Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Feargus is back in black

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

According to <a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/030806/bioware_obsidian_part_1.html">this news item</a> on Yahoo!, our beloved <B>Feargus Urquhart</b>--formerly of <a href="http://www.blackisle.com">Black Isle Studios</a>--has entered into an unholy alliance with <a href="http://www.bioware.com">BioWare</a> to make all sorts of crazy games.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"BioWare is interested in establishing relationships with credible development studios that have the desire and capability to implement projects consistent with our quality expectations. Obsidian represents a perfect example of this strategy. We're very pleased to have the chance to work with teams which have a demonstrated track record of developing world class titles," commented Dr. Ray Muzyka, Joint CEO, BioWare Corp.
<br>
<br>
"A collaboration with BioWare gives Obsidian the opportunity to explore development projects on established game franchises with proven technology and brand loyalty from the fan community. This is an excellent opportunity for a new studio looking to make an immediate impact in the market," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO, Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
And poor Feargus thought he had escaped making D&D games with a godawful engine... Well, best of luck to Mr. Urquhart! Here's hoping he can make BioWare put out a great game. For more on Obsidian Entertainment, try their <a href="http://www.obsidianent.com/">website</a> and enjoy all the juicy content there.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This is, qite frankly, good news. I guess this goes to show that the split up between Inetrplay/Blackisle, and Bioware didn't have much to do with Urquhart. I wonder what these "crazy" games he speaks of are; though?

Hmm.. I'm thinking.. Pehraps; while BIO is going on to to make other games (like their two undisclosed games); Obsidian will be working on future NWN expansions sinc eh's talking about established game franchises.

Should be interesting..

P.S. Thanks for the news item. :idea:

Voss

Erudite
Amazingly juicy content on their website in fact.

Sounds like expansions to me. 'proven technology and brand loyalty'.
Odds on a KotoR expansion/sequel though. People are going to burn out on NWN expansions... two in one year is hefty as is. And Bioware's officially said they won't move NWN to 3.5- and Wizards is likely to only want new games to be the current version of D&D.

I'm not entirely sure what Bioware gets out of the relationship though, unless maybe they're planning on doing the publishing side of things themselves.

And can people get off the darkness kick? *Black* isle to Obsidian. Why doesn't anyone start Uber-cute Fluffy Pink Kitty Studios?

Psilon

Erudite
I wonder what Obsidian will actually do on the expansions. Volourn, did you ever manage to figure out what Floodgate did besides add names to the credits?

Jed

Cipher
Spazmo said:
For more on Obsidian Entertainment, try their <a href="http://www.obsidianent.com/">website</a> and enjoy all the juicy content there.>
What content? Where is this content of which you speak?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Psilon, nothing too specific except that the story campaign was done by BIO. It seems that Floodagte worked on stuff like spell efects, special effects, and other assorted nuances. Not much else is known. It seems a big mystery from them going from supposedly being largely in charge of the campaign to doing menial extras. Hmm..

Jed

Cipher
No really, is there more to the website? I use mozilla, and occasionally I'll run into a incompatible site, I thought this might be one....

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
XJEDX said:
No really, is there more to the website? I use mozilla, and occasionally I'll run into a incompatible site, I thought this might be one....

I also use Mozilla and see only darkness.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Well, all the best luck to Feargus. Bioware, for all their shortcomings, have made some big sellers in the past few years so maybe Fergie can make some dough out of this deal.

Jed

Cipher
Psilon said:
chrisbeddoes said:
I also use Mozilla and see only darkness.
Well, it works in Opera, though you're not missing much. There's a logo and an email address "for more information."
Yeah that's what I see, too; I guess I was mislead by the "juicy content" comment above...

Jed

Cipher
Dammit--that went right over my head! Hey Spaz, howsabout next time using italics for the more trusting among us?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I actually like this. Even though I have a dislike for Bioware and it's lacklustre products, they could very well prove to be good publishers with Feargus' stuff. It'd be nice to see some of the talent from Interplay or the ex-talent (i.e. MCA) to move in with Obsidian and produce some good stuff. I'd have more faith in Obsidian than anything Interplay is making right now because of the sheer fact that the marketing people aren't there to infringe on creative license.

Jed

Cipher
I'm adopting a wait-and-see attitude in regards to Obsidian, but I pretty much agree with what Ex said. Feargut is no Cain, but he's no Gaider, either...

Araanor

Liturgist
Here's hoping he makes use of the Bioware name and not of the Bioware practices...

Jed

Cipher
Here's to hoping they don't let Bio write the code, but I guess unless Bio's role is limited to maintaining the wehrmacht of hype for Obsidian's games, we'll be stuck with crappy real-time game engines replete with plenty of hard-coded lameness.

PS- Does that metaphor breach the Godwin threshold?

Voss

Erudite
Maybe.

But it does imply that the hype is something that can be worn down by attrition over time.
We must attack the hype factories!
There is hope yet. Maybe if there is less hype, more effort can go into the games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom