Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gothic 3 review at Softpedia - 9/10

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://www.softpedia.com>Softpedia</a> has posted a very positive <a href=http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/games/pc/Gothic-3-Review-38636.shtml>review</a> of <a href=http://www.gothic3.com>Gothic 3</a>, giving it 9/10 and promising that players will be "pleasantly impressed" with the game.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The world in Gothic 3 is as real as possible. NPCs, animals and monsters sleep at night and pretty much have a life of their own – they talk to one another, panic when you take out your weapon or go to a restricted area, work (slaves especially and merchants occasionally), eat, drink (there’s a lot of drinking involved in the lands of Mytrana) and all of them have important info on the recent events or desperately need your help (you wanted tons of quests, you got it).
<br>
<br>
At times it may seem that the game is a little too realistic as certain quests you get are rather ambiguous and you are not really sure of what you’re supposed to do (like the find Xardas quest – where do I look, who do I need to talk to, is it OK to ask just anybody). This kind of quests tends to unravel themselves once you progress through the story, so the main thing about the game is to be a little patient (more or less whether your goal is to enjoy a few jobs well done for the community or untie the secrets of the events). You’ll also need the patience skill for running around all over the map as the teleporter stones can only take you to main settlements and they can only be found in the vicinity of the given city (be sure to search every corner as each settlement has it’s own teleporter stone and they are usually unique items).
<br>
<br>
You wonder what the atmosphere is like in the game. Huge! Majestic landscapes accompany your every step and when you see how slowly you seem to move on the world map (better be on the lookout to get one, else you’ll only benefit of general impressions about the cities in the world but no way to see your current position) you realize how big the realm is. The story also reveals to you few local maps (example a map of a few northern caves) and several notes/letters.</blockquote>That's definitely one of the game's strongest areas.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Hazelnut (better late than never, eh?)

RiK

Novice
Tried the game today and, bugs and technical glitches aside, i'm really enjoying it. The world feels alive and that's something every rpg aspires to achieve.
As you've all heard, combat is really difficult to master but i guess it can be done...

I was so deep in to it i forgot to save my progress. Met the rebels in their camp and, as i tried to "help" a guy cut a chopped tree to pieces i accidentally hit him. All the guys came and knocked me out, taking my gold with them. Then I went away into the woods to find myself butchered by a wolf the moment after i stuck an arrow through an elk's heart. Shit, man! NO SAVE?!

Guess i'll restart it and practice the damn fighting until i'm good enough to take on a dog.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Meh. I think VD has a point with some of the other Reiviews.

there is a review, and then there is a Rant that tries to be critical and/or Cynical.

Have you heard of the fabled "Worst Oblivion Review?" Had the whole forum, even the critcs, laughing their asses off the while time.

WittyName

Scholar
Fairly in-depth review but he just glossed over the problems with bugs and choppy play in a throw-away sentence at the end. Maybe he is right and patches will eventually fix the more annoying ones; however, I still find the combat system rather poor.

Good review. Maybe 9 is too much for an unfinished game, but 1) Gothic 3 is great, even with its bugs and performance problems and 2) Oblivion wasn't better and has everywhere 9 or more.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
He is at the very least stating the whole picture not focusing on the negatives and "glossing over" the positives. It is truly a good game and great at times. There are those moments when you want to take a flight to Germany get a few of those heavy but tasty German beers in you and then hunt down the guys from PB... but those moments of insanity can be over-looked if you just set the game aside load up NWN2 play it until the party member AI gets fruity and you suddenly get an urge to fly to Canada drink some Moosehead and hunt down a few people from Obsidian. :wink:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That's right. Got to Kanada all you want. You won't find any Obsidianites there. Moron.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
What a fool. They're an Amerikan company. Californian to be exact. Dumbass. despite working on two sequels to BIO games, they are not the same company. Idiot.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The same way you coan chastize me for doing so. :D

At least me spelling it 'wrong' was actually intentional.

P.S. Don't come back with a lame, 'i did it purposefully'.

LOL :lol:

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
It was all a joke and it seems you'll stop at nothing to post more of your bullshit. Not that we needed this to proves it. I realize who they are and where Biowares is locate and even though I had no idea where (and don't really give a shit) Obsidian is located I know you must spend more time posting retarded comments than actually playing games. So if you are playing all these games yet have time to post thousands of comments (most of which are senseless rants) that must mean you are not employed. Are you a shut-in living off my tax dollars or a loud mouth punk ass bitch living with Mommy & Daddy? Not that it really matters since either way you are the biggest announce I have had the misfortune of running into on the net in quite some time. Cheers to you for being such a huge festering retched anus. :roll:

Finally, another positive review for Gothic 3. I hope they (PB) patch it up soon so I can fire it up again. It stills feels unfinished for my taste, but there is an awesome kick-ass Action RPG, hopefully, when it's all patched up.

Paranoid Jack, if you are actually insulted by Volourn, you ARE a moron. Volley, though silly and ignorant, knows his shit and he knows it well. If you don't have the ability to take him with a grain of salt or actually benefit from his awkward/intelligent ramblings, I suggest you stop posting.

EDIT: Is it me or is the Codex getting too soft these days?

elander_

Arbiter
Im going to buy this game original. For some reason its being sold by 40E and games like Dark Messia are being sold by 50E. The game is also in a very limited space dedicated to recent titles contrasting with the big pile of NWN2 boxes and their evil aligned and good aligned collecters edition boxes, but who gives a shit. G3 owns NWN2 completely.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Obsidian is located I know you must spend more time posting retarded comments than actually playing games. So if you are playing all these games yet have time to post thousands of comments (most of which are senseless rants) that must mean you are not employed. Are you a shut-in living off my tax dollars or a loud mouth punk ass bitch living with Mommy & Daddy? Not that it really matters since either way you are the biggest announce I have had the misfortune of running into on the net in quite some time. Cheers to you for being such a huge festering retched anus."

I love you.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Obsidian is located I know you must spend more time posting retarded comments than actually playing games. So if you are playing all these games yet have time to post thousands of comments (most of which are senseless rants) that must mean you are not employed. Are you a shut-in living off my tax dollars or a loud mouth punk ass bitch living with Mommy & Daddy? Not that it really matters since either way you are the biggest announce I have had the misfortune of running into on the net in quite some time. Cheers to you for being such a huge festering retched anus."

I love you.

That was supposed to be "annoyance" but I misspelled it, forgive me.

The_Nameless_Prick said:
Paranoid Jack, if you are actually insulted by Volourn, you ARE a moron. Volley, though silly and ignorant, knows his shit and he knows it well. If you don't have the ability to take him with a grain of salt or actually benefit from his awkward/intelligent ramblings, I suggest you stop posting.

EDIT: Is it me or is the Codex getting too soft these days?

Did I say I was insulted? How or why would a few words on a computer screen insult me? Now you "ARE" being a moron. Not to mention "silly and ignorant" and "knows his shit" have always been opposites to me. Maybe it is possible for them to co-exist I'm just not seeing it in this case.

Grain of salt! Shit you would have to swallow a handful of salt... unless he is actually being coherent and attempting to make a constructive post it is all unintelligent gibberish, R00fles!

That is why I guessed he may be an adolescent sitting at home spamming the sites to drive up his numbers... of course it may be he is just that bored and/or just lives a very sad life. Which leaves him little more to do than troll the sites and post anything and everything in the hopes of causing some drama in his real-life. Just a guess. Either way I don't really give a shit. Just read some recent posts from others who frequent the site and seem to be less than entertained by his spam, just like me. So I thought I would make my feelings known. No harm right? After all this is the Internet... no better a place to speak your mind.

Carry on. I will now go back to skipping over his posts when they appear to be typed in a language other than English.

Let us all try to play a game for no other reason than to just have fun. After all that is why most of us have this hobby. Cheers and have a Happy Holidays!

Edit: A few misspelled words but still ten times better than an average post here. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"That is why I guessed he may be an adolescent sitting at home spamming the sites to drive up his numbers... of course it may be he is just that bored and/or just lives a very sad life. Which leaves him little more to do than troll the sites and post anything and everything in the hopes of causing some drama in his real-life. Just a guess. Either way I don't really give a shit. Just read some recent posts from others who frequent the site and seem to be less than entertained by his spam, just like me. So I thought I would make my feelings know. No harm right? After all this is the Internet... not better a place to speak your mind."

I love you still.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Spacemoose said:
...in a world full of lying liars that tell lies, one man stands for truth and the bottom line

this summer

from the suburbs of Canada

"The Roofler"

starring Volourn Honorblade

PERIOD, and thats a fact

this film has not been rated

Paranoid Jack said:
Not to mention "silly and ignorant" and "knows his shit" have always been opposites to me. Maybe it is possible for them to co-exist I'm just not seeing it in this case.

*sigh* Somehow, he does pull it off. Through all his bullshit, if you look hard enough, he actually does have a brain. MOST people only look at his bullshit though and cry about him being so mean and "I want an IGNORE option*CRY*CRY*CRY*". Maybe he WILL stop someday if people wouldn't feed him defensive bullshit constantly. I wish peolpe would stop being so superficial, especially on the Codex.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Paranoid Jack said:
Not to mention "silly and ignorant" and "knows his shit" have always been opposites to me. Maybe it is possible for them to co-exist I'm just not seeing it in this case.

*sigh* Somehow, he does pull it off. Through all his bullshit, if you look hard enough, he actually does have a brain. MOST people only look at his bullshit though and cry about him being so mean and "I want an IGNORE option*CRY*CRY*CRY*". Maybe he WILL stop someday if people wouldn't feed him defensive bullshit constantly. I wish peolpe would stop being so superficial, especially on the Codex.

I see this as the equivalent of a day care worker or kinder garden teacher telling little Johnny to stop sticking his finger up his nose. Bad behavior is not something you should tolerate just because somebody has half a brain and can make a decent post on occasion. I understand your view and respect it as you're opinion. But I would like to point out that little Johnny has stopped sticking his finger up his nose and is starting to play nice again. He actually made several normal posts in other threads. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom