Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bioware interview at CVG

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

<a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>CVG</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=155828>interview</a> with <a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a>'s good doctors.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What for you was the highlight of the videogame world last year, and which title released in 2006 would you say most pushed videogame boundaries?</b>
<br>
<br>
Ray Muzyka: Focusing on PC games (since that's the focus of this story!) there were a number of solid titles last past year - Company of Heroes, Oblivion, Medieval 2, Half-Life 2 Episode One, Neverwinter Nights 2, Prey, Gothic 3 (Gothic 3 is my current PC addiction - it's quite good and definitely worth checking out, a few minor issues aside)...</blockquote>I would be curious to know in what ways those boundaries were pushed. More sales? More hype? Better visuals?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

There have been a lot of innovations in the PC space in online games - World of Warcraft and other MMOs continue to expand the business and we're excited about joining that world ourselves with the upcoming title we're developing down with our great team at BioWare Austin - and digital distribution and episodic content (we have big plans afoot at BioWare for post-release and episodic content for upcoming cool BioWare games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire: Special Edition and other upcoming BioWare titles, both on console and PC).

Hooray.

Texas Red

Whiner
You know, one thing about MMORPGs is good is that a single MMO has an almost complete monopoly on its genre. WoW is dominating everything and leaving no room for other MMOs. So all of those unknown countless companies who wanted to get on the money train failed with their MMO projects.

What Im getting is that I hope that Biowhore would get a huge loss with their MMOG. Hopefully WoW would be still strong with their monopoly and give that Biowhore multiplayer game no chance. Or perhaps something else released before Bioware's game that will take over the lead from WoW.

Basically, I want to see Bethesda or Bioware getting pwnded away due to their greed.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote><b>What for you was the highlight of the videogame world last year, and which title released in 2006 would you say most pushed videogame boundaries?</b>

Ray Muzyka: Focusing on PC games (since that's the focus of this story!) there were a number of solid titles last past year - Company of Heroes, Oblivion, Medieval 2, Half-Life 2 Episode One, Neverwinter Nights 2, Prey, Gothic 3 (Gothic 3 is my current PC addiction - it's quite good and definitely worth checking out, a few minor issues aside)...</blockquote>I would be curious to know in what ways those boundaries were pushed. More sales? More hype? Better visuals?
I think he might be referring to the first part of the question: "What for you was the highlight of the videogame world last year". He calls them solid titles and later on in the interview refers to some console games as pushing boundaries. I know you know that VD. Trying to spin the interview to find your sensationalism?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
dojoteef said:
Vault Dweller said:

I think he might be referring to the first part of the question: "What for you was the highlight of the videogame world last year". He calls them solid titles and later on in the interview refers to some console games as pushing boundaries. I know you know that VD. Trying to spin the interview to find your sensationalism?
I made a comment about a simple answer to a simple question, without trying to guess what he meant, implied, or probably wanted to say, or would have said if he was drunk. You, on the other hand, are doing just that by guessing what he "MIGHT" be referring to. You could be right, of course, but you are only guessing.

elander_

Arbiter
" There have been a lot of innovations in the PC space in online games - World of Warcraft and other MMOs continue to expand the business and we're excited about joining that world ourselves with the upcoming title we're developing down with our great team at BioWare Austin"

So ... more elves? I can't wait. :roll:

bylam

Funcom
Developer
The Walkin' Dude said:
You know, one thing about MMORPGs is good is that a single MMO has an almost complete monopoly on its genre. WoW is dominating everything and leaving no room for other MMOs. So all of those unknown countless companies who wanted to get on the money train failed with their MMO projects.

What Im getting is that I hope that Biowhore would get a huge loss with their MMOG. Hopefully WoW would be still strong with their monopoly and give that Biowhore multiplayer game no chance. Or perhaps something else released before Bioware's game that will take over the lead from WoW.

Basically, I want to see Bethesda or Bioware getting pwnded away due to their greed.

Say what you will about Bioware they push out quality product. Good controls, good graphics and usually good fun (not always with good marketing though). I'm sure they aren't entering the MMO space based on the success of WOW, but rather because they feel they have something to offer that WOW doesn't.

Edit: Oh yeah and Blizzard is like satan compared to Bioware and even Bethesda

Ivy Mike

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:

I'm by no means a Bethesda or Bioware apologist, but how the hell would such a situation in the market be something good? And greed? I'm guessing Blizzard releases games for charity's sake then.

Texas Red

Whiner
Ivy Mike said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

I'm by no means a Bethesda or Bioware apologist, but how the hell would such a situation in the market be something good? And greed? I'm guessing Blizzard releases games for charity's sake then.

It is good because Im hoping that if several different major developers would start releasing their cash-cow MMOGs, then only one of them would become truly popular and profitable, while others causing loss.

And I didnt say that Blizzard made games for charity's sake. Actually, I dont give a shit about that company.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So all of those unknown countless companies who wanted to get on the money train failed with their MMO projects."

Are you an idiot? A MMORPG doesn't need WOW type numbers to be successful. Many MMORPGs are very successful as it is. For example, EQ2 is a very successful MMORPG with quite a few expansions already yet it has nowhere near the numbers taht WOW has. Even that stupid D&D MMORPG is making decent money despite it, IIRC, not even having a million subscribers.

I doubt BIO truly expects their MMORPG to sell in WOW like numbers. Are you an idiot? You know nothing about economics.

btw, The whole industry is about greed icnlduing FANS LIKE YOU. That's right. Fans are the greediest of the bunch. Scumbags - wanting games they want to play damning everyone else to gaming hell. L0LLERZ!

And, VD, sush. The silly doctors even praised your beloved G3. You should be proud. :D

sheek

Arbiter
Bioware praising Gothic 3 - that gives us all we need to know about both games...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BIO is smart. G3 is an ok game that coulda have been better with some more logical design and less bug problems.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
BIO is smart. G3 is an ok game that coulda have been better with some more logical design and less bug problems.

In some ways I think G3 is a game designer's game - it's interesting at least partly for its design and the ways in which it's genuinely different from everything else on the market. If you're playing it with an eye to the design, it's difficult not to think about not only how G3 might be "fixed", but also how the rest of the market could learn from G3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom