Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Nethergate has been resurrected

Fez

Erudite
Tags: Jeff Vogel; Nethergate: Resurrection; Spiderweb Software

Spiderweb Software have released their latest RPG title <a target=_blank href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/nethergateres/index.html>Nethergate: Resurrection</a> on the Mac and have a demo available to download. It is a remake of Nethergate that they promise is a "ground-up rewrite" that not only updates the engine, GUI and graphics, but brings new quests, dungeons and items to interest players of the original or those who missed out on it first time round.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Nethergate: Resurrection is a huge, exciting, fantasy role-playing game, which features:
<br>
<br>
<ul>
<br>
<li>Two different sides, the powerful Romans and the savage and cunning Celts. Each side has a completely different full-length adventure.</li>
<br>
<li>Enormous game world, with dozens of dungeons and many characters and quests.</li>
<br>
<li>Fascinating storyline. Fight for freedom, or further the glory of the Empire.</li>
<br>
<li>Lost secrets of magic! Dozens of spells and hundreds of hidden magical artifacts.</li>
<br>
<li>Innovative story and unique setting. Unlike any fantasy game you've ever played.</li></ul></blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Something to tide you over until Avernum 5 rolls out.
<br>
<br>
As I haven't got access to one of those fruity Macs to try the game I'll have to wait until the Windows version is released this summer. If you've tried the demo, please feel free to give us your impressions of how it plays and any comparisons to the original.
<br>

elander_

Arbiter
Nethergate was the first crpg i played from this guy and enjoyed it a lot. The historical setting was very cool. Strange but i can't like his other games much.

Nedrah

Erudite
Well, I'm kind of looking forward to it, too... but seriously, someone does have to have a mac around here? I'd be pretty interested in some impressions of the game. In the meantime, I'm hoing to continue hunting down good old adventures. At least there are still some decent ones coming out from time to time, and I haven't played every single one worth a damn to death. Damn you, Rpgs!

Erm... sorry.

Amasius

Augur
Yeah, unfortunately. It seems there is no market for RPGs who aren't High Fantasy or Sci-Fi. :roll:

I haven't played the original so I'm looking forward to the Remake. But: no Mac here.

k_bits

Scholar
Ditto.

Loved the original...kinda...hmm...about the remake. Hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be great.

Fez

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Wasn't this the one that he referred to as his "experimental failure" in an old interview?

I think the combination of it being very different to his other games with using a brand new engine for the first time to make it meant he was taking a lot more risks than he normally does. This second chance might mean he can make the game more as he envisioned it, coupled with his greater experience with the engine and making games in general.

Even if it is a remake, it's nice to see him work on something that isn't Avernum or Geneforge 5. Perhaps if it sells well we'll be getting more of that world too.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Does anyone know what the upgrade to the graphics and sound will be?

In looking at screenies of the original game and the upgrade (on the mac screenshot page), they look pretty much the same.

Will the windows one be using the later graphics engine (Geneforge 4)?

I havent played this one so will be playing it when the windows version gets released. Interesting choice to release Mac first, are there many MAC gamers out there?

Fez

Erudite
It'll be using the older Avernum engine, rather than the Geneforge one. The update to the graphics is simply new tiles, tweaks to the characters, interface and so on. It's not a whole new engine or anything. I wouldn't expect it to look totally different, more slight differences like you would see between each Avernum game.

Spiderweb always release to Mac first. I know it used to be the majority of his market, though it may have changed to Windows now.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
I've got myself a Mac, and never really played any Spiderweb games apart from mucking around with a few demos. Is there any one in particular people would recommend? In terms of story, dialogue, all that goodness.

Actually, I've played Geneforge 1 quite a way in, so probably something other than that.

Fez

Erudite
So far Geneforge 4 seems like the best of the series. If you aren't bothered about following the continuity of them then you could just jump into that.

Avernum 4 or BoA are pretty good too, but it doesn't have the same level of freedom of choices and dialogue.

Also, play the new Nethergate and post up first impressions.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Fez said:
It'll be using the older Avernum engine, rather than the Geneforge one. The update to the graphics is simply new tiles, tweaks to the characters, interface and so on. It's not a whole new engine or anything. I wouldn't expect it to look totally different, more slight differences like you would see between each Avernum game.

Spiderweb always release to Mac first. I know it used to be the majority of his market, though it may have changed to Windows now.

Hmm, not sure that is enough to get me to play it. Must be pretty simple to just replace tiles etc.....as opposed to a full remake. The website says full ground up remake so i was hoping for more with the graphics". Setting looks interesting though.

I wish Vogul would get someone to add some music to the games, I like the games alot, but it would really add alot to have some background music. I keep hoping he will expand his team to 2 or 3 and include a graphics and sound guy.

Fez

Erudite
You could always play some of your own music in the background. I've done it before as it's not a game you have to worry about frame rates or performance with.

I'd like to see fancier art and sound, but I doubt he can afford it or justify the increase in development costs.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Fez said:
You could always play some of your own music in the background. I've done it before as it's not a game you have to worry about frame rates or performance with.

I'd like to see fancier art and sound, but I doubt he can afford it or justify the increase in development costs.

Yea I have done that, it works pretty well. Agreed, it would take quite a bit more money to add better art and sound....oh well. Im thinking he will need to do a graphics over haul eventually. I dont care that much about graphics, but even these games are a bit old school for me (Even though I have played and enjoyed them). The non animated movement is pretty tough to get used to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom