Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Circle of Eight ToEE fixpack version 5 out

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil; Troika Games

The modders at <a href=http://www.co8.org>Circle of Eight</a>, the Temple of Elemental Evil fansite, have released version 5.0.0 of their fixpack, availible for download <a href=http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3543>here</a>, with release notes <a href=http://files.co8.org/docs/Circle%20of%20Eight%20Mod%20Pack%205.0.0%20-%20Release%20Notes.txt>here</a>. Here's some of that.<blockquote>What is it?
<br>
The Verbo-mod (short for “Verbobonc mod”) is an expansion to the original Temple of Elemental Evil game; it adds a new area to explore using ToEE’s already existing (and hardly used) maps. With 6 new quests, 5 new traders, 6 new monsters, and a new NPC race (sort of).
<br>
<br>
How do I get to the new content?
<br>
Access to the Verbo-mod is NOT handled on the world map, I was hoping to get the worldmap working, but was unable to hack the relevant file. Access to the new location is currently handled by dialogue, there are a limited number of visits to Verbobonc available as when you travel to Verbobonc, the NPC who gave you the option to go to Verbobonc will go with you as an NPC, and then dismiss themselves upon arrival; this means there is an ever decreasing number of visits available, so use them wisely.
<br>
<br>
What can I expect?
<br>
Intrigue, plot twists, a few surprises here and there, a shopkeeper who is extremely difficult to gain access to (but well worth the effort), I don’t want to give away any spoilers but assistance for this mod as with any mod will be available at www.co8.org</blockquote>I wonder how long before someone mods in NPC romances? Then again, I'm only halfway through the release notes...
<br>
<br>
Thanks to <b>Crichton</b> for the heads up.

Hazelnut

Erudite
What? There aren't already enough sheep in New Zealand for you Shagnak? You need a virtual one too... :shock:

:P

sheek

Arbiter
And on the secret level, an inflatable mannequin of the queen mother for the Brits. :wink:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Erm, theoretically yes - providing your game isn't the shitty download version Atari was flogging, there shouldn't be any critical problems... and providing that the file names have not been localised too...

But, you might find a lot of strange things in dialogue etc as the mod will mount English files over your Polish ones if you use the frontend, or straight out replace them if you don't use the front-end.

Worth a try in any case. I would be interested to know how it goes...

Stark

Liturgist
anyone tried this patch? is it any good? would like to know if it is worth my time reinstalling TOEE.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Stark said:
anyone tried this patch? is it any good? would like to know if it is worth my time reinstalling TOEE.

I know the patch inside out and back to front, warts and all ;)

It's good. There's enough new content to justify another play through even if you have just done a game with Co8 4.01. It's still the same old ToEE with some of the same old bugs which just can't be squashed but the game is really starting to shine now. Most of the additional content is inline with the actual original module - although if you enable Shining Ted's Desperate Housewives quest (and I'd recommend it) you also get a bit of a homage to the Ultima series as well.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I go to co8 to read up on the borderwatch mod, but no real status reports are given, how is that going Mefi? I don't know what the fuck a mesh is so a percentage done and an estamented finish date would be nice for us ignorant monkeys.

spacemoose

Erudite
At some point (in the distant past) I installed the Co8 mod and the first conversation I had with a 'new content' NPC was so horribly (grammatically) mangled, I uninstalled and never looked back. Is it any better now?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
@Roqua: The lead modder of Keep on the Borderlands has his fiancee over at the moment, so he's not posting much. As I'm not involved with the modding of Keep on the Borderlands, I don't have access to all the files and so don't really want to give info based on hearsay. Things have a habit of mutating and I don't want to get shit for getting things wildly wrong :) I can't even give a personal guesstimate because everything depends on the freetime (or lack of it) of those who are working on the module. Shiningted is the one leading the experiment and he's the one who has to make the announcements ;)

Here are some screenshots (though you've probably already seen them) which hint at the stage of development reached quite a while back:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~shiningted/gallery.html

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hamms/keep_.htm

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Spacemoose said:
At some point (in the distant past) I installed the Co8 mod and the first conversation I had with a 'new content' NPC was so horribly (grammatically) mangled, I uninstalled and never looked back. Is it any better now?

No idea to be honest as I'd need to know which mod you downloaded and which character pissed you off.

I've not noticed anything obnoxious but then I've been spending most of my time redoing dialogue files to fix quest bugs not hunting down grammatical errors.

There will be errors in grammar and spelling, of that I'm certain. Spotted one today in the floating text - been there since the game was released and no-one had noticed. :)

spacemoose

Erudite
It was the dialogue of the children (added as halfling models), I believe they were not part of the Co8 patch proper, but some mod packaged with Co8. Problem is, there was no option to exclude that mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom