Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil previewed by GameSpot PC

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> has posted a nifty <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/greyhawkthetempleofee/preview_6071847.html">preview</a> of <a href="http://greyhawkgame.com/">ToEE</a> which contains GameSpot's impressions of a beta build of the game. The preview is complemented by lots of sexy screens that show off some new portraits and the game's interface.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The preview version we played seemed to include a good variety of creatures to fight, including giant frogs, which emerge from nearby boggy water with a splash. These aren't ordinary frogs--they have a nicely animated tongue attack that can incapacitate one of your characters, and they can even swallow a character whole. We also encountered a range of more-ordinary threats, like large rats and lizards, zombies, bugbears, and an unsavory group of human guards that serve the priest Lareth. These low-level opponents gave us an idea of the game's combat, but McCarthy showed us some of the more impressive creatures later in the game, such as air and earth elementals, an abyssal vrock, and a balor demon. These powerful creatures show off the game engine's good-looking particle-based effects, which are used for glowing spell effects and for swirls of fire and smoke.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I still think that Balor will destroy the party.

triCritical

Erudite
chrisbeddoes said:
http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/board/message?board.id=589356&message.id=1

Ericm
Level 1
New GSComplete User
I've got mixed feelings... it looks and sounds cool, but the upper limit of level 10 for characters is somewhat disappointing, especially being used to the great flexibility afforded by NWN.

Hmmm.Must drink Aribeth blood.

NWN had great flexibility? You know since when does flexibily coincide with level limits? I thought NWN had little to no flexibility given its extreme linearity. Oh well not everyones smart.

Spazmo

Erudite
All right, I've had enough of that. I hate to be in agreement with Volourn, but will you please stop dragging NWN into every discussion we have here? Yes, it's a horribly mediocre game and yes it deserves to be bashed, but there are other things to talk about! So for the love of God, stop lamenting NWN's badness and start rejoicing in ToEE's goodness! Look at those screens and the coolness! Look at the Troika Fat Cam! Just stare at a picture of Tim Cain's smiling face for a few hours! You'll be a lot happier afterwards.

Leg of Lamb

Novice
Sometimes I wonder...

Just out of curiosity, why do you guys still even bother to report news about NWN? I mean, this is a site dedicated to a certain breed of rpgs. It's not like you report about Dark Age of Camelot or the Sims... it seems like every other news post runs something along the lines of, "Somebody reviewed the NWN expansion and thought it was good, I will now make a smarmy comment about Bioware."

For compairison, envision a Radiohead fansite that constantly reports about Britney Spears.

Me, I like to pretend that NWN doesn't exist. Let me tell you, I sleep well at night.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I never asked anyone to stop dragging NWN into the discussion. Doesn't hurt me either way.

Haven't quite figured out about the news postings myself. I remember a while back it seemed like 4 out of 5 news posts were about Harbinger, which was widely regarded as not even being worth the time spent to install it. Kinda made me scratch my head. The SoU news could probably stand to be scaled back, too, since I don't think many here ever plan to get it.

As far as the thread hijackings, you know, it's kind of like if you visited an ACLU site, you shouldn't be that surprised to find a recurrent "John Ashcroft sucks" theme. People just like to gripe about things they loathe, it makes them feel good. Plus, what else are people going to talk about? Only so much you can say about Divine Divinity. Maybe things will change once ToEE comes out.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Speaking of things we loathe and while we're at it, there were an awful lot of "Pirates of the Carribbean" news topics a while back. I suppose it goes in phases though. If a new game gets released and a whole bunch of sites are talking about it, it's good to know who says what. Gives you more perspective on things, rather than just one or two reviews, you can find what the 5 or 6 major sites say, as well as a few others that might have posted an interesting review.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Spazmo said:
All right, I've had enough of that. I hate to be in agreement with Volourn, but will you please stop dragging NWN into every discussion we have here? Yes, it's a horribly mediocre game and yes it deserves to be bashed, but there are other things to talk about! So for the love of God, stop lamenting NWN's badness and start rejoicing in ToEE's goodness! Look at those screens and the coolness! Look at the Troika Fat Cam! Just stare at a picture of Tim Cain's smiling face for a few hours! You'll be a lot happier afterwards.

Ok . I hijacked this thread and since people object to this i will try to NOT do this in the future.

As for TOEE well TOEE is not the underdog here.

My estimation.

a) The first game with 3.5 D&D rules about 300 K units shipped because of that .
b) The best 2 D graphicks that any game has ever had at the moment
another 200 K units shipped
c) Hardcore goodness 100 K units shipped
d) The makers of Fallout 1 Another 50 K units shipped

Total

650 K units shipped.

Because of quality + good word of mouth about 600 K units will sell.

If Troika gets $10 for every game sold .

6 millions .

So excuse me for not seeing a need to go in forums and say how uber this game is .

The only option for this game not to generate 600 K sales is for the publisher not to care .

But the publisher will care because .

It is their prime intellectual assets reputation that it is at risk .
3.5 D&D rules and a well established module .

So the publisher will care .

It is not like the setting is something that is of no intereset as an asset to the publishers.

Spazmo

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Speaking of things we loathe and while we're at it, there were an awful lot of "Pirates of the Carribbean" news topics a while back. I suppose it goes in phases though. If a new game gets released and a whole bunch of sites are talking about it, it's good to know who says what. Gives you more perspective on things, rather than just one or two reviews, you can find what the 5 or 6 major sites say, as well as a few others that might have posted an interesting review.

Precisely. That's how things work around here. As for why we report on stuff like Harbinger and NWN, well, these games call themselves RPGs (we do action RPGs, too, incidentally), so they get coverage. If a game rocks, we're going to let you know. If a game sucks, you can bet we're going to let you know. That's our job.

[quoet="Lemon"]http://pc.ign.com/articles/429/429307p1.html

another ToEE preview[/quote]

Thanks for that!

/me scurries off to make another newspost

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
Spazmo said:

Well there is only so many games to talk about.

we could always talk about various game mechanics, but that usually boil down to the conservative types "imaginary dwarves can't be imaginary spellcasters in an imaginary world" versus the liberal types "imaginary dwarves can be anything in an imaginary world".

Maybe there should be a drop down list for topic type beneath the subject heading, something like

topic type:
>general Bioware bashing
>Troika suckling
>Fallout Lauding
>NWN dumping

to give a person some idea which way the thread is going to spin...:)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom