Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NMA celebrates Fallout 10th anniversary

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Fallout

<a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com>NMA</a> celebrates <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=39013>Fallout 10th anniversary</a>. Free beer and rare Fallout memorabilia, including Tim Cain's Supreme Commander hat, inside!
<br>

<br>
<blockquote>The Mr. Handy series of robots was first brought to market in 2037 as a general construction and maintenance unit by General Atomics International. Primarily used in the United States and Mexico (where it was the leader in sales after the Mexico City quake of 2042), the Mr. Handy was a reliable robot. An early bug that caused interference in the operation of the multiple arms was fixed with a hardware update in 2039, with no major problems since then. A key selling feature is the nuclear power unit (a model 238B, licensed from Calpower) and self-maintenance modes. Multiple Mr. Handys are capable of keeping themselves in working condition and are also fully programmed to perform nuclear fuel replacements. Secondary programming handles radiation cleansing after refueling.</blockquote>Each household should get one of these. They are very handy.
<br>

<br>

cardtrick

Arbiter
So, I don't know much about the Fallout games besides what you learn from playing them. Can anyone explain to me the "points" attached to various aspects of the Mr. Handy design doc? Direct link: http://www.nma-fallout.com/content.php?page=mrhandy.

EDIT: Is it some sort of internal weighting that they gave to possible enemies in the game in order to determine their experience value? Or is in-character, like the rest of the document, and the economy prior to to the world war had shifted from dollars to "points" - presumably some sort of digital unit of money, which might explain why bottlecaps are used for currency (there not being much in the way of old coins or paper money to find)?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Those're all GURPS values, cardtrick, not used in the final game.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
A key selling feature is the nuclear power unit

So they should explode with a nuclear mushroom cloud when destroyed, right? IIRC, in FO they spilled oil, or something like that. They got it wrong. Someone should fix that.

Steal the Van Buren source code and finish it. That's the only thing that will really impress me. I would also give major props to anybody in the industry (looking at you Obsidian....) who gave a huge "Fuck you!" to Bethesda by supporting it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Steal the Van Buren source code and finish it. That's the only thing that will really impress me. I would also give major props to anybody in the industry (looking at you Obsidian....) who gave a huge "Fuck you!" to Bethesda by supporting it.

I'm sure Bethesda would do everything in their power to stop such a project.

Deleted member 7219

Which would be easy to do. They own the license, therefore they can and will sue anyone who uses it. They'll shut this 'True Sequel' down faster than you can blink, you'll see.

Cease and desist, gentlemen. Cease and desist.

MasPingon

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:

I'm sure Bethesda would do everything in their power to stop such a project.

Van Buren didin't look good at a stage it was cancelled. I have doubts if it could shape up to a good FO game.

Oh, happy birthsday FO :]

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Note that today's not Fallout's 10th, that's at the beginning of October.

And as Sawyer pointed out, the Van Buren/Jefferson engine is a pain to work with, not really where you'd want any community effort to go.

Ausir

Arcane
MasPingon said:
Van Buren didin't look good at a stage it was cancelled. I have doubts if it could shape up to a good FO game.

Oh, happy birthsday FO :]

Have you read the design docs? While it probably wouldn't be as good as the first Fallout (although it was in some places), it would definitely be much better than Fallout 2.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
MasPingon said:
Have you read the design docs? While it probably wouldn't be as good as the first Fallout (although it was in some places), it would definitely be much better than Fallout 2.

Even thinking about VanBuren makes my heart hurt. I wish there was some way to finish what Black Isle started (those design docs could be very helpful)...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Even thinking about VanBuren makes my heart hurt. I wish there was some way to finish what Black Isle started (those design docs could be very helpful)...

Even using a different name for the game will do. And it was designed by the same people that are now at Obsidian. So what Obsidian is fucking waiting for? Don't they see what players that put a faith in them really want?
Yes I know that they are making Alien arpg, but I think they are making it in order to get more $$ than they usually get and that's obvious, so somebody whisper MCA that he must collar-grab Sawyer and start finishing the really worthy thing now considering they will have a budget for it.

cazsim83

Novice
Question: I'm kinda new here (okay, really new) but what's with the circle jerk between RPGCodex, NMA, and DaC?

cazsim83 said:
Question: I'm kinda new here (okay, really new) but what's with the circle jerk between RPGCodex, NMA, and DaC?

I suppose everyone is temporarily united with the whole PoS 2 dealio. I can remember a few times when the sites were at odds with one another though.

And I wouldn't say Duck and Cover has any sort of NMA jerk-off sessions....

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
kingcomrade said:
We're all in the same boat.

edit- wow, I'm now The Sentinel. Is that promotions?
"I'm going to repeat myself and say I should be made admin of GD. It will solve two problems at once. You will lose a spamgirl and gain a vigilant and merciless sentinel."

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lurkar said:
I've heard that before, but was it ever actually confirmed?

If it hasn't been, I can confirm it: he's at Blizzard. Or he was a few weeks ago when he sent me those concept arts :P

I have a hunch he's working at Team 3 on the unannounced project, but 's just a hunch.

Hah, good fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom