO and console ports. Like, you already made me happy, now go get that money, cuz!

Tim the Bore

Scholar
Potential unpopular opinion, but I love this sort of Enhanced Edition / Director's Cut where a studio releases a game in a form that will please the genre's fans, and later expands that game in a way that will make it friendlier to the mainstream, with stuff like full VO and console ports. Like, you already made me happy, now go get that money, cuz!

If the option to buy the original remains - sure, why not. But stuff like adding full VA is not necessarily a good thing. And sometimes you might end up with something like Divinity: OS Definitive Edition, which significantly changed the game for the worse. Sometimes more =/= better. So, eh, better to be sceptical about it. But as long as the developers won't start to abuse "Enhanced Editions" as a way to release unfinished beta-tests - yeah, nothing wrong with the idea itself.

jackofshadows

Magister
They promised some sort of 'classic' option aka release version which is really nice because even full VO aside, so far I'm not sure about art-style changes/addition and of course the new content integration, especially political branches advancement no mater how the devs were 'excited to add that'.

jackofshadows

Magister
What art-style changes?
Aside from bits that were revealed before I'm pretty sure that judging by the trailer, all the backdrops were revisited due to 4k support or for some other reasons. More details everywhere or so it seems. Maybe something else, too.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Disco is a weird mix. It has superb worldbuilding and style. But then you have no combat, no exploration and fake choices. It's really style over substance.

oscar

Arcane
Disco is a weird mix. It has superb worldbuilding and style. But then you have no combat, no exploration and fake choices. It's really style over substance.

I'd agree but what it did right it do so right that I think most people into the genre will get their money's worth and it proved a great leap forward (pardon the pun) for the genre's writing and maturity (i.e an intelligent game that seems to have been written by a balanced human being whose adult life wasn't wasted on twitter trying to make D&D more woke so tackles genuinely interesting and relatable themes).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What art-style changes?
Aside from bits that were revealed before I'm pretty sure that judging by the trailer, all the backdrops were revisited due to 4k support or for some other reasons. More details everywhere or so it seems. Maybe something else, too.
But I don't think those skills art changes will be in the game, since they don't appear in the announcement trailer:

x0ZfmUn.png
It probably was just a displate thing.

Maxie

I'd agree but what it did right it do so right that I think most people into the genre will get their money's worth and it proved a great leap forward (pardon the pun) for the genre's writing and maturity (i.e an intelligent game that seems to have been written by a balanced human being whose adult life wasn't wasted on twitter trying to make D&D more woke so tackles genuinely interesting and relatable themes).
The irony in your post is that the game was ostensibly written to resemble Twitter posting

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Text presentation, which is a mechanic. It has nothing to do with substance aka content aka writing.

Maxie

Text presentation, which is a mechanic. It has nothing to do with substance aka content aka writing.
clicking shit to make the program compute what happens next is a 'mechanic'
making your drivel look like twitter posts is 'formatting'
don't try your tricks with me boy, ive been murdering no truce with the furries long before you were born

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
... it proved a great leap forward [snip] for the genre's writing...

I like the setting and characters, but written text isn't so great. In video games writing needs to be optimized and to the point, not pretentious walls of text, as to not detract too much from gameplay. It's not a book.

Last edited:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
... it proved a great leap forward [snip] for the genre's writing...

I like the setting and characters, but written text isn't so great. In video games writing needs to be optimized and to the point, not pretentious walls of text, as to not detract too much from gameplay. It's not a book.

The creator (forgot his name) actually talked about how they're aware of the wall of text thing and that's why most convos are broken down into Twitter-sized chunks.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's still just reading man. There is no gameplay so I guess there's nothing to detract from. :happytrollboy:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
It's still just reading man. There is no gameplay so I guess there's nothing to detract from. :happytrollboy:
Yeah I agree actually. And given that the story always ends pretty much the same, there's no strong pull for me to "read" the game again.*
*except the worldbuilding and atmosphere of the game, I quite like it

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah I agree actually. And given that the story always ends pretty much the same, there's no strong pull for me to "read" the game again.*
*except the worldbuilding and atmosphere of the game, I quite like it
Yes but now you can get high and just listen to it :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom