Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Depth of Peril demo is out!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Depths of Peril

Depth of Peril demo is now available.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Depths of Peril is a single player action role-playing game (RPG) with strong strategy elements. You play as a faction leader protecting the barbarian city, Jorvik, by destroying threatening monsters and completing quests. At the same time, you compete with rival factions to see who will rule the city. Barbarians choose their leaders by fighting to the death!
<br>
<br>
As a faction leader, you must deal with rival factions through diplomacy, trade, and in time, war. Between battles and raids against other barbarian factions, you build the most powerful faction possible, to withstand your enemies. Building the power of a faction involves exploring a fantasy world, slaying dangerous monsters, solving quests for the city, avoiding deadly traps, and plundering loot to share within your faction.
<br>
<br>
But in this world, actions actually have consequences, so take care. Annoying the powerful and aggressive Legion of Fear faction will cause them to declare war and destroy you. Ignored orc uprisings in the Black Forest might lead to attacks on the town or even more trouble. Protect ally covenants that are being raided, because friends are hard to come by.
<br>
<br>
The Depths of Peril demo is available from the following mirrors:
<br>
<br>
Gamershell
<br>
http://www.gamershell.com/download_20642.shtml
<br>
<br>
GameSpot
<br>
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/depthsofperil/download.html?sid=6176725
<br>
<br>
WorthPlaying
<br>
http://www.worthdownloading.com/game.php?gid=2853
<br>
<br>
FanGaming
<br>
http://www.fangaming.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=1991
<br>
<br>
StrategyInformer
<br>
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/demos/depthsofperil/
<br>
<br>
FileShack
<br>
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/10986/Depths+of+Peril+Demo
<br>
<br>
Gameguru Mania
<br>
http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=24055
<br>
<br>
Atomic Gamer
<br>
http://www.atomicgamer.com/file.php?id=49
<br>
<br>
File Front
<br>
http://files.filefront.com/Depths+of+Peril+Demo/;8327830;;/fileinfo.html
<br>
<br>
ComputerGames.ro
<br>
http://computergames.ro/ro/downloads/viewitem/id/9055/name/depths-of-peril-demo.html</blockquote>Take a look and post your impressions here.
<br>
<br>
<br>

I'm downloading it now for kicks. It's going surprisingly quick over at GameSpot...but you need an account. Luckily GameFAQs accounts double as GameSpot ones.

Special_Can

Scholar
I just started dowloading it. I haven't been to interested in it, but it's worth a try.

Joe Krow said:
Review? Whats the news Murrow?

Well....it's unique....that's for sure. The whole idea of diplomacy is cool...but the fact that all the stuff is in real time just doesn't work too well. Trying to make deals just doesn't work out well, because other coven's heroes are out kicking ass and grinding at max speed and autonomously making demands of you whilst you can only do so much.

As for the actual "action-RPGing", I haven't been able to do much at all, or at least I think I haven't done much. My mage only ever had one fireball spell at the lowest level, thanks to a very questionable leveling system. My character had the requisite experience, yet he couldn't get any new skills, because they also required a considerable amount of money, and he was constantly getting badgered for all his stuff by other factions, pretty much screwing him out of any chance of a bigger fireball or a new spell altogether.

And the other factions are so demanding. They constantly want all my stuff, and when I don't give it to them, I take a massive reputation drop with them. On the other hand, when I give them stuff, I get hardly any bonus. It's not very fun for me.

And the AI is absolutely vicious. It does not play nice. I was playing on the easiest settings possible and had just reached level 3 and had gotten a bit of a friendly relationship going on with the Brotherhood of Steel (no joke), and then all of a sudden they are getting attacked by another faction, so I go to help. The Brotherhood hero is level 4, I'm level 3, and the opposing hero....is level 7. How he got that high, I'm not totally sure, though I think it has something to do with the AI having no interface latency and just being far quicker, though why the Brotherhood hero wasn't up to par...I've no idea. We get wasted by the other hero and the Brotherhood falls. Then the hero goes after my faction , Seasoned Men, even though I've been paying this guy every time he's asked. I try to get a peace treaty after the ingame popup says it's a good idea....to no avail. My faction gets destroyed.

And the action-RPG elements seem to supersede everything else. Since diplomacy doesn't seem too strong, being able to hack monsters (and big crystals) better is what makes you king. Sad really....the diplomacy is more interesting. And the ressurrection is a little kooky. If you kill someone raiding or get killed, you come back pretty quickly. So basically a raid is wholly decided by who can do damage as fast as possible.

And it's kind of weird all the factions are small houses in a small town....just saying.

So the main flaws I see are...

-Large monetary costs to level up...I thought experience was enough....
-Counter-intuitive AI behavior....they just don't make sense
-Far too efficient AI....they go faster than a Korean on energy drinks
-Diplomacy isn't effective enough
-Resurrection seems a little broken on all ends

Things that might be flaws depending on your persona...

-Strange that everyone is in the same town
-Very much an action-RPG

It's a decent game, but it needs some serious tweaking.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elwro said:
Sorry for offtopicness, but isn't Nethergate: Resurrection going to get a newspost?
It will once I free up some quality newsposting time.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Interesting idea having competing factions in a Diablo clone, not really sure it works out. Did the tutorial quests, went out to wilds and there were no monsters but about 5 competing covenants killing everything and completing a few quests before I got a chance to hack anything. I hate the leveling scheme, leveling to get skillpoints and then having to pay for skills (and cash is very tight in the game as far as I played) feels like punishment for leveling. For what is at heart an action RPG the action is pretty bleh.

I shoulda refreshed before I posted :p

The dungeons are awful, apparently someone developer thought it would be good if certain areas are completly pitch black except for a small fog free area around your pc, whoever's idea this was should be off the team :P

Ret

Novice
My 3 second review:

The game plays like an offline MMORPG. That's all you need to know about this one.

Edit: Hello Codex! :)

Shoelip

Arbiter
I actually had fun. I didn't find it too hard as long as I kept completinh quests. The way to win is to complete quests to get influence and money. Then you can give items to the factions you want for allies and since you have the most influence no one will want to attack you, but instead give you free stuff. The quests are very important.

katzenjammer said:
How sophisticated are the quests in the game?

-Open your inventory
-Equip your hotkeys
-Get 3 skeleton skulls
-Collect 15 orc ears
-Kill the Orc Chief
-Kill the monsters threatening [NPC name]

Those were some of the quests I ran into.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Go to diplomacy page, pick a faction to trade with, ask for all their influence and gems, give it all back, ask for it back, repeat until 100, repeat with other factions. Form alliances and check the big chest in the middle of the camp.

:P

There are some bits where named monsters are spotted in certain areas, and if you don't clear them out eventually they form armies or something.

YourConscience

Scholar
Does it look like that game can be easily modded, such as toning down the activity of the AI or changing the prices somewhat? (I can't d'l the demo currently)

Why do the screenshots look so bad? It's all kind of orange and it's nearly impossible to tell what's happening on them...

Other than that, the feature list of this game is certainly what I'd like to see on every other game in the store. Then, perhaps not in this, but in some other game it might produce a really enjoyable game.

Now just imagine that very same pathetic Oblivion without levelscaling and with these same features. Would've made me overlook all it's other weaknesses... :P

How about some quality guild warfare between the mage guild and the assassins. :)

Nedrah

Erudite
Quests seem to be very MMO'ish indeed. I only played it for a few minutes, though, as the graphics were pretty screwed, I got flickering and blackouts and the mouse cursor was only visible when being placed over a clickable object.

Shoelip

Arbiter
It's probably due to my newly upgraded machine but I didn't experience any graphical bugs. I just won my first game too. One thing I noticed that could be considered a bug. I had to rescue a rogue type character but she kept hiding every time she wasn't in combat so I had to lure monsters near her to make her reveal herself and then scramble to get them all to attack me instead of her, and then immediately after the battle was over I had to scramble to click on her before she hid again.

Also, yeah, the dungeons are too dark.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
One thing that bothered me is that when I open the inventory and the character screen the later overlaps the former, which is kinda annoying. I want them open at the same time because I want to see the effects of the equipment.

Noctis

Novice
I honestly don't see why this deserves a place on the Codex' front page. Seriously... This is isn't RPG, it's a horrible misuse of RPG elements on a pathetic arcade game.

It has no role play to speak of, the background story is mediocre at best and totally irrelevant and unconnected to the gameworld, the dialog is serval times worse than Oblivion's(that's saying something alright), the world makes no sense at all; there's simply a town area and a bunch of grinding areas, the gameplay is a horrible WoW rip-off, the FedEx quests offer little variation to the constant grinding, the "choices and consequences" are limited to "do the quest to kill the evil monster now or have it rampage in the town killing the shopkeepers(who respawn again in 2 minutes) and risk letting someone else kill it" and the list goes on and on and on... In short: not an RPG, horrible gameplay, don't waste your time(go mow your lawn or something, it'll be just as fun and you'll get something useful done as well).

Don't buy the hype.

- Noctis

psycojester

Arbiter
hmm you make reasonable points, but since you decided to use crimson text and wrote your name at the bottom of your poist i'm persuaded to defend DoP to the death. Seriously WTF is the point of writing your name at the end of the message? Its right fucking there in the sidebar!

speeler

Soldak Entertainment
Developer
Ok, this is apparently going to be a pretty long post.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Well....it's unique....that's for sure. The whole idea of diplomacy is cool...but the fact that all the stuff is in real time just doesn't work too well. Trying to make deals just doesn't work out well, because other coven's heroes are out kicking ass and grinding at max speed and autonomously making demands of you whilst you can only do so much.

The game is actually paused whenever you are doing any type of diplomacy so the enemy covenants aren't getting ahead of you. The game doesn't tell you that it is paused but it is.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
As for the actual "action-RPGing", I haven't been able to do much at all, or at least I think I haven't done much. My mage only ever had one fireball spell at the lowest level, thanks to a very questionable leveling system. My character had the requisite experience, yet he couldn't get any new skills, because they also required a considerable amount of money, and he was constantly getting badgered for all his stuff by other factions, pretty much screwing him out of any chance of a bigger fireball or a new spell altogether.

At higher levels the skills costing money doesn't impact you as much. I'm thinking that it is just too expensive at the beginning. HanoverF also mentioned he didn't like this.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
And the other factions are so demanding. They constantly want all my stuff, and when I don't give it to them, I take a massive reputation drop with them. On the other hand, when I give them stuff, I get hardly any bonus. It's not very fun for me.

I believe I'm going to lessen how much relation you lose when you say no to a demand. For that matter I think I'm going to decrease how much they demand stuff.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
The Brotherhood hero is level 4, I'm level 3, and the opposing hero....is level 7. How he got that high, I'm not totally sure, though I think it has something to do with the AI having no interface latency and just being far quicker, though why the Brotherhood hero wasn't up to par...I've no idea.

This greatly depends on who the other covenant was. They each have different stats and are better at some things compared to the other covenants. You probably got one of the covenants that focuses on adventuring as much as possible.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
And the ressurrection is a little kooky. If you kill someone raiding or get killed, you come back pretty quickly. So basically a raid is wholly decided by who can do damage as fast as possible.

The resurrection time is determined by how healthy your lifestone is. The better its condition the faster you will resurrect. The player is a slightly special case though and resurrects faster then everyone else.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
It's a decent game, but it needs some serious tweaking.

Don't worry we will tweak until we release the game and we do very much listen to player feedback.

HanoverF said:
The dungeons are awful, apparently someone developer thought it would be good if certain areas are completly pitch black except for a small fog free area around your pc, whoever's idea this was should be off the team :P

That would be me :) There are usually torches and other light sources around also. I'll have to think about this one.

HanoverF said:
Go to diplomacy page, pick a faction to trade with, ask for all their influence and gems, give it all back, ask for it back, repeat until 100, repeat with other factions. Form alliances and check the big chest in the middle of the camp.

Yeah, that would be a bug.

YourConscience said:
Does it look like that game can be easily modded, such as toning down the activity of the AI or changing the prices somewhat? (I can't d'l the demo currently)

Yes, the game is very easily modded. The big asset files are just normal zips and most of the important data in the game is in there somewhere and is usually in a normal text file. You can change both of your examples.

Nedrah said:
I only played it for a few minutes, though, as the graphics were pretty screwed, I got flickering and blackouts and the mouse cursor was only visible when being placed over a clickable object.

Was the flickering and blackouts only the mouse or everything? What kind of graphics card do you have?

Shoelip said:
One thing I noticed that could be considered a bug. I had to rescue a rogue type character but she kept hiding every time she wasn't in combat so I had to lure monsters near her to make her reveal herself and then scramble to get them all to attack me instead of her, and then immediately after the battle was over I had to scramble to click on her before she hid again.

Damn rogues and their stealth. Yeah, that's a bug.

Elhoim said:
One thing that bothered me is that when I open the inventory and the character screen the later overlaps the former, which is kinda annoying. I want them open at the same time because I want to see the effects of the equipment.

I could have sworn that I had fixed all of the overlapping issues :( I'll see what I can do about that.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Thanks for coming Steven. About the overlapping, I was using a resolution of 1280x800. Maybe that has something to do with it. :)

speeler

Soldak Entertainment
Developer
Elhoim said:
Thanks for coming Steven. About the overlapping, I was using a resolution of 1280x800. Maybe that has something to do with it. :)

No problem. Actually I just looked at the UI and it should overlap in any resolution. I apparently just wasn't paying much attention the last time I moved that stuff around.

Nedrah

Erudite
speeler said:
Was the flickering and blackouts only the mouse or everything? What kind of graphics card do you have?

Hey, the mouse was basically invisible almost all of the time, unless it was, as I said, actually over something click-/usable. The flickering affected the whole screen, blackouts were extremely short but affected the whole screen, too.

Code:
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600  
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: GeForce Go 6600
         DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0148&SUBSYS_22951584&REV_A2
   Display Memory: 256.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
          Monitor: (Standardmonitor)
  Monitor Max Res: 
      Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
   Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9773 (English)
      DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
 Driver Date/Size: 2/2/2007 04:25:00, 5365504 bytes
      WHQL Logo'd: n/a
  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
              VDD: Nicht zutreffend
         Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys

hope that helps :)

Bradylama

Arcane
I'm not motivated to do anything here. Like, at all. I started off with a fighter and the cheap starting hatchet, and none of the mobs did much damage. I didn't even talk to anybody, just went out and started clubbing baddies, and all of a sudden Eat Shit becomes the strongest covenant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom