Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Brian Fargo confirms a Wasteland successor

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Brian Fargo, the man who founded and lost Interplay (due to the "declining PC market"), and later founded inXile Entertainment, responsible for the Bard's Tale massacre, has confirmed that he's "indeed looking into bringing back the game that spawned the Fallout series". Considering that:
<br>
<br>
a) inXile got the Wasteland license in 2003
<br>
b) inXile released the Bard's Tale in 2004 and started working on an announced project.
<br>
c) 1UP Managing Editor Garnett Lee said: "I think we are going to see a spiritual successor to Fallout One and Two from the guy who originally did Wasteland, and I'm just going to leave it at that."
<br>
<br>
It would be reasonable to see the game's announcement soon. Of course, the fact that the unannounced game is a "Next gen action adventure game" doesn't inspire much confidence, but let's hope that Brian will have enough sense not to compete with Bethesda for the prestigious "Rapist of the Year" award.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at DAC.
<br>
<br>

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meh. Considering that this is Fargo and Inexile, this could suck even more than FO 3.

However, lets wait till the first details are announced.

2008 looks pretty fucking awful for the RPG genre.

We've got Sellout: Piece of Shit 2/3.

We've got Bioware's Sonic RPG, complete with furry romance. OH GOD IT'S HELL!

We've got a Wasteland rape....errr sequel coming up as well.

What's next? Arcanum FPS? Torment 2 a Dungeon Siege clone?

aries202

Erudite
I played the demo (once!) for the new Bard's Tale, made by Brian Fargo's Inexile's Studiio.

It was ----- awfull. The visuals were sort of nice, though. But the jokes were brawdy and adolescent, and the Bard's self-humorous way of beeing soon became very annoying instead of the fresh approach it probably was meant to be.

The gameplay (mechanics etc.) were not that great either. I can live with that you're on allowed to save at save points in the game, if the location of these save points made any sense. Sadly :( - they didn't.

I'm just a little bit skeptical what Brian Fargo is going to do with Wasteland 2....

Saxon1974

Prophet
Oh man, this makes me shiver. I was mad for weeks after getting Fargo's Bards Tale remake.....

I dont think I can handle seeing another action shooter with a storied RPG name tagged on it. :(

Ausir

Arcane
Well, back in 2003 Fargo said:

As for Wasteland, I can't give much commentary on it yet but it would be a totally different treatment than what we are doing with BT. Wasteland is a heavier subject matter with a more intense system behind it.

and

June 13, 2003: Brian Fargo and his new game company, inXile, acquire the rights to Wasteland with the United States Patent Office. Soon after, Mr. Fargo shows up at Snake Squeezins to ask for comments about the game from its loyal fans. He notes the reason he didn't get the rights sooner was that Electronic Arts was sitting on them. When they expired, Konami grabbed it for use with their Yu-Gi-Oh series, but they were kind enough to let him have the trademark back. And the new Wasteland will be "darker in nature than the first one," and touts that it will be "very much an old school RPG that uses the skill systems, open ended nature of design, and puts the player into a world that is not black and white but shades of grey." Soon after joining Squeezins, he bails out as others were cross-posting his posts to other forums, and I guess he didn't like that.

so there's hope he'll treat it better than Bard's Tale. IMHO, the console title is probably something else.

Fez

Erudite
"Declining PC market". A poor excuse for his failure.

Ausir

Arcane
Hopefully, the next-gen title is something else he uses in order to fund Wasteland, his oldschool pet project.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
He thinks that if only he managed to release more shitty console games before he lost the company to Titus, everything would have been fine.

Ausir

Arcane
By the way, since Wasteland was made in the 80s, it had a very 80s style (especially in character portraits), so it would be great if they made the sequel to actually be 80s retro-future, just like Fallout is 50s retro-future. I'd love to have a post-apocalyptic game with 80-style pink clothing, 8-bit electronic music and Commodore 64-like advanced supercomputers, Back to the Future 2-like stuff and Queen's "Hammer to Fall" as the theme song.

Texas Red

Whiner
I guess not mentioning that the game is "next gen", whatever the fuck that means, will completely destroy the sales of that said game. Seriously, they are making fools out of themselves with that marketing talk.

Also, I want them to be visited by the Christams ghosts or whatever so they would understand the magnitude of their raping and selling out.

Will this Fargo character ever learn? After Interplay and his crap called Bard's Tale why cant he understand that going consoles with dumbdown shite is not the way out?! How much proof does this guy need?

Ausir

Arcane
We don't know yet if the next-gen game is Wasteland or something else, so I'd wait until there's more info.

Texas Red

Whiner
Ausir said:
We don't know yet if the next-gen game is Wasteland or something else, so I'd wait until there's more info.

Do you really have any doubt?

Ausir

Arcane
Well, he did say it will be "very much an old school RPG that uses the skill systems, open ended nature of design" *as opposed to Bard's Tale* some time ago. And it's not as if he claimed anything like it about Bard's Tale - he never said it would be anything other than an action-RPG.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Interplay/inexile reminds me of Obsidian, except instead of making shitty sequels to bioware games, they're making shitty remakes of old games.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Jaime Lannister said:
Interplay/inexile reminds me of Obsidian, except instead of making shitty sequels to bioware games, they're making shitty remakes of old games.

Man, statements like this make me feel aghast. AFAIK they only made 1 game so far, which never was intended to be a remake, but a "spoof". It was not good, but it was far from "shitty". What were those "remakes" you spoke of? Keep to the facts, dumbass.

Didn't you read BF's quotes? We have it directly from the horses mouth: Wasteland 2 will be old-skool. Period.

I hate to see fucktards talking shit about one of my personal heroes. Yes, he had a fallout with Tim Cain, but I think it was TC fault, not BF's.

The hope of a Wasteland 2 makes me feel like 16 again - a world full of opportunities and possibilities. I'm thrilled

@Vault Dweller
Again. Your negative stance and forced cynicism is very much out of place. Your underinformed bashing of IPs business concept does not nullify the fact that BF held the crap together for a fucking long time. He is a man in games business with syle and vision.

Zomg

Arbiter
Ausir said:
By the way, since Wasteland was made in the 80s, it had a very 80s style (especially in character portraits), so it would be great if they made the sequel to actually be 80s retro-future, just like Fallout is 50s retro-future. I'd love to have a post-apocalyptic game with 80-style pink clothing, 8-bit electronic music and Commodore 64-like advanced supercomputers, Back to the Future 2-like stuff and Queen's "Hammer to Fall" as the theme song.

Hah, that really would be great.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I can't help but imagine running around in the Biff-controlled alternate universe that Marty goes to.

How about something like Class of 1999 or Escape from New York?

I remember a whole bunch of movies from that era which invariably featured a group of punk teenagers with switchblades and leather jackets going up against corporations with massive armaments in a post-apocalyptic setting.

The downfall of mankind was never from war or bombs, but rather just a general lack of morality. Anarchy and anti-social behavior run amok. It could definitely make for an interesting setting that stands apart from Fallout.

Either way, if Brian Fargo's smart at all, he'll make a game that really is a worthy descendant of Fallout, which would make Bethesda's game seem like a bargain-bin wanna-be by comparison. Directing all of the hype from their game into his own.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Sir_Brennus said:
Didn't you read BF's quotes? We have it directly from the horses mouth: Wasteland 2 will be old-skool. Period.

Quotes never lie, just look at Oblivion!

aries202

Erudite
Yes, the Bard's Tale (the new one) was supposed to be a spoof game - a game that made & poked fun at the main character's always getting to save the world - for no other reason than it is written or you have been selected by the stars or something like that. It was supposed to be a parody of sort, a spoof comedy, :( sadly --- it wasn't that funny :(

As for the Wasteland game, I would like to see a plot around the climate disaster or maybe a plot revolve around big corparations taking over the world or something ike that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom