Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Rise of the Argonauts Q&A, part 2

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Rise of the Argonauts

Here is the <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/811/811299p1.html>second part</a> of the Rise of the Argonauts interview. If you missed the first part, <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.net/index.php#4809>click here</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote> I think players will really get a kick out of how refreshingly different our combat system is from those in most RPGs, and from action / adventure games in general. First off, <b>our combat is executed in real-time, which in and of itself is a significant departure from the turn-based approach found in many RPGs</b>.</blockquote>You guys are true pioneers of game development. :salute:
<br>
<br>

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Re: Rise of the Argonauts Q&A, part 2

This game is going to be truly REVOLUTIONARY! The best cRPG EVAH!...

Globbi

Augur
Is there any ARPG without real time combat? None? Looks like we have tons of revolutionary games then, I didn't even know that game developers were so innovative all this time.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Gotta love this line :

Not to mention many with experience on Liquid's prior forays into RPGs (Dragonshard)

Um, dragonshard? The real time strategy game with some very vague DnD inspirations? Who are they kidding exactly?

Also :

Also, by rewarding him with equipment and enhancements (bonuses that can be applied to equipment) for collecting "sets" of deeds, we allow the players to set their own goals and mini-objectives to accomplish as they progress through the game.

Collecting teh ubarest loot counts as a single goal, not multiple goals.

One of the other things we have stressed in the game is to make our enemies meaningful in terms of the narrative.When the player faces Adonis, an arrogant hunter transformed into a massive, hideous boar for defiling one of Artemis' dryads, the player's prior exposure to Adonis the character (and Orion, his mentor) makes the battle significantly more meaningful from a narrative perspective.

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the meaningfulness of the narrative! Bet you it amounts to a cutscene where you meet Adonis, he insults you, then later you get to see him as a boar and go "lol!" before killing him and taking his stuff.

Quests are present at a very high level, mostly as a guiding force for the player to ensure that they are always aware of their goals and objectives.

Which will all no doubt translate into killing your way from one end of an island to the other. You might need to collect an item along the way. Hoorah, I can hardly wait.

crakkie

Arcane
I don't get how this is even an action RPG. Because of the "deeds"? I've seen progression systems like that in arcade games. Or is it the little side quests of the kind found in the action-adventure genre?

I guess it's an action-RPG that removes the last vestiges of RPG-gameplay from Dungeon Siege and just goes ahead and turns into an action game. Hoo-rah.

max

Novice
Why stop in greek mythology?

Greek mythology has no mass market appeal.

Here's an idea: I am looking for some folding money to start development on a bible themed TB RPG.
Just think of it: We could get every church to promote it to its members and their kids.
Can anyone say GOLDMINE?

We kill 4 birds with 1 stone:

1. The CODEX gets a real TB RPG, with a budget!
2. All the bible-themed carnage and perversion you can eat!
3. I get rich!
4. Unlimited sequels and spinoffs! (aka. I can afford to be a degenerate gambler.)

I think everyone can agree that is a pretty high bird/stone ratio!

Can anyone give me a reason why this wouldn't work?

Consider: This strategy got W into the White House.

Also consider: "Not enough God fearing Christians own computers" is not an reason. We can promote owning a $700 computer for the purpose of playing a bible themed RPG.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
At long last a brave innovative game developing David has come to slay the Goliath of turn based combat. :roll:

Seboss

Liturgist
Re: Rise of the Argonauts Q&A, part 2

Vault Dweller said:
<b>our combat is executed in real-time, which in and of itself is a significant departure from the turn-based approach found in many RPGs</b>.
Was this guy holding his notes upside down or what?

cuthbert

Novice
So he's bragging about his real-time button mashing as opposed to turn-based button mashing. Why doesn't this guy say just say it's a god of war clone and leave it at that.

I thought Adonis got killed by a boar because a bunch of goddesses were fighting over him. But that wouldn't make for a big monster hack, now would it?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Godammit! Stop being so negative! The game offers choices and consequences; what more do you want?

Jason must inflict blows in rapid succession, causing [an ELITE boss character] to flare up and ultimately immolate itself, leaving nothing but ash.

Simple enough, right? Well, this is compounded by the fact that this molten creature emits flaming feathers with every strike, which will damage Jason if he is too close. Given this defense mechanism, THE PLAYER MUST MAKE A CHOICE of whether or not they want to safely "stoke" the Gryphon from afar with his SPEAR, or bite the bullet and wade into melee with his SWORD, unleashing a flurry of blows to get the creature off the battlefield.
That's some seriously deep shit right there.

Erzherzog

Magister
I'm just saying there were many other statements that were much better to use to prove your point, rather than using one that actually made sense...

Jora

Arcane
Wolfenstein1942 said:
I'm just saying there were many other statements that were much better to use to prove your point, rather than using one that actually made sense...
It doesn't, really. He's saying that most of the RPGs available have turn-based combat and that not having TB is a signifigant departure from them and a refreshingly different take. How many turn-based RPGs have you played recently? ToEE was four years ago and since then only Nival has kept the genre alive with its tactical combat games (SS, H&S, NW, DW).

This isn't even the first time marketers have tried convince us that TB games dominate the market.

chiefnewo

Liturgist
AAAAAAARGH!

How can people so stupid learn to run a compiler, let alone remember to breathe continuously?!

cutterjohn

Cipher
"while removing a lot of the minutiae that can often bog down games in this genre."
As if ARPGs weren't already dumbed down enough...

Antagonist

Liturgist
chiefnewo said:
AAAAAAARGH!

How can people so stupid learn to run a compiler, let alone remember to breathe continuously?!

I would attribute it to the fact that in many game development companies the designers and the software engineers are to separate groups. Apart from that I've not much to say about this game apart from that it's on my WONTBUY list. Yes, I'm aware of it that this must have been a terribly interesting revelation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom