Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Our Feargus Urquhart interview

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

We've managed to sit down with Feargus Urquhart of Obsidian Entertainment and <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=144>ask him some questions</a> about the company in general - running a business, getting licenses, reaction to games and so on. Here's his take on Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords:<blockquote><b>4) The Sith Lords had a considerable amount of cut content, which caused much discussion in the community and the creation of fan projects with the intent of restoring the game. While the publisher had its share of blame, do you feel part of the issue may have been a lack of management focus?</b>
<br>
<br>
I'm pretty good and taking the responsibility for things that happen on our games and I could, of course, say that there were things that we could have done to get more content in the game. But, that's always the case. Every game I have ever made has had content cut during its production. This happens for a ton of reasons. Often it is because we just planned for too much up front, which is partly what happened with KotOR2 and we had to ship before we were able to really polish the end of the game. I am still very proud of what we did with KotOR2 and I feel the excitement over the end of the game being "castrated", as I've heard people say, is a little harsh and melodramatic. Particularly when that is followed with comments about the second and third time that person played through the game. Having said that, I'm not excusing anything or sweeping anything under the rug. I want more for every game we make, and I feel we can always do better job at it.</blockquote>We're vocal about a lot of things but Feargus is a cool guy who's willing to chat, so here's your chance to learn a bit more about the man and the company.
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why does everyone have this bullshit notion that Obsidian has the IWD license? Thnankfully, hopefull, this interview will be that bullcrap to rest. Obsidian has owneership of certain IWD artwork, IIRC. My god.

Anyways, for the most part, that a was fluff piece. It';s funny... you were kind aahrsh on both KOTOR2 and NWN2 yet your questions about them in that interview were nice-nice.

Still, solid interview overall.. of course, you had to sneka lameo Oblivion stuff in there. Ugh. Heh.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
Why does everyone have this bullshit notion that Obsidian has the IWD license? Thnankfully, hopefull, this interview will be that bullcrap to rest. Obsidian has owneership of certain IWD artwork, IIRC. My god.

The bullshit notion was because I read some statements by Feargus that lead me to believe they had it. What they actually seemed to have were things like art assets and the like. I didn't do my homework as well as I should've and I'll do my best to avoid that kind of situation in the future.

Anyways, for the most part, that a was fluff piece. It';s funny... you were kind aahrsh on both KOTOR2 and NWN2 yet your questions about them in that interview were nice-nice.

I forgot to don my Cap of Rabidness +3.

Still, solid interview overall.. of course, you had to sneka lameo Oblivion stuff in there. Ugh. Heh.

The only reason for this was because of the controversial 1UP review where the reviewer kept lambasting NWN2 for being "old school", and promoting Oblivion as some sort of design template all CRPGs should adhere to. I really wanted to know how F. felt about the issue. Nothing to do with Oblivion hate or somesuch.

elander_

Arbiter
"Anyways, for the most part, that a was fluff piece. It';s funny... you were kind aahrsh on both KOTOR2 and NWN2 yet your questions about them in that interview were nice-nice. "

Yeah those questions were very nice-nice.

"14) For better or worse, Oblivion seems to have set the bar for modern computer role-playing games. Meanwhile, others see Neverwinter Nights 2 a throwback to an older era of CRPGs which they believe developers should move away from. What are your feelings on this? "

Here's how you should have done it:

"14) Oblivion sucks and it seems to have set the bar for modern computer role-playing games. Meanwhile, Neverwinter Nights 2 sucks too and it plays like a dumbfucked version of Baldurs Gate which players believe developers should move away from. What are your feelings on this moron? R00fles"

cutterjohn

Cipher
Hey! He wimped out on answering #16 wrt Bethesda attempting to create Fallout 3. (It's going to be Oblivioous with guns, and you know it. Look at the latest Petey commentary.)

Dopey

Novice
Role-Player said:
We're vocal about a lot of things but Feargus is a cool guy who's willing to chat, so here's your chance to learn a bit more about the man and the company.

Is he now ?

I thought Mrs. Feargus forgot to take a look at the mirror, before he went huffing and buffing on the series of tubes how he likes fisting people. He does, after all, make dw look a like Twiggy.

Thanks for the interview.

Feargus Urquhart

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Nice...

I always try to huff and puff while I'm fisting . I think it's the only way to really get that extra push in at the end.

Briosafreak

Augur
muttley.gif

Fez

Erudite
Win! I didn't see that one coming. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom