Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview NWN2: MotB interview at GameBanshee

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com>GameBanshee</a> has scored an <a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/maskofthebetrayer1.php>interview</a> with <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com/>Obsidian</a>'s Kevin Saunders, the lead designer of the NWN2 expansion. Here is an overview:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We’re implementing some expansion-specific gameplay elements that will make Mask of the Betrayer stand out from Obsidian’s previous titles and other D&D computer role-playing games. As one example, the passage of time will have important impacts on gameplay. Mask of the Betrayer will also feature major enhancements to the companion Influence System that Obsidian has pioneered through Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights 2. Of course, these new elements will be things that the community can modify to their own modules and campaigns if they wish.
<br>
<br>
Mask of the Betrayer begins almost immediately after the ending of NWN2. You will play your same character (if you wish), continuing his or her story. (Your weapons and gold are gone, but you’ll have many of your other equipped items still.)
<br>
<br>
We are adding new prestige classes (and a base class) and new sub-races. ... One of the prestige classes is completely new and was designed through consultation with our colleagues at Wizards of the Coast. As far as the leveling goes, [the expansion] will feature epic levels through level 30.
<br>
<br>
We are adding dozens of new spells and feats. The spells range from some heavy hitters like burst of glacial wrath to great utility spells like the vigor healing spells from Spell Compendium. For feats, we are strongly emphasizing the ones tailored to epic level gameplay. These will include almost all of the epic feats from Hordes of the Underdark plus many new ones we’ve designed with guidance from Wizards of the Coast.
<br>
<br>
We’re making crafting easier for the player by simplifying the new recipes and having the component items themselves better explain their purposes. Also as an added convenience, you’ll also be able to enchant items without needing a workbench handy, which should make things easier for players who enjoy crafting. Overall, we've worked hard on making the process of enchanting items more intuitive. </blockquote>The crafting system is still too complicated. I'm sure that many people who enjoy crafting would still have difficulties figuring out how to craft things. I suggest a nice, intuitive pop-up system: "Wanna craft ubar sword now? kthxbye/no".
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Serch.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Koby

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
The crafting system is still too complicated. I'm sure that many people who enjoy crafting would still have difficulties figuring out how to craft things.

Let it be known that I am a RPG master craftsman, there is not, nor be a crafting system that is beyond my capability!

I am troubled by your suggestions that a system like that can come to be, and I ask, no, DEMAND that you cease and desist immediately such pompous assumption for the greater good.

Oh and Kevin, bring it on.

Zomg

Arbiter
The crafting system in NWN2 had the quality of a precocious teenager's mod. If easier means professional then I guess it's a good thing. Otherwise I'm still waiting for someone to say that the combat in NWN2 was a tragic mistake before I ask for another helping.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Vault Dweller said:
As far as the leveling goes, [the expansion] will feature epic levels through level 30.
Looks like old days of BG 1 when you had to play throught entire game to reach level 7 are gone forever...

Texas Red

Whiner
Hamster said:
Vault Dweller said:
As far as the leveling goes, [the expansion] will feature epic levels through level 30.
Looks like old days of BG 1 when you had to play throught entire game to reach level 7 are gone forever...

Its sort of universally accepted that low level adventures are more fun. Heaven knows why they are throwing this epic stuff at us when they could have made major improvements to everything that already exists. Add missing abilities to classes, fix the prestige classes, feats, spells etc.

Although I am waiting forward to the expansions I cant shake of the feeling that it will be of low quality. So soon and some unknown guy as a lead designer instead of teh old skool developers who are no doubt working around the problems of how to dumb down their Alien game so it would fit for the consoles.

Seems like an Atari scan to get more cash with this epic shit on holidays.

MountainWest

Scholar
Hamster said:

You forget that the fun-fun-FUN with RPGs is that feeling of "just one more level", as described in every favorable RPG-review ever.

Surgey

Scholar
Eh. I don't care much about the epic level thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing an expansion where you play a new character starting at around level 1.

AlanC9

Liturgist
The Walkin' Dude said:
Its sort of universally accepted that low level adventures are more fun. Heaven knows why they are throwing this epic stuff at us when they could have made major improvements to everything that already exists. Add missing abilities to classes, fix the prestige classes, feats, spells etc.

Universally accepted? I don't think so. There are a lot of fools on the NWN2 forums who really, really like epic levels. Maybe 1/3 of the population, from what I can tell.

And epics are a better selling point for an expansion than "doing the stuff from the first game right."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom