Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Informative Mask of the Betrayer review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

A MotB tester has posted his own <a href=http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=47858>review</a> of the expansion on the Obsidian forums:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Likewise, I’m not advocating the game because it’s part of the Neverwinter Nights franchise. Frankly, I was disappointed when I discovered that I’d be working on the expansion. I’ve had mixed feelings about NWN since the very first game hit the shelves. I’ve enjoyed it and hated it in varying degrees since I received my pre-ordered copy of NWN. I had this crazy hope, against all odds, that I would get a chance to see Aliens or one of the other projects under development at Obsidz. As it happened, the folks on different projects at Obsidz showed me the other games, but I only worked on one. Of all the games, MotB is the one I was least enthusiastic to see.
<br>
<br>
So, how did I go from a decided lack of enthusiasm to singing the holy praises of gamer geekdom? That will follow below. Right now, as is my custom, I will discuss the aspects that I didn’t like. I guess I could say… I dunno…. maybe, “I will discuss the aspect that needed the most improvement.” I won’t insult your intelligence. There were aspects I didn’t like about MotB. ...
<br>
<br>
Probably my biggest beef is engine optimization. Sure, MotB runs better than NWN2. It runs better by a lot, really. Translate: NWN2 was extremely bad where MotB is merely bad. The loading times, on the computer I was running, were less than stellar, but running around within the areas was smoother than NWN2. ...
<br>
<br>
The camera angles are improved over NWN2, but I would rather have finer control over the camera. It seemed a little erratic to me, and that’s largely unchanged from the first title. The camera issue is always a favorite topic for argument, and everyone seems to have his own take. My point is that I want the camera controls to be more fluid than fast, and that has not been the case for either NWN2 or MotB. Fiddling with the settings doesn’t help much, and so I’ve gotten used to it. Getting used to a feature is simply not the same as liking it.
<br>
<br>
...What I can say is that the MotB graphics are roughly equivalent to the graphics for NWN2. I prefer some of the scenes in MotB, and I think the artwork is better, which makes the game more aesthetically appealing to me. The spooky areas are spooky, the large outdoor scenes are pretty, and the game, with all the bells ringing and whistles blowing, is much more enticing to the eye than NWN2. I would not describe any area as “breathtaking,” but the graphics are sufficient to do the job, just as they were with NWN2. As an aside, I was more impressed with the Aliens graphics, although that might have been the coolness factor of getting to see the game.
<br>
<br>
Since I’ve commented often on the story, I’d like to cite the less than stellar aspect of the writing (there I go again, insulting your intelligence). ... When a game, such as PS:T, tries to rise above its third class standing, a number of people in the gaming community pillory the effort as “pseudo-philosophical” or “quasi-intellectual.” PS:T was “pseudo-philosophical,” but only inasmuch as it introduced philosophical notions in order to further the story. …And those elements, no matter how we describe them, served as the basis for understanding the game itself. MotB, on the other hand, gives the same superficial treatment to the larger issues as virtually every other game in the genre. There are important questions, such as faith and trust and morality, that barely get a nod from the design team, and sometimes not even that.
<br>
<br>
On that note, I can switch gears, because MotB tells an excellent story. Like I’ve said previously, I prefer PS:T to MotB, but the two games are similar. Both tell a personal story. However, the point of PS:T is to discover something about yourself. You must understand the things you’ve done in the past and decipher the activities of your previous “incarnations.” In MotB, the game is refreshingly centered on something (and someone) other than yourself. Sure, the game revolves around the PC and his actions, but the point of every endeavor is to understand something that happened in the far distant past. If PS:T were a story of self discovery, then MotB is a story of other discovery. The PC learns something of himself along the way, of course, but MotB serves as the final chapter in a very long book. It is an important chapter, to be sure, but most of the book was written well before the PC enters the story.
<br>
<br>
Not only that, but the issues are not nearly so driven by philosophical underpinnings. In that regard, MotB does much better than other RPGs in that the design team, deciding not to tackle philosophical issues, crafted a much more personal story. This isn’t a game about the PC finding his mortality. It’s a game of survival. There’s not a lot of navel gazing in this game. It’s a gritty battle, and sometimes the enemy is the PC himself.
<br>
<br>
By now most of the folks following MotB have heard at least something of the spirit eater mechanic. Let me warn you right away that the spirit eater curse will cause the player some heartache and grief. It is not something to take lightly. Because of the curse, the PC will face a variety of dilemmas. The condition, and how the PC deals with it, will shape the game. It is that important.
<br>
<br>
The spirit eater mechanic has many ramifications for morality, but even these moral questions are more personal than most other games out there. The spirit eater curse is a hard companion, and the PC must bear it under his skin at all times. For that reason, many PCs will commit acts that tear at the heart of their moral compass. Only the most dedicated and determined (and clever) will be able to avoid acts of atrocity. However, the curse grants the PC several opportunities to commit acts of genuine goodness. It is a curse, to be sure, but the manner in which the PC deals with the curse makes MotB an excellent game. Player choices aren’t just immediate and often, but they’re meaningful as well.
<br>
<br>
I’ve not seen a game that so thoroughly rewards the player for such an assortment of decisions. I’ve always hated the idea of alignment, but if we simply ignored the swinging pendulum of alignment scores and shifts, the story itself recognizes the impact of the PC’s decisions, and I don’t just mean the end game. I’m not prepared to cite an instance right now, but there are wonderful examples of how the design team made good use of a game mechanic I’ve always hated… alignment. Even better, a player truly dedicated to playing a particular role will be able to ignore the alignment information anyhow. I know whatever choices I make will virtually always keep me in the lawful good alignment.
<br>
<br>
Speaking of choices, I seem to recall a thread Kaftan started complaining about influence. While he doesn’t like influence, I enjoy it. I thought it generally worked well in NWN2. In MotB it is outstanding. First of all, it’s nice to have other people respond and react to player choices. Taking the influence system out of the equation would be a mistake. Would it be better to have a paladin in the party who never says a word as the PC murders a building full of orphans? Is it better to have companions who stay in the party and act in the exact same way no matter what the PC does or says? I don’t think so. In NWN2, the influence system is sometimes capricious and largely opaque. In MotB, because of changes in the expansion, the influence system is much more transparent. You know how your companions view the PC at any time.
<br>
<br>
That’s something else I like about the influence system. The player must be concerned about how the NPCs view him. Just like real life, the PC cannot ignore the people around him. Anyone who has a job, or a family, or friends, or enemies, or… well… doesn’t live in a cave under the surface of Mars knows that he must interact with other people. He can be rude, sure. He can be abusive, using, or sneaky. He can even tell his companions or potential companions to leave him alone. …But the NPCs, just like folks in real life, will react to what the PC does.
<br>
<br>
There are fewer NPCs in the game, but they are splendid company. Sure, I think one of the NPCs could have a sexier voice. Altogether, the NPC dialogue is well written, they have wonderful backstories, and having a full party can make for a lot of fun interaction. There are some twists and turns in forming a party in MotB, but it all depends on what the player wants to find in the game. What I found was a great experience.
<br>
<br>
MotB is not a perfect game. In all my years of gaming, I have not found such a game. However, it is a breath of fresh air. It’s not enough to have a lot of choices to make in the game world. In fact, choice without consequence amounts to no choice at all. MotB crafts a beautiful story for the player, and the player completes that story by decisions. Those decisions are meaningful.</blockquote>Sounds very, very promising.
<br>
<br>
PS. Gotta love those "unprofessional" game reviews. Truly a breath of fresh air.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heck, that's a good review. He even talked about things like story and depth instead of just graffix and immershun. And it sounds quite good. I like it that he compares it to PST, that shows he has a good taste in games. The performance issues sound bad, though. I haven't bought NWN2 yet, but maybe I'll get it when they release a gold edition with the expansion included.

MetalCraze

Arcane
after patch 1.04 NWN2 started to run smoothly on my PC even with shadows turned on (however I had set their size to min). And my pc is old 2500+ with gf6600 so I don't care much about performance of the MotB now. But I care about story. And especially I'm interested in the part where player affect the story - that was the thing Obsidian failded to fully implement in kotor2 (though it was there in some way). And finally NPCs that really have their own opinions...
Really want to get this expansion. Hopefully this reviewer wrote the truth.

Deleted member 7219

Funny how he starts the review off saying MotB is a bad game and cites the performance and camera as a reason... then says he loves pretty much everything else about the game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Where does he say it is a bad game?
Why should a review not mention lack of graphic improvements, perfomance issues and jarring camera angles? Answer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Likewise, I’m not advocating the game because it’s part of the Neverwinter Nights franchise. Frankly, I was disappointed when I discovered that I’d be working on the expansion. I’ve had mixed feelings about NWN since the very first game hit the shelves. I’ve enjoyed it and hated it in varying degrees since I received my pre-ordered copy of NWN. I had this crazy hope, against all odds, that I would get a chance to see Aliens or one of the other projects under development at Obsidz. As it happened, the folks on different projects at Obsidz showed me the other games, but I only worked on one. Of all the games, MotB is the one I was least enthusiastic to see.

So, how did I go from a decided lack of enthusiasm to singing the holy praises of gamer geekdom? That will follow below. Right now, as is my custom, I will discuss the aspects that I didn’t like. I guess I could say… I dunno…. maybe, “I will discuss the aspect that needed the most improvement.” I won’t insult your intelligence. There were aspects I didn’t like about MotB. ...

Maybe those statements made him think that the reviewer thinks its a bad game. Although he also said "So, how did I go from a decided lack of enthusiasm to singing the holy praises of gamer geekdom?", so he's implying that firstly he didn't like it, but after playing through it thought it was a good game after all. Problem solved.

Deleted member 7219

Jasede said:
Where does he say it is a bad game?
Why should a review not mention lack of graphic improvements, perfomance issues and jarring camera angles? Answer.

He says its a bad game based solely on those factors plus that he disliked NWN and wanted to see Aliens:

Frankly, I was disappointed when I discovered that I’d be working on the expansion. I’ve had mixed feelings about NWN since the very first game hit the shelves. I’ve enjoyed it and hated it in varying degrees since I received my pre-ordered copy of NWN. I had this crazy hope, against all odds, that I would get a chance to see Aliens or one of the other projects under development at Obsidz. As it happened, the folks on different projects at Obsidz showed me the other games, but I only worked on one. Of all the games, MotB is the one I was least enthusiastic to see.

I won’t insult your intelligence. There were aspects I didn’t like about MotB. ...

Fiddling with the settings doesn’t help much, and so I’ve gotten used to it. Getting used to a feature is simply not the same as liking it.

Then he suddenly backflips on his previous statement and starts praising the game's 'excellent' Torment-like story, the dilemmas and decisions, and the influence system.

Its hard to make out what his opinion of the game actually is.

Deleted member 7219

Jasede said:
Learn to read.

You will have to teach me since I obviously have no grasp of the English language.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Frankly, I was disappointed when I discovered that I’d be working on the expansion. I’ve had mixed feelings about NWN since the very first game hit the shelves. I’ve enjoyed it and hated it in varying degrees since I received my pre-ordered copy of NWN. I had this crazy hope, against all odds, that I would get a chance to see Aliens or one of the other projects under development at Obsidz. As it happened, the folks on different projects at Obsidz showed me the other games, but I only worked on one. Of all the games, MotB is the one I was least enthusiastic to see.

He merely says he wasn't enthusiastic about MotB since he expected little from it - he'd have preferred it if he had been assigned to the Alien RPG, or any other Obsidian game. No where is a statement about MotB's quality made here, apart, mayhap, from having low expectations.

I won’t insult your intelligence. There were aspects I didn’t like about MotB. ...

He asserts that MotB has things he did not like- and goes on to explain them. Well? Certainly Fallout, too, has aspects you don't like - this does not mean it's a bad or good game, though.

Fiddling with the settings doesn’t help much, and so I’ve gotten used to it. Getting used to a feature is simply not the same as liking it.

Voicing an interface complaint is perfectly viable in a review.

"Then he suddenly backflips on his previous statement and starts praising the game's 'excellent' Torment-like story, the dilemmas and decisions, and the influence system."

He never backflips because he never said the game was bad. In fact he doesn't really say it's a good or bad game, he merely says the perfomance could be better, the loading times faster, the artwork is good, the story even better, but not quite PS:T, etc, etc.

The review does not, as such, tell the reader "It's good" or "It's bad", it merely lists good and bad aspects and allows the reader to draw his own conclusion for it is upon him to weight, in his own frame of mind, which aspects are more important than others.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm enthused enough after a few paragraphs to care about spoilers, so I'm not gonna read more of it, but does he say anything about the combat? Not shitting mindless, indentical combat slogs on my chest is step 1 in making a NWN game that I'll have a good opinion of.

Texas Red

Whiner
Zomg said:
I'm enthused enough after a few paragraphs to care about spoilers, so I'm not gonna read more of it, but does he say anything about the combat? Not shitting mindless, indentical combat slogs on my chest is step 1 in making a NWN game that I'll have a good opinion of.

There are no spoilarz.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
You can create a new epic character or just plug in your existing one and continue the adventure!

Good, solid review/preview thingy. Any idea what that Soul Eater thing is, exactly? More Suikoden-ripoffs?

Deleted member 7219

Bradylama said:
I'm sold. Any word if it's gonna be a standalone? :?

Nope, it's an expansion that requires NWN2.

Although the notion of a standalone RPG expansion is intruiguing... I mean, we already have standalone strategy and FPS expansions.

Amasius

Augur
Another proof that gaming journalism is doomed - or why must a potentially great gaming journalist like this guy make his living as a tester? A quite critical and analytical review and now I'm almost hyped! I couldn't force myself to finish NWN2 - and I tried twice - but it seems that it's purchase now pays off.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This tester is clearly an idiot, and his review is suspect. He says he liked the influence in NWN2 and it was shit. Not enough chances to raise influence with anyone, and the stupid 'HA, I turnz on u!' ending. Interesting idea (that's been had before) but so poorly implemented it might as well not even have been in the game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I figure why the influence system is half finished is due to another rush job by their publisher. It all paces well till late game where they suddenly use powerpoint slides to show a cutscene. It was supposed to be a scene of battle, instead we have art stills with voices and background noise supposedly depicting chaos and retreat against a horde of undead. That's when the game just feels unfinished to me.

The influence system, I suspect was never finished; if not it would've been up to Kotor2 standard, the game is simply too big and in making the hack n slash aspect longer, Obsidian leave themselves with not enough time to tie up the influence system properly.

It was very shallow. You basically do good stuff to please the pally, while you encourage more stealing to please the rogue. There was no convincing the NPC to accept 'your way', if they don't like it, they'll just wave the finger at you; but still insists on coming along to kill the Big Bad Evil Boss (tm)

I'd prefer if Charisma plays a part as well as the dialogs skills when implemented into the influence system.

Intimidating the rogue not to steal should've net you points if you are exceptionally scary, big, and wield a +10 motherfucking sword, using your Wisdom to convince the Pally that letting a few die for the survival and many is possible, cmon it's not THAT hard. Make me feel that it's not just a one-way-blowjob-street.

tardtastic

Scholar
I kindof remember hearing some of this same stuff back when NWN2 was going to come out? "Oh, such a great story," "oh, your choices make all the difference," etc., etc. I think a lot of devs are just playing-up "choices and consequences" now that Beth's caught flak for failing to offer them.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Is NWN2 worth finishing? Because I stopped playing in the second chapter when I realized that I couldn't beat the crap out of Quara or tell her to leave. I mean, it's like she makes up for being a total badass in combat by being completely unbearable in all other aspects. Seriously, what's the deal with that? As far as I can tell, the only way to gain influence over her is to mindlessly and wholeheartedly agree with everything she says. Why can't I hit her until she grows some maturity?! :evil:

JoeDirt

Scholar
RK47 said:
I figure why the influence system is half finished is due to another rush job by their publisher. It all paces well till late game where they suddenly use powerpoint slides to show a cutscene. It was supposed to be a scene of battle, instead we have art stills with voices and background noise supposedly depicting chaos and retreat against a horde of undead. That's when the game just feels unfinished to me.

The influence system, I suspect was never finished; if not it would've been up to Kotor2 standard, the game is simply too big and in making the hack n slash aspect longer, Obsidian leave themselves with not enough time to tie up the influence system properly.

It was very shallow. You basically do good stuff to please the pally, while you encourage more stealing to please the rogue. There was no convincing the NPC to accept 'your way', if they don't like it, they'll just wave the finger at you; but still insists on coming along to kill the Big Bad Evil Boss (tm)

I'd prefer if Charisma plays a part as well as the dialogs skills when implemented into the influence system.

Intimidating the rogue not to steal should've net you points if you are exceptionally scary, big, and wield a +10 motherfucking sword, using your Wisdom to convince the Pally that letting a few die for the survival and many is possible, cmon it's not THAT hard. Make me feel that it's not just a one-way-blowjob-street.

It's funny because the still artwork of Lord Nasher hacking undead and kicking ass was one of my favorite little things in NWN2. It reminded me of the art and style of "cut-scene" in DOS games. That little vignette really made me realize how much I was starting to like the game, and if they'd done some shitty CG movie, or even worse, a shoddily animated in-game cutscene, I would've hated it.

Everything else you said about the influence system is correct, though. In vanilla NWN2 it was just a half-assed mini-game that they didn't have enough time to properly implement, but with MotB's MUCH shorter list of joinable NPC's, let's hope they did it right this time.

hakuroshi

Augur
If this review is true, the game is definitely worth buying. Still all nice features may drown in endless and boring combat.

Yes, Influence should allow you to eventually make your companions accept your point of view, and not just kissing their asses to make them love you more. Admittedly, it should not be easy, and in some combination even impossible. Still it would be really rewarding to be able to bring Bishop to light, or corrupt the paladin, or just to beat the crap out of Qara. Original NWN2 influence system was very... low quality.

Speaking of Qara, sometimes you could allow her to burn something which should be burned to get influence, but I remember only two moments.

JoeDirt

Scholar
quara was much more archetypical of a chaotic-evil character than bishiop ever was. their alignments should've been switched. quara was clearly sociopathic and suffering from mental problems, most notably borderline personality disorder, delusions of grandeur and bipolarity. this is way more analyzation than her shitty character merits though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom