Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avencast interview at RPG Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Avencast

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has posted an <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/793/793376p1.html>interview</a> with <a href=http://www.avencast.com/>Avencast</a> (an indie action RPG) developers. Here is an overview:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What core strengths will differentiate Avencast from other games that might seem similar in terms of their play? What kind of individual will find it most appealing?</b>
<br>
<br>
Minh Tri Do Dinh: What differentiates Avencast most from other games would be the combat and general style of action, which draw heavy inspiration from beat 'em ups, shooters and the like, rather than classical RPGs.</blockquote>When designing an RPG, one must resist temptation to draw inspiration from other RPGs and must, instead, draw inspiration from shooters and arcade games.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>That philosophy of keeping things dynamic is also reflected in the fact that Avencast is a fairly straightforward game. We want to make sure people can just jump in and enjoy it as much as possible, without worrying too much about endless rules and choices.</blockquote>When designing an RPG, it's important to keep in mind that people want to play only shooters and, thus, your game must match shooters' gameplay as closely as possible. Endless rules and choices do not an RPG make.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Since you've made a number of references to the type of combat experience you're aiming to offer, what are the significant features and elements you'd like us to know about? </b>
<br>
<br>
Minh Tri Do Dinh: You could say that combat is the heart and soul of Avencast. While there are plenty of varied quests to keep you challenged and captivated, you will definitely spend a lot of your time fighting. The combat system itself was born out of the observation that a lot of RPGs are, in a way, very reliant on numbers and statistics.
<br>
<br>
The point is that for us, other RPG combat systems sometimes felt like math, not magic, and putting the fate of your fabled hero into the hands of a dice-rolling calculator wasn't appealing enough. What we want to do is put the reins of the character right into the hands of the player. This is where our inspiration from all those action games came in.</blockquote>When designing an RPG, one must ensure that gameplay is not "numbers-based", as it can only lead to disappointments when someone's character fails a roll. Make games for players, not their characters!
<br>

stargelman

Scholar
Well, at least they're honest. You can look at the screenshots or read a few of the words from that interview and know in an instant it's going to suck so massively you'll never even want to hear another word about it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can tell from the screens that it's another Diablo clone.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At least the combat seems to be better than Diablo.
The rest is just like any other Dialbo clone.

At least he's honest in what kind of game he's making.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Yeah, we want more great rpgs like Stalker, Bioshock, and Thief, not this action garbage.

Red Russian

Scholar
When did you get dumbfucked? The reddish text above your'e avatar caught my eye just now...

MisterStone

Arcane
Fuck yeah... I don't want any numbers 'n shit. I just want to jump into that sweet action-packed gameplay! Oh yeah, and inventory screens suck ass. Just let me walk over the powerups. Fucking nerd games.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Red Russian said:
When did you get dumbfucked? The reddish text above your'e avatar caught my eye just now...

Sometime between yesterday and today, I'm not sure exactly, but its nice to finally get the recognition I deserve.

mister lamat

Scholar
pissing on people's work in your newspost is how you turn this site into an 'indie hub'? keen idea, hoss.

Vault Dweller

Developer
mister lamat said:
pissing on people work in your newspost is how you turn this site into an 'indie hub'? keen idea, hoss.
Do you expect me to praise every indie game and overlook flaws just because it's an indie game? Should I also start covering those indie "console RPGs", courtesy of RPGMaker?

Anyway, we have several interesting (hopefully) "indie" articles coming.

mister lamat

Scholar
hmm... piss on a game you haven't played simply because it has 'flaws', which are simply design choices you don't agree with? you seethe with angst and rancor.

i'm really looking forward to the articles about games that feature mid-nineties tech and juvenile stories!

Fez

Erudite
I thought everyone expected indie games to be treated the same as other games? Would people expect VD to hide flaws and his opinion because it wasn't Bioware who made it?

Texas Red

Whiner
Are the people who actually like these ARPG hiding somewhere? Are they extremely reclusive and only rarely post on forums? Why is everyone making Diablo clones?!

Globbi

Augur
The Walkin' Dude said:
Are the people who actually like these ARPG hiding somewhere? Are they extremely reclusive and only rarely post on forums? Why is everyone making Diablo clones?!

Well, I think there is a reason why we don't hear about all those game after their relese.
Why are they being made? What's easier: to write a good story and dialogues or make a clone of popular slashing game?

Jason

chasing a bee
Why are they being made? What's easier: to write a good story and dialogues or make a clone of popular slashing game?
They're being made because action RPGs are more popular than more traditional RPGs. More people buying them = more people making them.

franc kaos

Liturgist
In the magic kingdom of Aldgarth, demons tore up a dimension portal and invaded your academy...
Now a forgotten demon army is about to descend on your world...
Descend into the depths of a sunken civilisation....
Fight the mighty Demon Marshal Morgath, forged from the crystals of the Gods...
Why does that sound familiar (and will they actually invade)?

Will the soft shadows be removed at the eleventh hour?

Vault Dweller

Developer
mister lamat said:
hmm... piss on a game you haven't played...
Not the "u haevn't playd this gaem!" argument again.

... simply because it has 'flaws', which are simply design choices you don't agree with?
What choices are you talking about? Trying to remove as many RPG elements as possible from an RPG?

i'm really looking forward to the articles about games that feature mid-nineties tech...
You've got me here. Tech is definitely the most important aspect in an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom